By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 7th gen vs 8th gen

I think the better gen was...

Wii/PS3/360/PSP/DS 64 62.75%

Wii U/PS4/Xbone/Vita/3DS 38 37.25%

Total:102

7th Gen easy.

The only 8th gen system that’s competitive with its predecessor is the 3DS, all the others are definitely a step down. 7th gen had more new and exciting stuff and as a result contains quite a few of my all-time favorites. Meanwhile 8th gen felt a bit like ‘been there done that’. The size of my 8th gen library bar 3DS also doesn’t come close to that of my 7th gen. Sure there were fun things but it was mostly just ‘eh’. This is a curse that’s apparent in every even numbered generation, except probably the 2nd and in one more than the other, where I feel the even numbered gens just build on the previous gen’s ideas without coming up with many new ideas of their own, which is just much less interesting.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 20 April 2021

Around the Network

8th gen for me, easily. The 7th gen was just a parade of letdowns all over the place. The PS3 made lofty promises that it was nowhere near delivering on, many beloved franchises made the jump and became shadows of their former selves. The controller was uninspired, the quality of the console itself was so-and-so and the prices were utterly insane.

The Xbox 360 was simply the epitome of uninteresting to me, with its heavy focus on shooters from the beginning, as well as online multiplayer, being its main focus in many ways. It had really poor build quality on top of that, there were simply no decent arguments for a PC owner to get one of these (from my point of view).

The Wii was aimed at an entirely different demographic and was the first Nintendo home console that I had no desire whatsoever to own, it was packed with shovelware and basic games, and the Wii-mote was hopeless for traditional gaming. To top it all off, Nintendo went completely overboard with prices on software and peripherals and had, by far, the worst UIs of the lot.

The PS4 delivered, it's a good console that doesn't do anything wacky, doesn't rely on gimmicks or hyperbole in marketing and it "saved" great single-player gaming on consoles in many ways when the industry was headed elsewhere. Decent pricing as well, especially on software.

The Xbox One (S) was the first Xbox I ever owned, mostly due to its immensely competitive pricing and multimedia capability. It actually plays 4K blu-ray, unlike the console made by the actual owner of the format, for some reason. During the 8th gen, MS has gone somewhat back to the roots and has focused on connecting with PC gamers again as well as tying them together with Xbox gamers. Initiatives such as gameshare are a fantastic idea.

The Wii U was a massive failure, but it forced Nintendo into rethinking their shit and ended up forcing their hand into creating a good console again. After two letdowns, I choose to see the Wii U as an important lesson for them, and that's pretty much it.

Mummelmann said:

8th gen for me, easily. The 7th gen was just a parade of letdowns all over the place. The PS3 made lofty promises that it was nowhere near delivering on, many beloved franchises made the jump and became shadows of their former selves. The controller was uninspired, the quality of the console itself was so-and-so and the prices were utterly insane.

The Xbox 360 was simply the epitome of uninteresting to me, with its heavy focus on shooters from the beginning, as well as online multiplayer, being its main focus in many ways. It had really poor build quality on top of that, there were simply no decent arguments for a PC owner to get one of these (from my point of view).

The Wii was aimed at an entirely different demographic and was the first Nintendo home console that I had no desire whatsoever to own, it was packed with shovelware and basic games, and the Wii-mote was hopeless for traditional gaming. To top it all off, Nintendo went completely overboard with prices on software and peripherals and had, by far, the worst UIs of the lot.

The PS4 delivered, it's a good console that doesn't do anything wacky, doesn't rely on gimmicks or hyperbole in marketing and it "saved" great single-player gaming on consoles in many ways when the industry was headed elsewhere. Decent pricing as well, especially on software.

The Xbox One (S) was the first Xbox I ever owned, mostly due to its immensely competitive pricing and multimedia capability. It actually plays 4K blu-ray, unlike the console made by the actual owner of the format, for some reason. During the 8th gen, MS has gone somewhat back to the roots and has focused on connecting with PC gamers again as well as tying them together with Xbox gamers. Initiatives such as gameshare are a fantastic idea.

The Wii U was a massive failure, but it forced Nintendo into rethinking their shit and ended up forcing their hand into creating a good console again. After two letdowns, I choose to see the Wii U as an important lesson for them, and that's pretty much it.

You perfectly expressed my thoughts on 7th gen vs 8th gen. After the novelty wore off I kind of lost interest in gaming mid generation, though the PS3 did get some great games in the last year of its life as Sony’s primary system. The PS4, the Wii U, and especially the Switch reminded me why I love video games. 

Purely on games alone. Leaving nostalgia out of it.

I honestly like both about the same. Taking my issues with both gens into account. They both had some severe ones. Gen 8 brought back a lot of the AA Japanese games and older-style games back. Gen 7 gave me a lot of great action games. Both gave me shmups. Both gave me some good RPGs. Gen 7 gave me the vest TPS games. Gen 8 gave me some better FPS games, If I were to give any edge it might be Gen 8 for the simple fact Nintendo's system is not a clusterfuck to use like the Wii. Libraries alone they both gave me stuff I liked and disliked. So about equal. If I went on nostalgia then Gen 7 would win. If I based it on how many games I own. Gen 8 wins. Or how many consoles of each gen then 7 wins lol it goes back and forth. I just wish the industry practices around them wasn't so shitty. Are those practices worse now? Yes but it began with Horse Armor.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

7th Gen 100% I liked all those systems, Wii aside. PSP was such an amazing handheld. So many new IPs that are now household names.

Around the Network

8th gen by far.

Wii U > Wii
PS4> PS3
XBone= Xbox 360

And I don't really play handhelds so

PSV= PSP
3DS= DS

Not only that but I can still play on my 8th gen consoles to this day! Amazing isn't it? For some reason my 7th gen consoles decided they wouldn't work at all after a short period of time.

I feel like Gen 7 also just had more memorable and mind blowing moments; seeing Gears of War for the first time after being used to 6th gen graphics, seeing foliage snap and trees fall in Crysis or the skyscraper collapse and train sequences of Uncharted 2, playing Wii Sports Resort for the first time and feeling like I was playing something futuristic from Star Trek, aiming with the pinpoint precision of the pointer in Metroid Prime 3, or the mind-bending micro-gravity shenanigans of Super Mario Galaxy.

7th gen has to be experienced on PC. In particular during the end of their life cycle we got 24fps with 60° fov and that is just not playable anymore. 8th gen games are holding up well (except Cyberpunk) on real hardware.

7th. So much was happening back then in the hardware department. Motion controls, HD graphics, blu-ray, sony's first handheld, touch/dual screen. 8th gen was just a copy/paste with more POWARAH!

Shadow1980 said:

The biggest negatives were MS's output not being quite as good as it was on the 360, and the increased prevalence of live service games and the aggressive push for microtransactions that came along with them.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, the prevalence of microtransactions, gambling mechanics, games that are always online even in single player, and other such exploitative BS are a big strike against Gen 8 in my view.