I think the better gen was...

Wii/PS3/360/PSP/DS 64 62.75%

Wii U/PS4/Xbone/Vita/3DS 38 37.25%

Total:102

I was wondering

I not only choose 7th over 8th

But also 6th over 5th

As well 4th over 3rd

I feel like those generations comes to pretty much polish the generation before it. While 7th, 5th and 3rd were more innovative and disruptive, releasing games with new mechanics/gameplay and/or bigger scope, only one generation later those ideas really translate in perfecting games with polished mechanics, quality of life improvements, better graphics, etc 

For instance I love PS1 and N64 games, but I don't think they are better than SNES games just... different?   

The downside of this perspective is 9th isn't exactly looking disruptive for Sony and MS side. Only Switch is really disruptive so far

Hope to be proved wrong though 

Around the Network

The 7th gen gets my vote; it felt more fresh, more exciting, like there constantly new barriers being broken in terms of games showing us new possibilities we'd never experienced before.

Gen 8 did have some great games; Witcher 3, Hellblade, Doom 2016 & Eternal, BOTW, and Bayonetta 2 for example.

But for me Gen 7 just dwarves it; we got Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Uncharted 1-3, Mass Effect 1-3, Halo 3/4/Reach, Gears of War 1-3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Portal 1 & 2, Dead Space... the list just goes on and on.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 April 2021

Cerebralbore101 said:
Pemalite said:

7th Gen by a long mile with the Xbox 360 definitely having the console edge in terms of game hours invested. (Although PC definitely trounces everything.)

8th gen just felt like a continuation of the 7th gen in every regard, games didn't really open up and become new experiences, they just took a step forwards to higher visual settings that I was already enjoying on PC anyway.

@Bolded This is why a lot of people don't consider PS3 or 360 to be retrogaming even though both systems are over ten years old. Games from the early 3D era feel markedly different from games of the 2D era. Games from the 6th gen feel markedly different from games of the 7th gen. But 8th gen? That's just 7th gen with extra graphical bells and whistles. 

I mean, the jump from 7th gen to 8th gen doesn't feel like there is allot of extra graphical bells and whistles... This is coming from a PC gamer.

During the 7th gen we had games like Crysis, Metro, Battlefield 3 on PC which offered Generation-8 levels of visual quality, years before the 8th gen consoles launched.

Especially Battlefield 3 which really pushed the deferred renderer angle and Tessellation, which made allot of jaws drop with the amazing (for the time) lighting quality.

Fast forward to the 9th gen and the feeling is more or less the same, Ray Tracing is great, but that's just a refinement bolted on top of current games.

7th gen, especially the PC ports really pushed expectations...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Im curious to know those who think the 8th gen is better than the 7th gen.

For me it would be 7th gen as well. On top of what Curl said, we also had great jrpgs especially on 360 like blue dragon, lost oddysey, eternal sonata, lost remnant to name a few. We also had amazing platforms like kameo. Alot more varieties.

Around the Network

7th gen and its not even close

7th, by far.

That was the time when then all third party; EA, Ubi, SEGA, Konami etc were all firing from all cylinders with new fresh idea's and games. And the same goes for first party studios from the three console makers. Gen 8 was a continuation of seven and was a lot safer all round though the quality was there to back it up (for the most part). We generally just got less games.

BraLoD said:

8th gen simply because of the PS4.
PS4 was better than all the stuff from 7th gen combined.

Didn't the PS3 have LoD on the PSN store though?  ?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

BraLoD said:

PS4 was better than all the stuff from 7th gen combined.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Qa 7th gen was the green where I finally discovered
-Online gaming
-Video/Voice chat
-Motion controls
-DLC
-Digital Download games
-Indie games
-Multi-media functions (Netflix, etc)
-Achievements/Trophies
-Web browsers
-Cloud saves
-Mods on console games
Much, much, much more.

8th gen
-Game DVR
-VR gaming
-Streaming games

And I think 7th gen introduced more epic franchises.
EASILY 7th gen. It was the b best gen, ever.