By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro game recommendation thread

Powerslave remaster from Nightdive is due out on Feb 10th on Switch, PS4, XB1 and PC. One of the best first person shooters out there. Get on it people.

Around the Network
Spindel said:
snyps said:

That would be insane. I remember leaving my Nintendo on overnight since we couldn’t figure out how to pass a section, and we stayed up late trying. 

WTH why?

It has a password system, it's just to go to the passage again the next day. 

I love that game and I personally think it gets to much shit either from people that have not played it at all or people that need handholding. I love that some NPCs give nonsense tips or that some NPCs straight up mislead you, you know like real people would. 

There of course are some aspects that is really annoying, like the text box at every day/night shift that you can't skip and takes several seconds to print out the text. Even if that gets old really fast the actual day/night mechanic is a good thing and Simon's Quest was one of the first (if not the first) game that had something like that.  

When I played it, I very often didn’t understand what I was supposed to do. That could’ve been my youth at fault, I haven’t played it since. But I know that when you die or reset the game, you lose all your money. I think that was why we kept it on. We thought we needed to buy something but didn’t know where. Also, the books you read only give you one chance to read them, so sections like kneeling with the red crystal might be impossible to figure out. 

Honestly though, after considering all this, I’m interested in taking you up on your recommendation. I’ll try it and see how it goes. I loved the idea of Simons quest and I still respect it for having all of that potential way back before anyone else was doing that stuff. Thanks for the recommendation. 

snyps said:
Spindel said:

WTH why?

It has a password system, it's just to go to the passage again the next day. 

I love that game and I personally think it gets to much shit either from people that have not played it at all or people that need handholding. I love that some NPCs give nonsense tips or that some NPCs straight up mislead you, you know like real people would. 

There of course are some aspects that is really annoying, like the text box at every day/night shift that you can't skip and takes several seconds to print out the text. Even if that gets old really fast the actual day/night mechanic is a good thing and Simon's Quest was one of the first (if not the first) game that had something like that.  

When I played it, I very often didn’t understand what I was supposed to do. That could’ve been my youth at fault, I haven’t played it since. But I know that when you die or reset the game, you lose all your money. I think that was why we kept it on. We thought we needed to buy something but didn’t know where. Also, the books you read only give you one chance to read them, so sections like kneeling with the red crystal might be impossible to figure out. 

Honestly though, after considering all this, I’m interested in taking you up on your recommendation. I’ll try it and see how it goes. I loved the idea of Simons quest and I still respect it for having all of that potential way back before anyone else was doing that stuff. Thanks for the recommendation. 

A tip is to have pen and paper by you and write down tid bits that seem important yourself. 

I like the game because it's no bull shit hand holding in it.

Spindel said:
snyps said:

A tip is to have pen and paper by you and write down tid bits that seem important yourself. 

I could see where some parts would lose all challenge if you know the tricks. I like the original Metroid for the no handholding aspect too. I like when I get to figure stuff out. 

snyps said:
Spindel said:

I could see where some parts would lose all challenge if you know the tricks. I like the original Metroid for the no handholding aspect too. I like when I get to figure stuff out. 

That is why the original Metroid is my favorite Metroid game. 

That is also why, in this day and age, if I ever designed a video game it would flop horribly. I can recognize that my preferences are niche.  

Around the Network

As many have, I would recommend the EarthBound (Mother) games. They're now on NSO.
I would recommend playing Beginnings first, even if you have to speed it up or sometimes use states. I still enjoyed it, but I played it last of the trilogy.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I had a Saturn with an Action Replay +. I still have Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III.

Here's a retro recommendation. It was made in 1979.

Spindel said:
snyps said:

That is also why, in this day and age, if I ever designed a video game it would flop horribly. I can recognize that my preferences are niche.  

Your tastes are not actually as niche as you think.  Original Metroid was the best selling 2D Metroid for decades until the recent release of Metroid Dread.  Also, Metroid Dread just barely outsold it will a much higher user base.

Your tastes aren't niche, but the internet perception of Metroid is screwed up.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Spindel said:

Your tastes are not actually as niche as you think.  Original Metroid was the best selling 2D Metroid for decades until the recent release of Metroid Dread.  Also, Metroid Dread just barely outsold it will a much higher user base.

Your tastes aren't niche, but the internet perception of Metroid is screwed up.

I refer to my preferred games more in general even if original Metroid is a good example. 

I wan't hard games, games where you can get lost (like original Metroid). And where, if you don't memorize, you might have to pull out pen and paper to write down clues or the map by yourself. 

Most modern games are way to heavy with the handholding. Or they implement poor mechanics to make them "hard" (yeah Souls games are not hard because of good design but because of clunky design). 

Another prime example is Elder Scrolls, I loved Morrowind to death when it came out. Then when I finally got to play Skyrim (some 6 years after it's initial release, never played Oblivion) I was sourly disappointed. Arrows to all your missions, so you can't get lost, enemies that scale so you basically can't by misstake wonder into an area and get crushed into pulp. No real sense of progression since all enemies basically always are as easy/difficult to kill etc.