By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro game recommendation thread

snyps said:

Actraiser (snes)

Best retro game. Sound/graphics, hack n slash, and town building. An epic experience.

Best part of Actraiser: The whole thing.

Worst part of Actraiser: Realizing Actraiser 2 wasn't even trying to be like the first one.

Around the Network

Now I just have to get a MODE to put in it and a second controller!

I finished this underrated niche game for the first time yesterday. Think it was called 'Resident Evil 2' for the PS1.

Pretty good game in my opinion. Would highly recommend for fans of indie games.

Super Mario RPG and Gradius V

dx11332sega said:

Get Jung rthym for Sega Saturn , Sega Saturn version of parappa the rapper

@Cerebralbore101 

I'll keep it in mind, but probably not gonna get around to playing it. Too many Saturn games playable on MODE already + my 100+ Genesis collection.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

Get Jung rthym for Sega Saturn , Sega Saturn version of parappa the rapper

@Cerebralbore101 

Wow, not bad

Final Fantasy VI is probably my fav retro-game... could definitely use a remake.

I would recommend Pokemon [color=#000000]Firered as it is perhaps my fav from the nintendo era!

SegaHeart said:

This has to be said , As a used to be collector, If you're trying to resell , It's best to resell it online on amazon or ebay . buying these and trying to sell locally no-one is willing to pay pricecharting I know because I got stuck with alot of games I dont care. Just buy what you like or buy what you wanna play? When visiting your local gamestore. It's not wise trying to overprice your games in facebook local pickups or craiglist , locals dont care for shrek ps2 , madden 10 from ps3 or your 400 $ PS vita brand new , locals are not desperate and the locals see your weakness , you don't know how to sell online with shipping so almost 100% buyers will lowball you hardcore because you're incapable to send a game on ebay from US to canada.

The reality that I see is that there are games that are meant to become collectibles - games that are popular with the retro market, games that were manufactured in low quantities and of course games that are both popular with retro gamers and were printed in low supply (eg. Earthbound SNES) - and then there are games that are just not.  If you have any of the former types of games, they will practically sell themselves online right now.  Honestly, in the last 7 years the value of most Gamecube/PS1/SNES RPG's have at least doubled on the used market.  My experience is that an open auction on Ebay will end at a sale price higher than most experienced sellers are pricing their games right now because of just how rapidly the value of these collectibles are exploding.  For example, last spring I was trying to buy a Dragon Warrior II cart for the NES and was blown away by the fact that most sellers were asking for around $60 USD.  I decided to try an auction thinking that I would get a better price and in the last 10 minutes the game got bid up to close to $80 USD.  A month later I tried an auction and the same game sold for around $100 USD.

Of course sports game and v. low quality games (eg. games based on movies) are generally not seeing the price hikes (there are some exceptions to this so it is still good to check).  That said, a lot of RPGs (especially JRPGs because of the low manufacturing runs) are becoming very valuable.  I think that the key for any seller is to go through their library and then spend some time on Ebay and see what the current prices are for each their games.  Also, pay close attention to condition and pricing when reviewing price listings for your games because some older games have a very high price differential between used, complete-in-box and new conditions.  Games in your collection that are valuable (eg. greater than or close to MSRP) I would definitely recommend selling on Ebay.  If you are inexperienced in selling, just restrict the listing to domestic buyers as the shipping should become more straight forward.  Personally, as a Canadian, it is not an issue for me if an item only ships to the US since I have all of my US purchases ship to my MyUS.com suite anyways (it saves a ton on shipping and everything gets collated into a single delivery and so I don't have to deal with the customs nightmare of paying duties and going to the post office to pick up a ton of small items).

These are just some of my own thoughts.  I honestly don't have much experience selling games but I have a lot of experience buying used games.  From my perspective, it is definitely a seller's market right now for any of the games (or gaming hardware) that is exploding in value.  That said, I agree that for anything that has value it's best to do your selling on Ebay and not locally.  Even if you sell to your local retro gameshop they are not going to give you what you can get online and they will generally resell the game at a price that is higher than what you will pay online.  That said, for cheap games that you just want to get off your hands selling to a local gameshop that resells retro games might be the most headache-free way to get rid of it.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
snyps said:

Actraiser (snes)

Best retro game. Sound/graphics, hack n slash, and town building. An epic experience.

Best part of Actraiser: The whole thing.

Worst part of Actraiser: Realizing Actraiser 2 wasn't even trying to be like the first one.

Yes ? I heard dark cloud (ps2) was the spiritual successor but I didn’t play it.