By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo reportedly forecasting a record breaking fiscal year in terms of Hardware + Software sales

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-reportedly-expecting-another-record-year-for-software-with-a-series-of-major-games

According to sources from Bloomberg, Nintendo is supposedly forecasting a record breaking fiscal year from March 2021 to March 2022 in terms of hardware and software sales. The supposed forecast for software sales next fiscal year is 250 Million games sold, which would easily beat the software sales record in a year and would beat this fiscal year's forecast, which is currently 205 Million games sold. Nintendo is forecasting software sales growth as a result of a multitude of major game releases supposed to release this year which will drive up software sales to record breaking territory.

This rumor coincides with the fact that Nintendo's R&D expenses have been skyrocketing the most recent fiscal years/quarters, which could mean Nintendo has a robust lineup of games down the pipeline.

Along with high software sales, the Switch hardware sales are even forecasted to remain flat or slightly up from this fiscal year, which is mind-blowing to say since this fiscal year was already historical for the Switch and to expect an increase means that Nintendo definitely has something up their sleeve to boost Switch hardware sales. Bloomberg suggests the New rumored Switch Pro model is expected to lift up Switch hardware sales for the year along with a robust software lineup.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

IMO, if true it gets me pretty hyped realizing that this year we might have a robust year in terms of software to be expecting 250 Million games sold. If this forecast is true i'd honestly expect Mario Kart 9 to be released within the fiscal year since the Mario Kart series has always been known to sell insanely well. BOTW 2 maybe and a bunch of other franchises. It also makes me hopeful of a Switch Pro releasing this year and being a pretty substantial upgrade for Nintendo to expect better hardware sales. Also, if next fiscal year's hardware sales increase from last or remain generally flat, it will be pretty evident at that point the Switch will be up their with PS2 and DS sales which I'll be happy to see a great system like the Switch succeed. We just have to wait and see.

Around the Network

I think people will keep in denial until numbers proves they are wrong

Software sales wise there is absolutely no chance for 2021 not beating 2020, in reality even 2022 are very likely to surpass 2020

As for Hardware sales I'm sure new model + Christmas line up will bring enough sales to surpass 2020 Q3 and Q4, but Q1 and Q2 will probably go down because no Animal Crossing this year, if it will be enough to pull over 30 million sales it still yet to be seen 

IcaroRibeiro said:

I think people will keep in denial until numbers proves they are wrong

Software sales wise there is absolutely no chance for 2021 not beating 2020, in reality even 2022 are very likely to surpass 2020

As for Hardware sales I'm sure new model + Christmas line up will bring enough sales to surpass 2020 Q3 and Q4, but Q1 and Q2 will probably go down because no Animal Crossing this year, if it will be enough to pull over 30 million sales it still yet to be seen 

Nothing wrong with not believing something until there is evidence. So, if and when Nintendo shows that they have a great lineup of games, I'll believe it. Till then, I remain skeptical. 

What’s the record for a fiscal year in terms of software for a single platform??

250 million games sold? That's a lot of money.

Around the Network

March 2021 to march 2022 would not include Monster hunter rise launch right? It would probably still add significant numbers but miss out on the initial numbers.

With all the evergreens + pokemon remake, pokemon snap, zelda SS remake, mario golf, monster hunter stories, etc and a few more unannounced games I could see it happen.

Apkopf said:

March 2021 to march 2022 would not include Monster hunter rise launch right? It would probably still add significant numbers but miss out on the initial numbers.

With all the evergreens + pokemon remake, pokemon snap, zelda SS remake, mario golf, monster hunter stories, etc and a few more unannounced games I could see it happen.

It will, essentially any games sold during the fiscal year but that would exclude Monster Hunters launch week.

Apkopf said:

Pretty sure Arceus will make it too and I'm sure that will sell gangbusters. If this prediction becomes true and there's a Switch pro this year or the start of the next year I feel pretty certain the Switch will become Nintendo's best selling system and maybe even the best selling Console of all time.

I think is plausible on both accounts.

Software will only be up and scale with hardware sales. Their 205m projection for this fiscal year hasn't been updated since summer so is probably out of date and they will hit 210-215m this year.

Although there will be no AC size hit, there will be even more ever greens including AC, 3D World and the older ones won't stop selling. There will be a few 10m sellers in that fiscal year (MHR- excluding launch week), Pokemon Remakes, Pokemon Legends which will make up for the lack of a single AC size smash. Other smaller titles like Mario Golf/Pokemon Snap/Skyward Sword/MH Stories will sell around 3-5m each. Much more 3rd party support. But yeah, it does allude to one big holiday title that doesn't have a release date. BOTW2 alongside a new switch would make a lot of sense and sell over 10m for sure. I'm assuming Splatoon 2 will not arrive before March 2022.

Right I forgot about Pokémon Legends Arceus. That one could be really big even if released later in the first quarter since Pokémon games tend to sell a lot in their opening weeks.