By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo reportedly forecasting a record breaking fiscal year in terms of Hardware + Software sales

RolStoppable said:
Amnesia said:

My prediction is a coming FY22 around 80-90% of the one just finishing now (FY21).
For HW I mean, for SW it could be more.
I just absolutely don't see any new coming game which would act as a HW boost.
The only one which could tempt me to buy a Switch, is a F-ZERO. A remake of GX is enough to me.

I only like Breath of the Wild and I have it on Wii U....Well then it is 2 games which tempt me. :|

There are already strong rumors about a significant hardware revision coming this calendar year. The timing coincides with the expected launch window of Breath of the Wild 2, so Nintendo has set themselves up for a sales pitch where they can show off a better performing BotW2 on the upcoming hardware revision.

While Sony and Microsoft have launched hardware upgrades last generation, neither one of them managed to or tried to combine their respective launch with a signature title, so Nintendo's approach could prove to be a lot more successful.

The rumors suggest that Nintendo will have a setup of three SKUs in the near future (regular hybrid, Lite and upgraded hybrid model) and as we've already seen with the Lite bringing additive sales rather than seriously cutting into the hybrid's sales, a similar effect can be expected here. That's why I consider the potential for an even bigger hardware year for Switch real rather than dreaming. There was a bit of a trade-off between hybrid and Lite sales, but overall it was still a net gain; the new SKU should behave similarly, so I expect the known hybrid's sales to decline slightly in the upcoming fiscal year, but total Switch hardware to stay flat of increase slightly.

What makes Switch predictions hard is that Nintendo keeps their cards close to their chest, so their first party software release schedule is largely unknown. If they have more 10m+ sellers than only BotW2 and Pokémon remake, that will obviously increase the odds for a record year.

I don't think we can call this rumors anymore. They are planning to launch a revision this year meaning there will be big titles releasing for the end of the year. It might get delayed if the chip situation is too bad tho. It's kinda obvious the other 2 models will get a price cut to differentiate with the new revision. They will push the Switch hard at the end of the year.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Amnesia said:

My prediction is a coming FY22 around 80-90% of the one just finishing now (FY21).
For HW I mean, for SW it could be more.
The only one which could tempt me to buy a Switch, is a F-ZERO. A remake of GX is enough to me.

I only like Breath of the Wild and I have it on Wii U....Well then it is 2 games which tempt me. :|

There are already strong rumors about a significant hardware revision coming this calendar year. The timing coincides with the expected launch window of Breath of the Wild 2, so Nintendo has set themselves up for a sales pitch where they can show off a better performing BotW2 on the upcoming hardware revision.

While Sony and Microsoft have launched hardware upgrades last generation, neither one of them managed to or tried to combine their respective launch with a signature title, so Nintendo's approach could prove to be a lot more successful.

The rumors suggest that Nintendo will have a setup of three SKUs in the near future (regular hybrid, Lite and upgraded hybrid model) and as we've already seen with the Lite bringing additive sales rather than seriously cutting into the hybrid's sales, a similar effect can be expected here. That's why I consider the potential for an even bigger hardware year for Switch real rather than dreaming. There was a bit of a trade-off between hybrid and Lite sales, but overall it was still a net gain; the new SKU should behave similarly, so I expect the known hybrid's sales to decline slightly in the upcoming fiscal year, but total Switch hardware to stay flat of increase slightly.

What makes Switch predictions hard is that Nintendo keeps their cards close to their chest, so their first party software release schedule is largely unknown. If they have more 10m+ sellers than only BotW2 and Pokémon remake, that will obviously increase the odds for a record year.

Hopefully we get a newer revision this year. I know a disabled child who I intend to donate my Mariko Switch to.
Also hoping for a Switch TV.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

curl-6 said:
Amnesia said:

New Pokemon Snap and the Diamond/Pearl remakes both have enormous nostalgic value to many and will move hardware, while BOTW2, Pokemon Legends and Splatoon 3 could all potentially arrive within this FY.

But people who like those games already have a Switch...I am a very marginal case, the only reason I refuse to buy one still after 4 years is to save my free time for other critical projects.

They even have to pull Super Mario 3d All Stars from the shelves, to avoid the software sales going completely through the roof.

Wouldn't be too hard for Nintendo to achieve such sales considering that they more popular then they have ever been.
9 out of 10 games were Switch games on this weeks UK sales chart: https://www.vgchartz.com/article/448104/uk-weekly-week-12-2021/

Around the Network
Amnesia said: But people who like those games already have a Switch...

Come on you have more sense than that

Amnesia said:
curl-6 said:

New Pokemon Snap and the Diamond/Pearl remakes both have enormous nostalgic value to many and will move hardware, while BOTW2, Pokemon Legends and Splatoon 3 could all potentially arrive within this FY.

But people who like those games already have a Switch...I am a very marginal case, the only reason I refuse to buy one still after 4 years is to save my free time for other critical projects.

Not necessarily, no. 

Many of those with intense nostalgia for Diamond/Pearl may have been uninterested in Let's Go and Sword/Shield and not jumped in for them. Same goes for those nostalgic for snap. Legends already seems to be impressing those who felt let down by Switch's existing Pokemon games, and as for BOTW2, sequels often push hardware despite a predecessor already being on that hardware.

Then of course there's the rumored hardware revision, plenty of room for price cuts, new IPs or expanded audience software like Ring Fit that have yet to be announced, there's tons of room for Switch to grow.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 March 2021

curl-6 said:
Amnesia said:

Not necessarily, no. 

Many of those with intense nostalgia for Diamond/Pearl may have been uninterested in Let's Go and Sword/Shield and not jumped in for them. Same goes for those nostalgic for snap. Legends already seems to be impressing those who felt let down by Switch's existing Pokemon games, and as for BOTW2, sequels often push hardware despite a predecessor already being on that hardware.

Then of course there's the rumored hardware revision, plenty of room for price cuts, new IPs or expanded audience software like Ring Fit that have yet to be announced, there's tons of room for Switch to grow.

This sumarizes what I've seen pretty well. I know many people who played Diamond and Pearl when they were younger, and because of the remake are buying a Switch, granted this is only around 5 people, but that's 4 more people than I know that own Let's Go

Last edited by badskywalker - on 29 March 2021

VAMatt said:
Agente42 said:

normally, it's too conservative 

They miss both ways.  Last couple of years it has been too conservative.  But, just a few years before that they were regularly underperforming their own projections.

Their accuracy is better than the vast majority of analysts in the same time frame. Also quite good given the number variables they have to consider.

Who could have POSSIBLY predicted the mass hit of Link falling down videos?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.