By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which post-NES console introduced the best new Nintendo franchises?

 

I choose...

SNES 18 29.51%
 
N64 22 36.07%
 
Gamecube 6 9.84%
 
Wii 11 18.03%
 
Wii U 1 1.64%
 
Switch 3 4.92%
 
Total:61

I voted Gamecube originally, for Chibi Robo and Animal Crossing, forgetting the Japanese version which began on the N64. If i could, i'd change my vote to N64, for Smash and Animal crossing.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Not listed, Gameboy with Pokemon.

Of the listed, SNES because of Mario Kart, one of the best franchises of all time and best selling franchises of all time.



Nintendo with the Switch:

I have to go with Wii, for the power of Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower alone. But Wii Sports and Sports Resort were also great games. So this overall makes Wii the winner.

Otherwise I would go with Gamecube, as it introduced Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

HoangNhatAnh said:
curl-6 said:

SNES: Mario Kart, Starfox, F-Zero, Pilot Wings

N64: Smash Bros, 1080 Snowboarding, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Sin & Punishment, Mario Party

Gamecube: Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Geist, Eternal Darkness

Wii: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Wii Sports, Wii Fit

Wii U: Splatoon

Switch: ARMS, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain

Also, some I'm not sure whether or not they're technically Nintendo IPs: The Last Story, Endless Ocean, and Pandora's Tower for Wii, Eternal Darkness for Gamecube. Can anyone shed some light here?

Nintendo owns all.

Jumpin said:

As a note, Wave Race 64 was a sequel.

And while Paper Mario became its own brand, the original game was developed and promoted as a sequel to Mario RPG.

I don’t think Geist and Eternal Darkness would count since these are third party games that were published by Nintendo, but were one-offs rather than franchises.

Nin owns Eternal Darkness trademark.

Pemalite said:

SNES. - Killer Instinct.
N64. - Perfect Dark.
Gamecube. - Luigi's Mansion.
Wii. - Xenoblade.
WiiU. - Nothing comes to mind.
Switch. - Astral Chain.

WiiU Splatoon.

mjk45 said:

Ganbarion developed the game Nintendo published the Pal version and Xseed published the NA version , so the developer most likely owns the IP.

Edit it turns out that Nintendo released a NA digital Edition later without Xseeds knowledge so they may own it , aren't you glad I cleared that up for you.

Nin owns Pandora's Tower IP.

According to the Nintendo online store the Pandora's Tower copyright is owned by both Ganbarion and Nintendo and The Last Story is owned by Mistwalker and Nntendo.
It seems to be the same situation that Nintendo has with Koei Tecmo, in which they both own half of the Fatal Frame franchise. Nintendo learned this approach from long time Nintendo partner Owe Bergsten who only ever buys 50% of a company so that they can be on equal terms rather than one ruling the other.
The rest is owned by Nintendo.



Soren0079 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Nintendo owns all.

Jumpin said:

As a note, Wave Race 64 was a sequel.

And while Paper Mario became its own brand, the original game was developed and promoted as a sequel to Mario RPG.

I don’t think Geist and Eternal Darkness would count since these are third party games that were published by Nintendo, but were one-offs rather than franchises.

Nin owns Eternal Darkness trademark.

WiiU Splatoon.

mjk45 said:

Ganbarion developed the game Nintendo published the Pal version and Xseed published the NA version , so the developer most likely owns the IP.

Edit it turns out that Nintendo released a NA digital Edition later without Xseeds knowledge so they may own it , aren't you glad I cleared that up for you.

Nin owns Pandora's Tower IP.

According to the Nintendo online store the Pandora's Tower copyright is owned by both Ganbarion and Nintendo and The Last Story is owned by Mistwalker and Nntendo.
It seems to be the same situation that Nintendo has with Koei Tecmo, in which they both own half of the Fatal Frame franchise. Nintendo learned this approach from long time Nintendo partner Owe Bergsten who only ever buys 50% of a company so that they can be on equal terms rather than one ruling the other.
The rest is owned by Nintendo.

https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-last-story-wii-trademark/



Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Soren0079 said:

According to the Nintendo online store the Pandora's Tower copyright is owned by both Ganbarion and Nintendo and The Last Story is owned by Mistwalker and Nntendo.
It seems to be the same situation that Nintendo has with Koei Tecmo, in which they both own half of the Fatal Frame franchise. Nintendo learned this approach from long time Nintendo partner Owe Bergsten who only ever buys 50% of a company so that they can be on equal terms rather than one ruling the other.
The rest is owned by Nintendo.

https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-last-story-wii-trademark/

Right. Nintendos website mentioned the copyright being shared with Mistwalker. I failed to state that fact.
Their store never mentions trademarks, which is perfectly normal.



Soren0079 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-last-story-wii-trademark/

Right. Nintendos website mentioned the copyright being shared with Mistwalker. I failed to state that fact.
Their store never mentions trademarks, which is perfectly normal.

So in the end, Nin still has the trademarks of those ips.



Some additional franchises that I thought of:

SNES: Yoshi's Island (Yoshi's Story, Woolly World, Crafted World series)
N64: Pokemon Snap (N64, Switch), Pokemon Stadium (Coliseum)
Wii U: Super Mario Maker (this and Splatoon were major innovation from Nintendo, imo, during the Wii U era)

From a commercial success perspective, Pokemon has really been Nintendo's biggest new-IP find since the NES days. While this started on a handheld, the N64 was really the first home console that saw Pokemon games and it did get a lot of them and so I will give N64 the Pokemon prize for the purposes of this thread. Smash Bros is probably #3 on the list for new IPs in terms of popularity post-NES after Pokemon and Mario Kart and so I will have to say that the N64 is the overall winner here.

It's a tough question though because the SNES had so many franchises that started on the NES but rose to fame in a major way on the SNES (Mother, Final Fantasy, Metroid), it just seems unfair to give all the glory to the NES for these franchises.



Wii U

Only reducing the Wii U to Splatoon really ain't cutting it, there are tons more:

  • Super Mario Maker
  • NES Remix
  • Tokio Mirage Sessions
  • Nintendoland
  • The Wonderful 101 (at the time Nintendo still owned the IP)
  • Hyrule Warriors (if it counts?)



Soundwave said:

SNES or N64, c'mon. The other systems are not even close. Putting things like Pandora's Tower and Geist in the same vein as freaking Super Mario Kart, lulz. Xenoblade is nice but it's a B-tier Nintendo franchise at best. 

Won't be laughing much until it gets as popular as Final Fantasy in a few years :P 

(Which is honestly not such a bold statement)



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909