By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which post-NES console introduced the best new Nintendo franchises?

I choose...

SNES 18 29.51%

N64 22 36.07%

Gamecube 6 9.84%

Wii 11 18.03%

Wii U 1 1.64%

Switch 3 4.92%

Total:61
curl-6 said:

I did indeed forget Astral Chain, I've added it to the OP.

Still not sure about games like Geist or Pandora's Tower, they're Nintendo published but I'm unsure if they actually own the IP.

Ganbarion developed the game Nintendo published the Pal version and Xseed published the NA version , so the developer most likely owns the IP.

Edit it turns out that Nintendo released a NA digital Edition later without Xseeds knowledge so they may own it , aren't you glad I cleared that up for you.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 14 March 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Dand said:

Wonderful 101 belongs to Nintendo.
PlatinumGames were even surprised that Nintendo allowed them to published It on other plataforms.
And i am not sure, but i believe Endless Ocean is a Nintendo ip too.

No it doesn't, Platinum Games own the Wonderful 101 IP, they gained it from Nintendo as part of the deal that saw them sell their 50% of Astral Chain.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Shadow1980 said:

Third-party franchises don't count?

I'm gonna say the SNES either way.

I meant Nintendo franchises, sorry should've been more clear about that.

Its pretty Hard but i would go with Wii and Xenoblade.

Donkey Kong Country was introduced on the SNES, right?? 

Wii is my choice. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

SNES: Mario Kart, Starfox, F-Zero, Pilot Wings

N64: Smash Bros, 1080 Snowboarding, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Sin & Punishment, Mario Party

Gamecube: Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Geist, Eternal Darkness

Wii: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Wii Sports, Wii Fit

Wii U: Splatoon

Switch: ARMS, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain

Also, some I'm not sure whether or not they're technically Nintendo IPs: The Last Story, Endless Ocean, and Pandora's Tower for Wii, Eternal Darkness for Gamecube. Can anyone shed some light here?

Nintendo owns all.

Jumpin said:

As a note, Wave Race 64 was a sequel.

And while Paper Mario became its own brand, the original game was developed and promoted as a sequel to Mario RPG.

I don’t think Geist and Eternal Darkness would count since these are third party games that were published by Nintendo, but were one-offs rather than franchises.

Nin owns Eternal Darkness trademark.

Pemalite said:

SNES. - Killer Instinct.
N64. - Perfect Dark.
Gamecube. - Luigi's Mansion.
Wii. - Xenoblade.
WiiU. - Nothing comes to mind.
Switch. - Astral Chain.

WiiU Splatoon.

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

I did indeed forget Astral Chain, I've added it to the OP.

Still not sure about games like Geist or Pandora's Tower, they're Nintendo published but I'm unsure if they actually own the IP.

Ganbarion developed the game Nintendo published the Pal version and Xseed published the NA version , so the developer most likely owns the IP.

Edit it turns out that Nintendo released a NA digital Edition later without Xseeds knowledge so they may own it , aren't you glad I cleared that up for you.

Nin owns Pandora's Tower IP.

Gamecube for Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion, they are pretty neat.

Wii U for the Xenoblade Chronicles X franchise

SNES or N64, c'mon. The other systems are not even close. Putting things like Pandora's Tower and Geist in the same vein as freaking Super Mario Kart, lulz. Xenoblade is nice but it's a B-tier Nintendo franchise at best. 

I voted Gamecube originally, for Chibi Robo and Animal Crossing, forgetting the Japanese version which began on the N64. If i could, i'd change my vote to N64, for Smash and Animal crossing.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Not listed, Gameboy with Pokemon.

Of the listed, SNES because of Mario Kart, one of the best franchises of all time and best selling franchises of all time.

Nintendo with the Switch: