By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which post-NES console introduced the best new Nintendo franchises?

I choose...

SNES 18 29.51%

N64 22 36.07%

Gamecube 6 9.84%

Wii 11 18.03%

Wii U 1 1.64%

Switch 3 4.92%

Total:61
Soundwave said:

Xenoblade is nice but it's a B-tier Nintendo franchise at best. 

In sales maybe; in quality I'd say it's absolutely A-tier. I'd take Xenoblade over any new IP from the N64, Gamecube, Wii U, or Switch.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Xenoblade is nice but it's a B-tier Nintendo franchise at best. 

In sales maybe; in quality I'd say it's absolutely A-tier. I'd take Xenoblade over any new IP from the N64, Gamecube, Wii U, or Switch.

Super Smash, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime and Astral Chain are dope though.

Illusion said:

Some additional franchises that I thought of:

SNES: Yoshi's Island (Yoshi's Story, Woolly World, Crafted World series)
N64: Pokemon Snap (N64, Switch), Pokemon Stadium (Coliseum)
Wii U: Super Mario Maker (this and Splatoon were major innovation from Nintendo, imo, during the Wii U era)

From a commercial success perspective, Pokemon has really been Nintendo's biggest new-IP find since the NES days. While this started on a handheld, the N64 was really the first home console that saw Pokemon games and it did get a lot of them and so I will give N64 the Pokemon prize for the purposes of this thread. Smash Bros is probably #3 on the list for new IPs in terms of popularity post-NES after Pokemon and Mario Kart and so I will have to say that the N64 is the overall winner here.

It's a tough question though because the SNES had so many franchises that started on the NES but rose to fame in a major way on the SNES (Mother, Final Fantasy, Metroid), it just seems unfair to give all the glory to the NES for these franchises.

Almost every first party franchise was bigger on the NES than on the SNES.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, etc... were all more popular on the NES (i.e. sold better).  Mother only made it out of Japan on the SNES, but it had disappointing sales.  The notable first party games on the SNES were either bigger on the NES or brand new series (Mario Kart, DKC).

Third party games are a different story though.  Third party games often were more successful on the SNES.  Final Fantasy is a good example.  (Although PS1 Final Fantasy was far more popular than SNES Final Fantasy.)

There really only need to be two choices in the poll - SNES and N64. There just isn't any competition from the other systems.

Between those two, I'll go SNES because of Kart. That's possibly their most important franchise, period.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Almost every first party franchise was bigger on the NES than on the SNES.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, etc... were all more popular on the NES (i.e. sold better).  Mother only made it out of Japan on the SNES, but it had disappointing sales.  The notable first party games on the SNES were either bigger on the NES or brand new series (Mario Kart, DKC).

Third party games are a different story though.  Third party games often were more successful on the SNES.  Final Fantasy is a good example.  (Although PS1 Final Fantasy was far more popular than SNES Final Fantasy.)

I know what you're saying and you are right in terms of sales and commercial success and a lot of this is because the SNES, in general, was a significantly less successful console compared to the NES due to the competition from Sega.

That being said, if you forget about sales for a moment and ask people about the greatest old-school RPG's of all-time (at least in North America) lots of people are going to give you Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6/3, and Chrono Trigger in their top 5.  Games like Final Fantasy and Mother 1 (which obviously wasn't localized) will be nowhere on that list.  Even games like Metroid which were for sure very popular on the NES was significantly eclipsed by Super Metroid in terms of adoration from fans, at least today.  I can't think of many people who would tell you in 2021 that they like Metroid more than Super Metroid.  In fact, in terms of nostalgia, the Super Nintendo seems to eclipse the NES in general.  Maybe this is because of the generation gap where most Millennials are too young to remember the NES days and that is most of who still play games today while most Gen X'ers and Boomers moved on from gaming when they got older and never came back.  For some reason, when you talk about nostalgia it is the 16 bit era that comes to most gamers mind, the 8-bit era seems to be shrouded in obscurity except for some stand out classics like Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Tetris.   

I am actually going back to play 8-bit RPG classics like Might & Magic, Ultima, and Uncharted Waters.  Most people today do not even know what these franchises are and you literally never hear them spoken about (which is what makes me so interested in discovering them).  It just seems like so much has been forgotten from the NES era.  In the minds of a lot of gamers today, the SNES was really the beginning for a lot of Nintendo's most beloved franchises.  That was what I was trying to get at with that statement, although I should have been more clear that I wasn't thinking strictly in terms of sales.

Last edited by Illusion - on 17 March 2021

Around the Network
Illusion said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I know what you're saying and you are right in terms of sales and commercial success and a lot of this is because the SNES, in general, was a significantly less successful console compared to the NES due to the competition from Sega.

That being said, if you forget about sales for a moment and ask people about the greatest old-school RPG's of all-time (at least in North America) lots of people are going to give you Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6/3, and Chrono Trigger in their top 5.  Games like Final Fantasy and Mother 1 (which obviously wasn't localized) will be nowhere on that list.  Even games like Metroid which were for sure very popular on the NES was significantly eclipsed by Super Metroid in terms of adoration from fans, at least today.  I can't think of many people who would tell you in 2021 that they like Metroid more than Super Metroid.  In fact, in terms of nostalgia, the Super Nintendo seems to eclipse the NES in general.  Maybe this is because of the generation gap where most Millennials are too young to remember the NES days and that is most of who still play games today while most Gen X'ers and Boomers moved on from gaming when they got older and never came back.  For some reason, when you talk about nostalgia it is the 16 bit era that comes to most gamers mind, the 8-bit era seems to be shrouded in obscurity except for some stand out classics like Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Tetris.   

I am actually going back to play 8-bit RPG classics like Might & Magic, Ultima, and Uncharted Waters.  Most people today do not even know what these franchises are and you literally never hear them spoken about (which is what makes me so interested in discovering them).  It just seems like so much has been forgotten from the NES era.  In the minds of a lot of gamers today, the SNES was really the beginning for a lot of Nintendo's most beloved franchises.  That was what I was trying to get at with that statement, although I should have been more clear that I wasn't thinking strictly in terms of sales.

When it comes to RPG's, I agree with you 100%.  Back in 1990, Final Fantasy 1 was in my top 3 NES games.  Today, I still like the game, but it might be my #10 NES game (at best).  One reason a game "ages" is when later games obviously surpass it.  The SNES had much better RPG's in general (and so did the PS1). 

However, when it comes to Metroid I can't agree at all.  I definitely think Metroid is a much better game that Super Metroid.  Super Metroid is too easy.  I can also find other people like myself, who prefer Metroid, but they all played Metroid back in the 80's.  Super Metroid is preferred by people who never played the first Metroid when it was a current game.  Not only is it easier with better graphics, but both games are so similar.  Super Metroid really feels like a remake of original Metroid with better graphics and easier gameplay.  It doesn't really feel like a sequel to me.  Whichever game you play first, that is the one you will tend to prefer, because they are both pretty similar.  

If a person is too young to remember the NES, then they will probably prefer the SNES, because that was the last real 2D generation.  16-bit graphics are the best 2D graphics get with a few exceptions like Castlevania: SotN.  People judge a book by it's cover.  The graphics on NES games look dated, even though the gameplay is often phenomenal (at least on the best games).

Aside: since you mentioned Ultima, I just want to say that I want to replay Ultima 4 again soon.  It was also in my top 3 NES games back in 1990, but I haven't played it since.  Hopefully it still holds up.  I think it probably will, I don't think there is still another RPG quite like it.  (Maybe Octopath Traveler comes the closest?)

The_Liquid_Laser said:

When it comes to RPG's, I agree with you 100%.  Back in 1990, Final Fantasy 1 was in my top 3 NES games.  Today, I still like the game, but it might be my #10 NES game (at best).  One reason a game "ages" is when later games obviously surpass it.  The SNES had much better RPG's in general (and so did the PS1). 

However, when it comes to Metroid I can't agree at all.  I definitely think Metroid is a much better game that Super Metroid.  Super Metroid is too easy.  I can also find other people like myself, who prefer Metroid, but they all played Metroid back in the 80's.  Super Metroid is preferred by people who never played the first Metroid when it was a current game.  Not only is it easier with better graphics, but both games are so similar.  Super Metroid really feels like a remake of original Metroid with better graphics and easier gameplay.  It doesn't really feel like a sequel to me.  Whichever game you play first, that is the one you will tend to prefer, because they are both pretty similar.  

If a person is too young to remember the NES, then they will probably prefer the SNES, because that was the last real 2D generation.  16-bit graphics are the best 2D graphics get with a few exceptions like Castlevania: SotN.  People judge a book by it's cover.  The graphics on NES games look dated, even though the gameplay is often phenomenal (at least on the best games).

Aside: since you mentioned Ultima, I just want to say that I want to replay Ultima 4 again soon.  It was also in my top 3 NES games back in 1990, but I haven't played it since.  Hopefully it still holds up.  I think it probably will, I don't think there is still another RPG quite like it.  (Maybe Octopath Traveler comes the closest?)

Thanks for your perspective here.  I am firmly in the millennial age group and so my perspective probably is too biased towards the SNES.  The vast majority of my friends in the 90's had the SNES/Genesis and very few had the NES and so I just never learned much about the NES growing up other than Super Mario Bros.  I also wish that there were some more retrospectives online from the 8 bit era.  For example, I would have loved to have known if the same rivalry existed between the NES and Master System that continues to burn up the internet today between the SNES and Genesis.  It also would be cool to learn about what it was like to play games like Metroid for the first time, and what made them so incredible back in the day (was it the graphics, the game mechanics, etc?).  It just feels like the 16 bit era is so well documented in history and so many people still talk about it today and I can read entire books on the subject.  That said, the NES era is remembered as being awesome but nobody seems to have anything to say about it.  I think it's great that you were a part that generation, I wish that I could have been there. 

I honestly find that 8-bit games hold up really well once you get past the graphics and get into the gameplay.  I really enjoyed the original Phantasy Star and frankly found that Master System game to have a more immersive gaming experience than what came later on the Genesis.  The game basically simulated a 3D environment in dungeons by giving you discrete movement through corridors, kind of like an interactive video: in some ways it was more immersive than a 2D top-down view that we get on the 16-bit consoles.  Right now I have a lineup of NES RPG's that I am planning to play on my N64 once I can get my hands on an Everdrive and I will definitely be picking up a Metroid cart to experience what you are talking about.

Illusion said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thanks for your perspective here.  I am firmly in the millennial age group and so my perspective probably is too biased towards the SNES.  The vast majority of my friends in the 90's had the SNES/Genesis and very few had the NES and so I just never learned much about the NES growing up other than Super Mario Bros.  I also wish that there were some more retrospectives online from the 8 bit era.  For example, I would have loved to have known if the same rivalry existed between the NES and Master System that continues to burn up the internet today between the SNES and Genesis.  It also would be cool to learn about what it was like to play games like Metroid for the first time, and what made them so incredible back in the day (was it the graphics, the game mechanics, etc?)It just feels like the 16 bit era is so well documented in history and so many people still talk about it today and I can read entire books on the subject.  That said, the NES era is remembered as being awesome but nobody seems to have anything to say about it.  I think it's great that you were a part that generation, I wish that I could have been there. 

I honestly find that 8-bit games hold up really well once you get past the graphics and get into the gameplay.  I really enjoyed the original Phantasy Star and frankly found that Master System game to have a more immersive gaming experience than what came later on the Genesis.  The game basically simulated a 3D environment in dungeons by giving you discrete movement through corridors, kind of like an interactive video: in some ways it was more immersive than a 2D top-down view that we get on the 16-bit consoles.  Right now I have a lineup of NES RPG's that I am planning to play on my N64 once I can get my hands on an Everdrive and I will definitely be picking up a Metroid cart to experience what you are talking about.

I could totally talk about the NES forever.

The NES was like the PS2 of it's era.  It totally crushed all competitors.  You can find people on the internet that talk about how great the XBox, Gamecube and Dreamcast were, and yet you know at the same time that the PS2 massively outsold them all, because it had almost all of the good games from that generation on it.  That's what the NES was like.  Imagine if the Switch actually did have all of the AAA third party games on it:  Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing, BotW, plus GTA5, CoD, and FIFA.  That is what the NES was like.  It's first party games were by far the best and its third party games were also by far the best.  

There was no rivalry between NES and SMS, because almost no one bought a SMS.  I actually have never known someone in RL that owned a SMS, but I did see commercials for it on TV.  Almost every kid in my neighborhood had a NES.  There was one kid who had an Amiga.  I remember him showing off, very proudly, a Marble Madness game which was several years old at that point.  The 16-bit graphics were good, but I really felt sorry for that kid.  I thought to myself, "poor kid, his parents bought him a computer instead of a gaming system.  Now he has to play old games like this instead of the really good NES games."

The best part, to me, was that all of the best games were totally new.  The old franchises, like Pitfall and Space Invaders, didn't matter anymore.  The NES had Pac-Man and Galaga, and I think these are good games, but I never bought or rented them.  Donkey Kong was Nintendo's best IP when the NES launched, and it didn't really matter either, not in North America at least.  The really great games were totally new: Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, Castlevania, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc....

The best way I can describe it is it was like when Nintendo made the Wii.  Instead of making a bunch of sequels the really exciting games were a bold new direction: Wii Sports and Wii Fit, totally new stuff.  You may not like those games, but all I can tell you is that the bold new IP on the NES was Mario, Zelda and Metroid, totally new and made just for you.  The big difference between the Wii and the NES is that third party devs boycotted the Wii.  To be like the NES, the Wii would have also gotten all of the new IP's of Generation 7.  Imagine this: Minecraft is a Wii exclusive.  Dark Souls and Bioshock are Wii exclusives.  So are Assassin's Creed and Lost Odyssey.  So is Red Dead Redemption.  It may sound crazy, but that is what actually happened on the NES.  Every great new game, first party and third party, were all on one system.  

Game developers were not playing it safe either.  The NES was actually revolutionary like the Wii was trying to be.  Before the NES, the best games had an arcade style, like Donkey Kong.  This was true even on home consoles like the Atari 2600.  On the NES, they started making games that could only be played at home like The Legend of Zelda.  There is no way to play Zelda 1 in an arcade setting, because it's too long and requires saving data.  The NES is really what killed off the arcades (or specifically Zelda 1 is the game that killed off the arcades).  It was a real gaming revolution.

Before the NES launched, no one was playing home consoles anymore.  There were tons of kids playing the Atari 2600 in the early 80's.  Then one day they stopped and I was the only one playing.  A couple years later even I stopped playing.  A couple of my friends had an Apple II or C64, and I'd sometimes play with them.  Most of the enthusiasm for gaming had disappeared though.  I just wanted a console like the Atari 2600 to become popular again.  Then the NES came along and gave me something much better than what I had wished for.

The NES was the most amazing time for a gamer to be alive.  It was a revolutionary console like the Wii, but it also had all of the third party games like the PS2.  It revived console gaming from the dead.  It really was like some kind of miracle system.  I had no idea at the time that I was really playing the first entry for a huge chunk of the best series ever created.   And yet there is a ton more I could say about it.  I would really love to see a system like the NES come around again, but it might be a sort of a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

VAMatt said:

There really only need to be two choices in the poll - SNES and N64. There just isn't any competition from the other systems.

Between those two, I'll go SNES because of Kart. That's possibly their most important franchise, period.

I'd put Wii ahead of N64 frankly, on account of Xenoblade.

curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

I'd put Wii ahead of N64 frankly, on account of Xenoblade.

Xenoblade over Animal Crossing is nuts. Also the N64 did introduce a ton of Rare IP like Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye (basically we can call that the birth of the Bond shooter IP) etc.

N64 also introduced Super Smash Brothers, Paper Mario, Mario Party, Mario Golf/Tennis series' as well. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 17 March 2021