By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which post-NES console introduced the best new Nintendo franchises?

I choose...

SNES 18 29.51%

N64 22 36.07%

Gamecube 6 9.84%

Wii 11 18.03%

Wii U 1 1.64%

Switch 3 4.92%

Total:61
S.Peelman said:

Between SNES with Mario Kart and Star Fox, and N64 with Smash. No chance for any of the others really. Since I like Mario Kart better than Smash, and the old Star foxes as well, I’ll pock SNES.

This, especially the bolded part. Funny thing is, I like Smash more than I do Kart (because the only ones in the MK series I really enjoyed are the original and then a looooong way to MK8), but I voted SNES based on reach and importance of the series rather than my personal taste in this case. 

General gamer, fanboy hater

Around the Network

I had to give my vote to the SNES for how amazing Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, and the early Starfox games are.

The only new N64 franchise I like is Sin & Punishment, and only Gamecube one I like is Luigi's Mansion. No new IP on Switch has really done it for me so far. Freaking love Xenoblade and The Last Story though, and Wii Sports felt downright futuristic back in the day, so Wii takes the #2 spot for me.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

That's a tough one, as there are at least 1-3 I love from each gen. Overall, though, I'd had to go SNES. Mario Kart, DKC, are two of my favorite series, and still love the original F-Zero as well as GX on Cube.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Soundwave said:

Xenoblade is nice but it's a B-tier Nintendo franchise at best. 

In sales maybe; in quality I'd say it's absolutely A-tier. I'd take Xenoblade over any new IP from the N64, Gamecube, Wii U, or Switch.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Xenoblade is nice but it's a B-tier Nintendo franchise at best. 

In sales maybe; in quality I'd say it's absolutely A-tier. I'd take Xenoblade over any new IP from the N64, Gamecube, Wii U, or Switch.

Super Smash, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime and Astral Chain are dope though.

Around the Network
Illusion said:

Some additional franchises that I thought of:

SNES: Yoshi's Island (Yoshi's Story, Woolly World, Crafted World series)
N64: Pokemon Snap (N64, Switch), Pokemon Stadium (Coliseum)
Wii U: Super Mario Maker (this and Splatoon were major innovation from Nintendo, imo, during the Wii U era)

From a commercial success perspective, Pokemon has really been Nintendo's biggest new-IP find since the NES days. While this started on a handheld, the N64 was really the first home console that saw Pokemon games and it did get a lot of them and so I will give N64 the Pokemon prize for the purposes of this thread. Smash Bros is probably #3 on the list for new IPs in terms of popularity post-NES after Pokemon and Mario Kart and so I will have to say that the N64 is the overall winner here.

It's a tough question though because the SNES had so many franchises that started on the NES but rose to fame in a major way on the SNES (Mother, Final Fantasy, Metroid), it just seems unfair to give all the glory to the NES for these franchises.

Almost every first party franchise was bigger on the NES than on the SNES.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, etc... were all more popular on the NES (i.e. sold better).  Mother only made it out of Japan on the SNES, but it had disappointing sales.  The notable first party games on the SNES were either bigger on the NES or brand new series (Mario Kart, DKC).

Third party games are a different story though.  Third party games often were more successful on the SNES.  Final Fantasy is a good example.  (Although PS1 Final Fantasy was far more popular than SNES Final Fantasy.)

There really only need to be two choices in the poll - SNES and N64. There just isn't any competition from the other systems.

Between those two, I'll go SNES because of Kart. That's possibly their most important franchise, period.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Almost every first party franchise was bigger on the NES than on the SNES.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, etc... were all more popular on the NES (i.e. sold better).  Mother only made it out of Japan on the SNES, but it had disappointing sales.  The notable first party games on the SNES were either bigger on the NES or brand new series (Mario Kart, DKC).

Third party games are a different story though.  Third party games often were more successful on the SNES.  Final Fantasy is a good example.  (Although PS1 Final Fantasy was far more popular than SNES Final Fantasy.)

I know what you're saying and you are right in terms of sales and commercial success and a lot of this is because the SNES, in general, was a significantly less successful console compared to the NES due to the competition from Sega.

That being said, if you forget about sales for a moment and ask people about the greatest old-school RPG's of all-time (at least in North America) lots of people are going to give you Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6/3, and Chrono Trigger in their top 5.  Games like Final Fantasy and Mother 1 (which obviously wasn't localized) will be nowhere on that list.  Even games like Metroid which were for sure very popular on the NES was significantly eclipsed by Super Metroid in terms of adoration from fans, at least today.  I can't think of many people who would tell you in 2021 that they like Metroid more than Super Metroid.  In fact, in terms of nostalgia, the Super Nintendo seems to eclipse the NES in general.  Maybe this is because of the generation gap where most Millennials are too young to remember the NES days and that is most of who still play games today while most Gen X'ers and Boomers moved on from gaming when they got older and never came back.  For some reason, when you talk about nostalgia it is the 16 bit era that comes to most gamers mind, the 8-bit era seems to be shrouded in obscurity except for some stand out classics like Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Tetris.   

I am actually going back to play 8-bit RPG classics like Might & Magic, Ultima, and Uncharted Waters.  Most people today do not even know what these franchises are and you literally never hear them spoken about (which is what makes me so interested in discovering them).  It just seems like so much has been forgotten from the NES era.  In the minds of a lot of gamers today, the SNES was really the beginning for a lot of Nintendo's most beloved franchises.  That was what I was trying to get at with that statement, although I should have been more clear that I wasn't thinking strictly in terms of sales.

Last edited by Illusion - on 17 March 2021

Illusion said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I know what you're saying and you are right in terms of sales and commercial success and a lot of this is because the SNES, in general, was a significantly less successful console compared to the NES due to the competition from Sega.

That being said, if you forget about sales for a moment and ask people about the greatest old-school RPG's of all-time (at least in North America) lots of people are going to give you Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6/3, and Chrono Trigger in their top 5.  Games like Final Fantasy and Mother 1 (which obviously wasn't localized) will be nowhere on that list.  Even games like Metroid which were for sure very popular on the NES was significantly eclipsed by Super Metroid in terms of adoration from fans, at least today.  I can't think of many people who would tell you in 2021 that they like Metroid more than Super Metroid.  In fact, in terms of nostalgia, the Super Nintendo seems to eclipse the NES in general.  Maybe this is because of the generation gap where most Millennials are too young to remember the NES days and that is most of who still play games today while most Gen X'ers and Boomers moved on from gaming when they got older and never came back.  For some reason, when you talk about nostalgia it is the 16 bit era that comes to most gamers mind, the 8-bit era seems to be shrouded in obscurity except for some stand out classics like Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Tetris.   

I am actually going back to play 8-bit RPG classics like Might & Magic, Ultima, and Uncharted Waters.  Most people today do not even know what these franchises are and you literally never hear them spoken about (which is what makes me so interested in discovering them).  It just seems like so much has been forgotten from the NES era.  In the minds of a lot of gamers today, the SNES was really the beginning for a lot of Nintendo's most beloved franchises.  That was what I was trying to get at with that statement, although I should have been more clear that I wasn't thinking strictly in terms of sales.

When it comes to RPG's, I agree with you 100%.  Back in 1990, Final Fantasy 1 was in my top 3 NES games.  Today, I still like the game, but it might be my #10 NES game (at best).  One reason a game "ages" is when later games obviously surpass it.  The SNES had much better RPG's in general (and so did the PS1). 

However, when it comes to Metroid I can't agree at all.  I definitely think Metroid is a much better game that Super Metroid.  Super Metroid is too easy.  I can also find other people like myself, who prefer Metroid, but they all played Metroid back in the 80's.  Super Metroid is preferred by people who never played the first Metroid when it was a current game.  Not only is it easier with better graphics, but both games are so similar.  Super Metroid really feels like a remake of original Metroid with better graphics and easier gameplay.  It doesn't really feel like a sequel to me.  Whichever game you play first, that is the one you will tend to prefer, because they are both pretty similar.  

If a person is too young to remember the NES, then they will probably prefer the SNES, because that was the last real 2D generation.  16-bit graphics are the best 2D graphics get with a few exceptions like Castlevania: SotN.  People judge a book by it's cover.  The graphics on NES games look dated, even though the gameplay is often phenomenal (at least on the best games).

Aside: since you mentioned Ultima, I just want to say that I want to replay Ultima 4 again soon.  It was also in my top 3 NES games back in 1990, but I haven't played it since.  Hopefully it still holds up.  I think it probably will, I don't think there is still another RPG quite like it.  (Maybe Octopath Traveler comes the closest?)

The_Liquid_Laser said:

When it comes to RPG's, I agree with you 100%.  Back in 1990, Final Fantasy 1 was in my top 3 NES games.  Today, I still like the game, but it might be my #10 NES game (at best).  One reason a game "ages" is when later games obviously surpass it.  The SNES had much better RPG's in general (and so did the PS1). 

However, when it comes to Metroid I can't agree at all.  I definitely think Metroid is a much better game that Super Metroid.  Super Metroid is too easy.  I can also find other people like myself, who prefer Metroid, but they all played Metroid back in the 80's.  Super Metroid is preferred by people who never played the first Metroid when it was a current game.  Not only is it easier with better graphics, but both games are so similar.  Super Metroid really feels like a remake of original Metroid with better graphics and easier gameplay.  It doesn't really feel like a sequel to me.  Whichever game you play first, that is the one you will tend to prefer, because they are both pretty similar.  

If a person is too young to remember the NES, then they will probably prefer the SNES, because that was the last real 2D generation.  16-bit graphics are the best 2D graphics get with a few exceptions like Castlevania: SotN.  People judge a book by it's cover.  The graphics on NES games look dated, even though the gameplay is often phenomenal (at least on the best games).

Aside: since you mentioned Ultima, I just want to say that I want to replay Ultima 4 again soon.  It was also in my top 3 NES games back in 1990, but I haven't played it since.  Hopefully it still holds up.  I think it probably will, I don't think there is still another RPG quite like it.  (Maybe Octopath Traveler comes the closest?)

Thanks for your perspective here.  I am firmly in the millennial age group and so my perspective probably is too biased towards the SNES.  The vast majority of my friends in the 90's had the SNES/Genesis and very few had the NES and so I just never learned much about the NES growing up other than Super Mario Bros.  I also wish that there were some more retrospectives online from the 8 bit era.  For example, I would have loved to have known if the same rivalry existed between the NES and Master System that continues to burn up the internet today between the SNES and Genesis.  It also would be cool to learn about what it was like to play games like Metroid for the first time, and what made them so incredible back in the day (was it the graphics, the game mechanics, etc?).  It just feels like the 16 bit era is so well documented in history and so many people still talk about it today and I can read entire books on the subject.  That said, the NES era is remembered as being awesome but nobody seems to have anything to say about it.  I think it's great that you were a part that generation, I wish that I could have been there. 

I honestly find that 8-bit games hold up really well once you get past the graphics and get into the gameplay.  I really enjoyed the original Phantasy Star and frankly found that Master System game to have a more immersive gaming experience than what came later on the Genesis.  The game basically simulated a 3D environment in dungeons by giving you discrete movement through corridors, kind of like an interactive video: in some ways it was more immersive than a 2D top-down view that we get on the 16-bit consoles.  Right now I have a lineup of NES RPG's that I am planning to play on my N64 once I can get my hands on an Everdrive and I will definitely be picking up a Metroid cart to experience what you are talking about.