By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Make your console tier list

I found one that included handhelds because I didn't want to leave those out. Here we are:

GameCube - Favorite of all-time. Incredible exclusives and you gotta love that startup screen and the controller.

Switch - I'm only ranking this based on its merits so far, if it keeps up the pace of excellent games I just might put it in the same league as the GameCube when all is said and done.

PS3 - A messed up launch but I didn't get it till way later. Tons of great games and my most played PS console.

PS4 - Again didn't get it till way after launch because in terms of exclusives it didn't have much to offer at first. But they definitely made up for that later on and then some.

Wii - The first 4 years it kept up the great pace of the GameCube and while it slowed down later on it still managed to have several amazing titles in its life.

PS2 - I actually never owned a PS2 but I've encountered and enjoyed tons of games that originated on it as remasters or ports (MGS 2 and 3, FFX, Okami, Tales of the Abyss etc. etc.)

SNES - While I actually don't think it had any games that were straight up amazing, the shear number of great ones is staggering.

GBA - Golden Sun, Pokémon Ruby and FireRed, Metroid Fusion and a whole lot of SNES ports. That's pretty much it, but its enough.

PS1 - It doesn't have quite the same bulk of titles as the PS2, but it makes up for it with some exceptional games like FF7, Symphony of the Night and so on.

3DS - A few excellent games on it's own and ofc the remakes of OoT and MM made this a console I was very happy to own even if I never bought that many games for it.

N64 - Did someone say OoT and MM? There are of course a few other great titles, but they're definitely the defining games of this console to me.

DS - Honestly the most important DS title to me is Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors which was fantastic. Also some good Pokémon games.

Wii U - A lot of bad decisions, but it still had a few really good exclusives in its short life.

GameBoy (Color) - Pokémon Crystal carries this console for me. I had a few other games I enjoyed, but none on the same level.

PSP - Probably should not have included this because I think I've literally only played 2 games on it: Dracula X Chronicles and MGS: Peace Walker. Don't like Peace Walker, Dracula X Chronicles was pretty good.

NES - Its certainly before my time, but I've played several NES games regardless. And... I've yet to encounter one that I find great. SMB3 is the closest thing and I do like that, but I don't like it that much, compared to many SNES games for example.

Well that took longer than I planned but oh well.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

It's missing handhelds, so I'll post a table instead.

S Rank

Nintendo DS

Nintendo Entertainment System

The NES was the first gaming system I experienced and it was magical. 

A Rank

Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Wii

Nintendo 64

Playstation Portable

Gameboy Advance

The Switch has a shot to get S Rank for me, but its run is not over yet.

The Wii could've been S Rank but they killed it off too early.

N64 was the first console I actually owned myself.

PSP Go for 99€ with 10 full price games included is still the best gaming deal I've made in my life. Lots of great games.

B Rank

Super Nintendo

Xbox 360

Playstation 3

Nintendo Gamecube

Sega Dreamcast

Nintendo 3DS

Xbox 360 > PS3 for me. Geometry Wars II and Oblivion were so great.

C Rank

Playstation 4

Playstation Vita

Not much to say. After the PSP the Vita was a huge disappointment for me. It's basically a Persona 4 machine. Never really got into the PS4 for some reason.

D Rank-- 
F RankWii UAlmost everything about the Wii U sucked in my opinion.

S - Super Nintendo
A - Xbox 360
B - Switch, Xbox One, Sega Mega Drive
C - PS4, Nintendo 3DS, PS Vita
D - Nintendo Wii
F -

Personal relationship with each

S: N64/360
A: PS2/PS1/PS3
B: Wii/PS4/Dreamcast/Xbox
C: Switch/Gamecube
F: Xbox One (literally had one in the house and never felt the need to play it as everything was better on PS4 and no exclusives pulled me.)
Z: Wii U (skipped)

Here's mine. Included only the systems I played, so this excludes the PlayStation 2 (yes), the SEGAs Saturn and Master System and the XBoxes 360 and One. I also post-processed in the Atari 2600 and the Magnavox Odyssey2/Videopac G7000, two other systems I've played but weren't selectable on the tier list maker. Shame on them, especially for excluding the 2600; one of the most important and dominant systems ever released. Also it's weird you could pick both the Model 1 Mega Drive/Genesis and Model 2 and the Switch picture is ugly. But anyway, here it is;

On S-tier the N64 is the greatest thing known to man; too many ultimate classics on there.

Shortly below it on A-tier are the almost equally great PS1 and Dreamcast, systems with many great games and all-time favourites.

On B-tier are PS3, SNES, Switch and the NES; all great systems with solid experiences but less that became my most highly treasured games like the systems above these.

C-tier are Wii, XBox and the Atari 2600; systems with cool experiences but they've had flaws and only a few games grew to be my favourite games.

On D-tier are GameCube, SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis and PS4. GameCube was a let down to me when all its major games were worse than their N64 predecessors, but Mega Drive would've probably be higher if I actually played it more back in the day and PS4 doesn't really have that much that interested me.

Lastly on F-tier there's WiiU and the Odyssey2/G7000. The latter has it's place for me personally but while it was popular in my country (being branded as a Philips product) it really is a poor-man's version of the 2600. The WiiU has little redeeming qualities, and basically no real classic to speak of, besides Breath of the Wild but sadly for WiiU that's identified more with Switch instead.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 07 March 2021

Around the Network

None is the "S" category since I don't believe in "perfect" products or services.

A category:

N64 - I placed it at the top due to its amazing quality, iconic 1st party games, and its contributions to overall console and game development. It made strides in things like controller design, compression of software, and utilization of accessories in new ways that impacted gameplay or overall QoL. It also revolutionized the platformer genre and 3D control schemes. I also loved the controller, which is odd, I know. Not without issue (insane game prices, the shoddy build quality of controllers, among others), it still deserves the spot for its impact on both the industry as a whole and on a more personal level for me.

PS1 - I saved up for mine for almost two years, I played it when I visited my cousin. Ridge Racer, Toshinden, FFVII, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Driver, Ape Escape, Twisted Metal, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. The sheer breadth of the software was immense, unlike anything that came before. It had FMV cutscenes and used the CD-ROM properly, not just as a flimsy add-on or as an afterthought and it even had multi-media capabilities. It also introduced another player in a market that had become hostile for both developers and consumers and worked wonders for pricing and the thinking around publishing and providing developers with tools and support. Iconic, just like the NES and N64. It also signifies the transition from arcades and into the living room, which is also one of the reasons why it went on to sell so well, along with its appeal to a very broad and varied demographic.

PS2 - Carrying the momentum from its predecessor, it provided an insane catalog of games and most major franchises and IPs from the PS1 continued on the PS2. Some would say that the platform had a lot more shovelware, and they would be correct, but the overall quality of its best and most beloved titles was amazing. Doubling as a DVD-player was a nice bonus and Sony made use of their ties to the movie industry in a good way. I have many fond memories of this console, but its astounding success also caused a lot of future issues that I personally have with Sony and the PS brand.

B category:

NES - The lord of consoles to many gamers, including many of my friends. Not just due to some truly amazing games but also for its essential role in reinvigorating the industry as a whole following the massive crash. My sister and I got one for Christmas 1989 and I still remember it, our parents played it too and sometimes invited friends over to play. Nostalgia aside, it had some issues, especially in hindsight, which is why I placed it in the "B" bracket. It kickstarted the mafia-like business model of Nintendo where both developers and retailers got a taste of some pretty indecent policies, many games were of really poor quality, in spite of the famous Seal of Quality, and the breadth of software wasn't as amazing as one would think for a market leader.

PS4 - A massive step up from the PS3, but still not anywhere near PS1 or PS2, in my opinion. What saves it for me is its prominent role in maintaining focus on great single-player experiences in a world gone more and more online. The PS4 also represents some less favorable things, some of which are simply signs of the times we live in and where the market is headed. Franchises like Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo took turns for the decidedly worse for me, and the focus on remakes and remasters is a bit too much. The woeful battery time of the DS4 is another issue, as well as the poor download speed for updates. Overall, it's a good console, but very predictable and "safe". A major plus for streamlining the hardware setup.

Nintendo Switch - It must be somewhat of a thankful task to follow the Wii U; there is only one way to go and that is up. Initially, I wasn't sold on the concept at all, the hybrid function was of no interest since I have no love for handheld gaming at all. But I did buy one, the Switch is a good RPG platform, Octopath Traveler is among the best RPGs I've played in years, and BotW is simply the best Zelda game since OoT. 3D Mario is back in shape as well. Issues for me revolve mainly around the controller and the pricing of software and peripherals. To me, the Joy-con is tiny and borderline useless and the triggers offer poor feedback. Plus for releasing possibly the best controller I've ever owned, minus for pricing it 50% above the competition. UI is sleek and responsive and the cartridges make for lightning-fast loading times and menu swaps - all of which is very welcome in a world where PS and Xbox loading times are getting out of hand.

SNES - I never owned one, but some of my friends did and we played it often after school. The controller was a bit weird to me but it had triggers, which was really cool and useful as well. I wasn't into JRPGs at the time, which means I never got those memories from it, but the SNES was a good multiplayer machine, especially Mario Kart was a blast. Super Mario World was a bit weird for me, I never liked it as well as the NES installments or the following 3D Mario mainline games. It was kind of a niche console where I lived, and things like Amiga, or even keeping your NES, often came before purchasing a SNES. It didn't have the same impact on the industry as the NES either, which is only natural.

SEGA Mega Drive (Genesis) - My neighbor had one, and I borrowed it on many occasions. Sonic was something entirely unique at the time and stood out from other platformers, or games as a whole, with its focus on speed. It made good use of the 16-bit technology for what it was. SEGA had some really cool side-scrolling games and fighting games, the whole concept seemed geared towards a somewhat older audience than Nintendo, which might also be why it never grabbed me as much as some other consoles at the time did.

C category:

Xbox One - there's nothing wrong with it, but also there's nothing unique or exciting about it. Doubly so for someone who never cared all that much for MS and Xbox exclusive franchises. I bought mine mainly for its 4K Blu-ray player, which functions decently. The interface is uninspired and the controller a step down from the brilliant 360 controller. The incessant badgering about online, subscription services and the inflexible always-online functionality are all a real pain and represent a somewhat disrespectful attitude towards consumers, in my opinion. Upsides for me are the initiative for cross-play, crossover, and functionality with Windows and the ease with which developers can make use of the hardware. MS have also been really good at pricing with this platform, with the exception of controllers.

Xbox 360 - Let's address the elephant in the room; this thing was built like flotsam and forced MS into the most costly post-coverage warranty of any consumer electronic product ever. However, the significance of the 360 is not to be dismissed or overlooked. It had a really solid library of games and great 3rd party support, and it provided some much-needed competition for Sony who had gone off-the-rails after the PS2 success. In addition; no one can take away the amazing impact it had on online multiplayer gaming on consoles. For me, on a personal level, I never owned one and never wanted to, the exclusives showed up on PC more often than not, and online multiplayer was (and still is) of little interest to me. The 360 controllers, which I use on the PC even today, are among the best ever made in my opinion. Amazing battery life (I use mine for 30-40 hours before I charge the batteries), great analog sticks and triggers and a pleasing, ergonomic design overall.

SEGA Master System - Perhaps among the most famous "too little, too late" products of our time, it went under the radar when squaring off with the mighty NES. I knew only one person who owned one, but we used it a fair bit. The controllers were so-and-so and the machine itself had a weirdly bulky design, it looked reminiscent of a VHS player. Good games were few and far between and both hardware and software were crippled by staggered launches, leaving strange gaps and uneven graphs in the global market. Perhaps the worst part was SEGA's attitude towards developers, they had witnessed the same crash as Nintendo did, and came up with similar ideas as to how they should build a more sustainable market and industry. Unfortunately, this lead to poor relations with publishers and developers alike and ultimately caused some pretty poor 3rd party support when paired with lackluster hardware sales and segmented launches.

D category:

Xbox - I never understood the appeal of this. MS came from a fully PC background and with what was at that point some pretty narrow Microsoft Game Studios pedigree. I remember the focus being the amazing CPU of the unit, something which interested about 0% of its would-be demographic. Horsepower to take on the juggernaut PS brand proved to be a poor idea. The Xbox had a unique dashboard and PC-like menu and installment system, which was kinda cool, but also allowed for easy pirating and jailbreaking. The controller was bulky and unergonomic, much like the handling of advertisement and release of the machine itself. Support was poor, MS ambitions were a poor fit with current console gaming trends and developer relations were tough to pry from Sony at the time. Establishing a new console brand to pit against two giants was no easy task and the Xbox simply wasn't up to it.

Nintendo Gamecube - "The lunchbox". The color scheme, shape, controllers, ridiculous format choice, and overall marketing of the Gamecube were disastrous, so many poor choices rolled up into one tough-to-sell package. To top it off, it had weaker mainline 1st party titles which had the horrible misfortune of following series best installments on the N64 and it was a lot to live up to. The Gamecube pricing policies are still a good argument against anyone who claims that "mass-market pricing" will lead to mass-market sales, it was ridiculously cheap compared to the competition and throughout the generation, but to no avail. From my perspective, the Gamecube was the first console where Nintendo seemed to forget all their talent, in addition to attempting to merely follow where they had previously been leading. Competing on foreign terms was a terrible idea.

PS3 - Insane pricing, ridiculously contrived architecture, and a piss-poor launch line-up, paired with broken promises and marketing hogwash, make for a tough blow and a lesson learned with the PS3. Despite managing decent lifetime sales, its infancy was a disaster and it underdelivered on almost every possible front. The DS3 was a simple re-skin of the DS2, its lofty 1080p goals with decent frame rates were shot to pieces and developers lent their ear, and resources, to MS at a much higher rate than Sony had prepared for. Extended development time and rising costs also caused problems, both in-house and with 3rd parties, and the installed base ended up at just about 60% of the PS2's when all was said and done. For me, the PS3 was just a series of letdowns and problems, with the exception of a few breakout franchises being born on it.

Nintendo Wii - Another concept that simply never appealed to me, and the product of a company who were fine with temporary success. With a historical rise and equally historical fall for a market leader, it still stands as a wobbly experiment to me and signified a Nintendo which no longer held much interest in me as a customer. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but for me, it was a massive letdown. Full of impossibly simple-minded software and sporting an unprecedented performance gap, it was a platform dedicated to one purpose; making non-gamers game. Brilliant temporary business, not so brilliant for sustainability. To make matters worse, the pricing of the console itself and its peripherals was bonkers in many regions. For me, buying one Wii-mote + Nunchuk would set me back almost 50% of the cost of the base console, and Nintendo's infamous pricing policy for software once more rebuked me.

SEGA Saturn - The console that showed me that SEGA was out of the game. Clunky and old-fashioned design, both the controllers and console itself, poor support, and frankly absurd pricing. It had virtually no impact at all on the industry or gamers as a group. I played one on only two occasions since it was almost impossible to find in homes, both times were terribly underwhelming experiences. There was simply no room for it at all and it had poor appeal. Its record-breaking short lifecycle was far too long.

F category:

Nintendo Wii U - A terrible concept, even more terribly executed, going from stellar success to immense flop is quite the achievement. I knew from the beginning that I would never want one of these, the ill-conceived controller, lack of features and functionality, and immense reliance on worthless gimmicks were all major turn-offs. Even the name was terrible. I had this to say on the matter about 5-6 months before its release:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4619667

SEGA Dreamcast - It was DOA and put out of its misery after only about 3 years. It was cheap and uninspired, SEGA sought to solve issues that were 10 years too late in solving and they offed themselves officially in the hardware space. My cousin actually owned one of these unicorns, it looked like a PS1 Slim and the controller was incredibly clunky and poorly designed, all the cutting of corners were clearly marked all over it. The exclusives, to the extent that such a thing existed, were niched and uninteresting, with the exception of Shenmue, which was amazing. My cousin ended up buying only 4 games for it, there was simply nothing to pick up that the competition couldn't easily match or beat. A truly unworthy end to what was once a force to be reckoned with in the console industry. The only upside is that it allowed SEGA to focus solely on publishing and developing games, and they have some amazing titles under their banner since then.

S- the Switch
A- the PS1, the PS3, the PS4, the PSP, the Game Boy
B- the Wii, the Game Cube
C- the NES, the SNES
D-
E- Xbox 360
F-

I only included systems which I've played to some degree.  For systems on the same tier, the system on the left is slightly better.  I'd probably put Atari 2600 on C tier, but I didn't see it listed.

S Rank - NES was the greatest system ever made.  The best time to be a gamer was when the NES was a current system.  Game developers were really trying to push the envelope of gaming in the NES days.  Every system since has been very conservative by comparison, simply trying to improve what came before instead of making something revolutionary.  (I suppose the Wii was also revolutionary, but third parties didn't join the revolution.)  While every system has plenty of duds, the gems on the NES shine brighter than the gems on other systems.  Developers in those days realized that the gaming business was a fragile thing, so a lot more developers were trying to make great games.  The graphics were terrible, which meant the gameplay had to be good.  In those days gamers were worshipped and third parties were kept under control.  (Today third parties are worshiped and they try to control gamers as much as possible.)  No business guy in this era was arguing for making the same game 50 times in a row.  Even the average games were somewhat fun, because they were often innovative.  An innovative average quality game is more fun than a slightly above average game that retreads old ground.  Also the games were challenging.  It was everything I wanted in gaming, and I hope we get a system like this again someday.

A Rank - Switch and PS2.  Both great systems.  Both have me buying tons of games.  Both are dominant in the sales charts which is why they get so many games.  Switch still has a chance to move up to S tier depending on how the next few years go.

B Rank - PS3, Wii, PS1.  These are all very solid systems.  I have very fond memories of all three.  I don't own as many PS1 games as I do Wii or PS3, but the PS1 has some of my absolute favorite games of all time.

C Rank - SNES and Genesis.  Both systems have a good share of quality games.  SNES is probably just a bit better, but both are solid, fun systems.

D Rank - These systems are all disappointing.  Wii U and PS4 were both disappointing for me.  There are some fun games on both systems, but not a lot of them.  Gamecube...I did have some fun here, but I could have totally skipped this system and been ok.  The presence of Wind Waker almost makes this an F tier console.  That may have been the worst experience I've ever had playing a game.

F Rank - Dreamcast.  I bought 2 different used Dreamcasts.  Both broke down shortly after I bought them.  One of them also scratched the disks I put in it and most Dreamcast games are not cheap.  Yay!

Take this list with at least one grain of salt, because I find video game hardware tough to rank and rate. Also note that even if I have played software from older hardware, I'm not necessarily including that hardware because I don't have enough experience with it.
There is no S-Tier. No piece of video game hardware has blown me away enough to earn a spot in this tier.
A-Tier

PlayStation 4: I game on the PS4 Pro, it's the first PlayStation I've owned. Lots of fantastic first and third-party games.

Switch: Some fantastic Nintendo games and a lot of third-party games to choose from.

3DS: Some fantastic Nintendo games. So much of them that I have only played a few third-party games on the 3DS.

GameCube: This helped make me a gamer. A great controller and some Nintendo classics. Plus some fun third-party games as well.

B-Tier

DS: A lot of fun first and third-party games. I liked the first-party games better on 3DS which is why I have it an entire tier above.

Xbox 360: Some fun games. I honestly wish I played the 360 more. However, it wasn't really mine. My brothers had them growing up.

Wii: Some Nintendo classics, GCN backwards compatibility and some fun third-party games. I'm not fond of the Wii Remote though, and I think the console as a whole is an engineering piece of crap. It's not merely that it couldn't match up to the 360 and PS3 in specs. It's because it was hard to develop for and was more or less two GameCubes taped together plus motion controls and Wi-Fi.

PlayStation 2: Never owned a PS2 and wish I played more of it. But Star Wars Battlefront (both of them), Lego Star Wars: The Video Game and some other titles are enough to make me fond of it. Some good childhood memories.

GBA: My first handheld and there are some great games.

N64: Some fun games, both ones that I played on the hardware itself and through Virtual Console. The controller though is probably Nintendo's worst. And the cartridges have low capacity.

PlayStation Vita: A vast library of indies and a premium-feeling handheld. Unfortunately, Sony slacked on first-party and the memory cards are crazy overpriced.

C-Tier

Wii U: I had a lot of fun with the Wii U, and want to hook it up again soon. I almost feel reluctant putting it this low because I think Switch gets too much praise and Wii U gets too much criticism. However, it just feels right to put it here. There are some fantastic Nintendo games, but Nintendo still could've done more with them. And the console was baffling from an engineering standpoint. It was once again based on similar architecture to the GameCube (but wouldn't play GameCube games), and it had a slow ass processor. The Wii U's RAM and GPU are clearly better than the 360 and PS3, so it's a shame the CPU isn't better. Also, the Wii U's default price was too high for most of its life. It never permanently got below $300 in the USA. And for hardware that weak with an inferior library to the competition, that's ridiculous. Nintendo just didn't know what they were doing. But I'm still fond of the Wii U overall. A C does not mean a 5/10 or less to me. The Wii U would still roughly get a 7 or 8/10 from me.

Genesis: I own a Genesis but have not played more than a few games in its library on the hardware itself or through later hardware. I almost didn't put this entry here. But I basically put it here to say I own it and have played it a little.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima