By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Make your console tier list

No consoles released last year were available but I'd say the Series X and Ps5 are currently at a C. This is 6 months in and I'm sure they will both at least reach B status if not higher. 

S - My PS3 and DS actually both had to be replaced due to how much I played them. SNES is home to some of the most coveted games from my childhood. The Switch has kept me interested in it for the entirety of its release. 

A -  These are systems that I also loved but felt like they were missing something. NES was established some great series but the games were still lacking. The only reason PS2 is here and not S is because I played other people's PS2s and didn't have one myself. The Wii was great but sometimes the controls got in the way of letting a game be awesome to me. 

B - PS1 and N64 should be higher but i didn't play them as much as other consoles I owned back in the day. I mostly played Xbox at friends houses with marathons of Halo 2. I loved my Game Gear but the battery sucked. GBA is low just because I played most games for it on my DS

C - Still like these consoles but they definitely had flaws. Xbox One had great support at the start but that kinda trailed off for me until the last year. Vita would have been awesome if Sony actually tried to support it with their bigger studios. Never owned the GameCube but the only games I liked when I borrowed one was SSB and Windwaker. Game Boy was great at the time but it feels like a relic of an era gone by now. 

D - I liked the Wii U to be fair but constant game droughts kind of killed it for me. The 3DS was disappointing because the buttons were small, the 3D wasn't really a great experience for me, and the software wasn't as good as the DS. 

Around the Network

No consoles released last year were available but I'd say the Series X and Ps5 are currently at a C. This is 6 months in and I'm sure they will both at least reach B status if not higher. 

S - My PS3 and DS actually both had to be replaced due to how much I played them. SNES is home to some of the most coveted games from my childhood. The Switch has kept me interested in it for the entirety of its release. 

A -  These are systems that I also loved but felt like they were missing something. NES was established some great series but the games were still lacking. The only reason PS2 is here and not S is because I played other people's PS2s and didn't have one myself. The Wii was great but sometimes the controls got in the way of letting a game be awesome to me. 

B - PS1 and N64 should be higher but i didn't play them as much as other consoles I owned back in the day. I mostly played Xbox at friends houses with marathons of Halo 2. I loved my Game Gear but the battery sucked. GBA is low just because I played most games for it on my DS

C - Still like these consoles but they definitely had flaws. Xbox One had great support at the start but that kinda trailed off for me until the last year. Vita would have been awesome if Sony actually tried to support it with their bigger studios. Never owned the GameCube but the only games I liked when I borrowed one was SSB and Windwaker. Game Boy was great at the time but it feels like a relic of an era gone by now. 

D - I liked the Wii U to be fair but constant game droughts kind of killed it for me. The 3DS was disappointing because the buttons were small, the 3D wasn't really a great experience for me, and the software wasn't as good as the DS. 

Take this list with at least one grain of salt, because I find video game hardware tough to rank and rate. Also note that even if I have played software from older hardware, I'm not necessarily including that hardware because I don't have enough experience with it.
There is no S-Tier. No piece of video game hardware has blown me away enough to earn a spot in this tier.
A-Tier

PlayStation 4: I game on the PS4 Pro, it's the first PlayStation I've owned. Lots of fantastic first and third-party games.

Switch: Some fantastic Nintendo games and a lot of third-party games to choose from.

3DS: Some fantastic Nintendo games. So much of them that I have only played a few third-party games on the 3DS.

GameCube: This helped make me a gamer. A great controller and some Nintendo classics. Plus some fun third-party games as well.

B-Tier

DS: A lot of fun first and third-party games. I liked the first-party games better on 3DS which is why I have it an entire tier above.

Xbox 360: Some fun games. I honestly wish I played the 360 more. However, it wasn't really mine. My brothers had them growing up.

Wii: Some Nintendo classics, GCN backwards compatibility and some fun third-party games. I'm not fond of the Wii Remote though, and I think the console as a whole is an engineering piece of crap. It's not merely that it couldn't match up to the 360 and PS3 in specs. It's because it was hard to develop for and was more or less two GameCubes taped together plus motion controls and Wi-Fi.

PlayStation 2: Never owned a PS2 and wish I played more of it. But Star Wars Battlefront (both of them), Lego Star Wars: The Video Game and some other titles are enough to make me fond of it. Some good childhood memories.

GBA: My first handheld and there are some great games.

N64: Some fun games, both ones that I played on the hardware itself and through Virtual Console. The controller though is probably Nintendo's worst. And the cartridges have low capacity.

PlayStation Vita: A vast library of indies and a premium-feeling handheld. Unfortunately, Sony slacked on first-party and the memory cards are crazy overpriced.

C-Tier

Wii U: I had a lot of fun with the Wii U, and want to hook it up again soon. I almost feel reluctant putting it this low because I think Switch gets too much praise and Wii U gets too much criticism. However, it just feels right to put it here. There are some fantastic Nintendo games, but Nintendo still could've done more with them. And the console was baffling from an engineering standpoint. It was once again based on similar architecture to the GameCube (but wouldn't play GameCube games), and it had a slow ass processor. The Wii U's RAM and GPU are clearly better than the 360 and PS3, so it's a shame the CPU isn't better. Also, the Wii U's default price was too high for most of its life. It never permanently got below $300 in the USA. And for hardware that weak with an inferior library to the competition, that's ridiculous. Nintendo just didn't know what they were doing. But I'm still fond of the Wii U overall. A C does not mean a 5/10 or less to me. The Wii U would still roughly get a 7 or 8/10 from me.

Genesis: I own a Genesis but have not played more than a few games in its library on the hardware itself or through later hardware. I almost didn't put this entry here. But I basically put it here to say I own it and have played it a little.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima