By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Whatchu Watchin?

The boys, season 2. Great so far.

Around the Network

Just finished season 3 of Mary Kills People, & season 1 of The Orville

Started watching The Queen's Gambit.

Always meant to watch this film at some point. Finally got around to it this week. Very unique, very memorable. Glad I gave it a spin.

I'm marathoning through all of House. I watched it 10 years ago but never finished the last season, so now I have to watch all of it again.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Good thread idea, will look for inspiration for new shows.

For me I just finished binge watching stargate sg1 lol

Atlantis might be next lol.

TallSilhouette said:

Always meant to watch this film at some point. Finally got around to it this week. Very unique, very memorable. Glad I gave it a spin.

Good film indeed!

If you liked that one, you might also like In This Corner of the World, Grave of the Fireflies, The Boy and the World or (to add a bit wilder card) The Red Turtle. I recommend them all - although I'm not sure about their availability on mainstream services.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Verter said:

Good film indeed!

If you liked that one, you might also like In This Corner of the World, Grave of the Fireflies, The Boy and the World or (to add a bit wilder card) The Red Turtle. I recommend them all - although I'm not sure about their availability on mainstream services.

Thanks. Grave is definitely on my watchlist too (know it's a tearjerker). I'll take a look at the others as well.

I had high hopes for Raya and they were mostly satisfied. Slick animation, nice visuals, cool characters and action, and a nice dramatic story. Was a bit heavy on detached exposition and I felt it had some slight timing issues as well. My biggest peeve though is some of the action photography; you have complete control over your scene in CG and they still shoot some of the fights frantically like you would to hide bad performance in live action. What gives? Despite a few wrinkles though, this is still one of my favorite animated films in some time; just a fun adventure with a bit of that Avatar flavor I love so much. Highly recommended.

Machina said:

Currently finishing The 100. Show has come a looooong way since the first few episodes, which were pretty cringey at times. Glad I stuck with it.

After that I'll either watch the latest season of The Walking Dead (meh) or the second season of Snowpiercer (first one was pretty good).

The cringey episodes of The 100 are the main reason I got into the show. But yeah, it did get a lot better. I still have yet to watch the final series.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Anyway, right now I've been watching some recent anime.
I'll be honest, I couldn't stand most anime from about the mid-late 90s onward. It was ridiculous repetitive stuff for the most part. I've been really enjoying anything that looks at the mundane life experiences and the stories that can be told there from the only sorts of characters that can tell those stories. When I see an anime about a character with no psychological depth, but has some kind of ninja power or other super ability, I wanna hurl from boredom at the concept.
Sometimes they mix positive attributes in with overwhelmingly negative attributes (Neon Genesis fits the bill) and it works - I like those stories because they can't be told by your average "I wanna be the best master at X" dickhead anime character. Motivation for motivation's sake is lazy storytelling.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.