By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NASA's Perseverance Rover successfully lands on Mars

How cool would it be to touch another planet. Those damn robots are lucky, I tell you. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

More images:

Also, apparently the flying drone, Ingenuity, is reporting back that it is functional and doesn't seem to have been damaged by atmospheric entry or landing. It is currently charging from the rover, but after being set down it will rely on its own solar panels for power.

Those tires look good. Is that rubber or just coated? I'm so used to seeing shiny metal tires on rovers that always get beat to shit and full of holes.

curl-6 said:

More images:

Also, apparently the flying drone, Ingenuity, is reporting back that it is functional and doesn't seem to have been damaged by atmospheric entry or landing. It is currently charging from the rover, but after being set down it will rely on its own solar panels for power.

Aliens bent the security cam down already? Proof of life right there!

I have mixed feelings. I love God's creation and being able to witness, via video and clear images, what it looks like up close. I also know how many billions of dollars went into this and think about people starving and suffering and feel compassionate for them. Then I think about the ocean and how little we've explored it and it's much closer and cheaper to access than space, let alone Mars, but then part of me is like forget Mars, I wanna see Venus! Mixed feelings lol.

Dulfite said:

I have mixed feelings. I love God's creation and being able to witness, via video and clear images, what it looks like up close. I also know how many billions of dollars went into this and think about people starving and suffering and feel compassionate for them. Then I think about the ocean and how little we've explored it and it's much closer and cheaper to access than space, let alone Mars, but then part of me is like forget Mars, I wanna see Venus! Mixed feelings lol.

Think of it this way: Many many more billions of dollars went into killing people. What little billions is flying up to Mars and back was not spend on killing people. Besides that, Nasa spend 2.7 Billion on the mars mission, MS just spend 7.5 billion on a games publisher...

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Is it even possible for anything to explore Venus? The temperatures in there aren't funny stuff, man. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

SvennoJ said:
Dulfite said:

Think of it this way: Many many more billions of dollars went into killing people. What little billions is flying up to Mars and back was not spend on killing people. Besides that, Nasa spend 2.7 Billion on the mars mission, MS just spend 7.5 billion on a games publisher...

Your first point makes sense to me. The second one... well let's just say my mind distinguishes between a financial investment that will be returned via profits and the Mars situation, where they won't really earn that money back. Plus, I don't expect businesses to spend money on helping people, but I do expect taxpaying money to be used to benefit taxpayers and thos in critical need.

Metallox said:
Dulfite said:

Is it even possible for anything to explore Venus? The temperatures in there aren't funny stuff, man. 

The illogical part of my brain doesn't care and wants us to do it anyway lol.

Dulfite said:
SvennoJ said:

Your first point makes sense to me. The second one... well let's just say my mind distinguishes between a financial investment that will be returned via profits and the Mars situation, where they won't really earn that money back. Plus, I don't expect businesses to spend money on helping people, but I do expect taxpaying money to be used to benefit taxpayers and thos in critical need.

Do you have any idea how much society has benefited from advances made in space exploration? The internet, gps, understanding our climate, understanding how our bodies work, improvements in jet engines, finding resources on earth. And with Mars we'll get a better understanding of how our planet formed and works as well. As well as better understanding of life itself.

The money earned back from space exploration is hard to measure, but it's infinitely more than the money earned back from a business acquisition. Which is only money for one corporation, everyone on Earth benefits from space exploration.

Here are a couple direct spinoffs
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/08/space-race-inventions-we-use-every-day-were-created-for-space-exploration/39580591/

Imagine how far we could have been along with green energy if we had stuck the 2.4 trillion for the Iraq war into space exploration... Heck 9 billion of that is just one of the shipments that went 'missing' on the way to Iraq. DoD budget in 686 billion of which 69 billion for war funding. Of course we also get benefits from that like hummers, better guns and cheaper oil...

Loving those pictures. Hoping for more to come.