By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NASA's Perseverance Rover successfully lands on Mars

Ganoncrotch said:
dx11332sega said:

Hope the miniture life doesn't affect us like corona virus and we'd send few animal and human exposure there though not them come back to earth meantime have cows and mouse stay in mars 1 year along few human to see if theres no virus?

Was this written by an AI?

Name is very Ai like. Random numbers.... Check. 

Gaming company... Check. 

DX? What does that even mean? More randomised characters without a doubt.

Permaban for anyone with DX in their user name plz mods. 

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Was this written by an AI?

Name is very Ai like. Random numbers.... Check. 

Gaming company... Check. 

DX? What does that even mean? More randomised characters without a doubt.

Permaban for anyone with DX in their user name plz mods. 

You must not be very old yet! Never heard of 386 SX vs DX?  Single word external, 16-bit data bus vs Double word external, 32-bit data bus.

@dx11332sega I was joking earlier about bringing a virus back, it's virtually impossible for a virus to exist on Mars in dormant form that is compatible with our biology. Viruses work by reprogramming our cells to duplicate, it's impossible to evolve without having a test bed of billions of organisms with similar biology.

Microbiological contamination is more likely, still extremely unlikely since those micro bacteria still need to survive in our biology. They don't need our cells to replicate, yet need to be able to feed off us to do so. But there is a possibility that any micro bacteria brought back from Mars can thrive on Earth. Doesn't mean they are a (direct) threat to us, but still need to be careful not to mess up our planet (any further) with alien life.

Bringing back something that's poisonous to our biology is possible, but doesn't pose a threat, only to the ones handling the material. The Andromeda strain is just a movie, can't happen. (Well unless some evil aliens studied us, made a compatible virus, and hid it on Mars for us to find)

noemie75 said:

Is Google Stadia working great on mars ?? Or is there any latency problem ?

just a ping of about 200k, nothing special. You just need to plan your inputs three and a half minutes in advance, that's all.

Dulfite said:

I have mixed feelings. I love God's creation and being able to witness, via video and clear images, what it looks like up close. I also know how many billions of dollars went into this and think about people starving and suffering and feel compassionate for them. Then I think about the ocean and how little we've explored it and it's much closer and cheaper to access than space, let alone Mars, but then part of me is like forget Mars, I wanna see Venus! Mixed feelings lol.

Venus is very difficult, as it's thick atmosphere is

a) extremely dense, crushing stuff under it's pressure (it has a pressure of 93 bar, so about what we have here at over 900 meter/1000 yards underwater (which is too deep and too much pressure for most submarines btw!),

b) toxic and corrosive, so probes tend to get destroyed before they even touch the ground even if they could withstand the pressure, and

c) absorbs and reflects radio waves, so even if the probe survives, if the signal emitter ain't strong enough, you'll never know.

Also, considering the thickness and composition of Venus's atmosphere, even if all those problems would be solved, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see anything in that thick, dense fog...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Dulfite said:

I have mixed feelings. I love God's creation and being able to witness, via video and clear images, what it looks like up close. I also know how many billions of dollars went into this and think about people starving and suffering and feel compassionate for them. Then I think about the ocean and how little we've explored it and it's much closer and cheaper to access than space, let alone Mars, but then part of me is like forget Mars, I wanna see Venus! Mixed feelings lol.

a) extremely dense, crushing stuff under it's pressure (it has a pressure of 93 bar, so about what we have here at over 900 meter/1000 yards underwater (which is too deep and too much pressure for most submarines btw!),

b) toxic and corrosive, so probes tend to get destroyed before they even touch the ground even if they could withstand the pressure, and

c) absorbs and reflects radio waves, so even if the probe survives, if the signal emitter ain't strong enough, you'll never know.

Also, considering the thickness and composition of Venus's atmosphere, even if all those problems would be solved, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see anything in that thick, dense fog...

Probes have already managed to survive on the surface for a short time; (Venera 13 lasted 127 minutes after touchdown) we could work from there on producing something more durable.

Venera-D is currently proposed to put a probe on the surface designed to be able to survive for 90 days, with a proposed mission date of 2026:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera-D

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Probes have already managed to survive on the surface for a short time; (Venera 13 lasted 127 minutes after touchdown) we could work from there on producing something more durable.

Venera-D is currently proposed to put a probe on the surface designed to be able to survive for 90 days, with a proposed mission date of 2026:

Venera  surface of Venus

Last edited by mjk45 - on 24 February 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

Venera surface of Venus

Awesome.

Personally I've just always found Venus more interesting and awesome than Mars, though the Red Planet is still fascinating in its own right. I certainly hope exploration of Venus continues along with Mars.

Speaking of which, NASA have released a panoramic HD image of Perseverance's landing site:

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8873/nasas-perseverance-rover-gives-high-definition-panoramic-view-of-landing-site/?fbclid=IwAR1uKbLOsA_wlSj--E8BtYKRXSl-9l2FNqQYNNXyVZbONOuKnPVCOrOb9TE

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 February 2021

At the rate we seem to be advancing in space exploration, how far do you think they can go before earth is destroyed? We have come far but feels like a small step at the same time when you look at the grand scale of space. It's also scary when you think about space explaoration and settlements in other planets. Imagine all that hard work, and bang an alien colony comes down and wipes out everything.

curl-6 said:
mjk45 said:

Venera surface of Venus

Awesome.

Personally I've just always found Venus more interesting and awesome than Mars, though the Red Planet is still fascinating in its own right. I certainly hope exploration of Venus continues along with Mars.

Speaking of which, NASA have released a panoramic HD image of Perseverance's landing site:

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8873/nasas-perseverance-rover-gives-high-definition-panoramic-view-of-landing-site/?fbclid=IwAR1uKbLOsA_wlSj--E8BtYKRXSl-9l2FNqQYNNXyVZbONOuKnPVCOrOb9TE

I feel the history of the clouds and speculation on what lay under them added to the mystery and mystique  that is in many ways still there, In my youth I discovered  Edgar Rice Burroughs Venus and John Carter of mars books from the 1930's and even though both used the same template of earthman transported to another world and were almost  narrative clones,I especially loved the Venus books with there tales of jungles with different nations and races of venusians living in huge tree cities. 

Now I understand with the discovery of its actual climate removing any hope of Mars type exploration,at least on any time scale smaller than centuries Venus is not a priority I like you hope Perseverance is a good sign of continued interest and they see the harsh climate as a positive challenge to overcome with the benefits obvious in tech like undersea exploration, better safety equipment and robotics for hazardous zones etc.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

Awesome.

I feel the mystery adds to the interest also the history of the clouds and speculation on what lay under them, In my youth I discovered  Edgar Rice Burroughs Venus and John Carter of mars books from the 1930's and even though both used the same template of earthman transported to another world and were almost  narrative clones,I especially loved the Venus books with there tales of jungles with different nations and races of venusians living in huge tree cities. 

Now I understand with the discovery of its actual climate removing any hope of Mars type exploration,at least on any time scale smaller than centuries Venus is not a priority I like you hope Perseverance is a good sign of continued interest and they see the harsh climate as a positive challenge to overcome with the benefits obvious in tech like undersea exploration, better safety equipment and robotics for hazardous zones etc.

The surface of Venus may be inhospitable (though not insurmountable for an unmanned mission) but exploring Venus's cloudy atmosphere where temperature and pressure are much more tolerable is an interesting possibility, it's even been theorized there is the potential for airborne microscopic life there.