By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest issue with Nintendo when they are successful is that they become too greedy

Wow thats nuts to me u justified yhose other games. None of these warrants a full price amount. But thats just me. I think 10do has been lazy for 3 gens now. Ur just noticing now. Imo @least.

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:

Wow thats nuts to me u justified yhose other games. None of these warrants a full price amount. But thats just me. I think 10do has been lazy for 3 gens now. Ur just noticing now. Imo @least.

I don’t think he was justifying it so much as illustrating the continued decline of effort on Nintendo’s part.

Yeah, I’ve given them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of the ports since there’s been either multiple games or extra content. And also because I don’t blame them for wanting to recoup a lot of their losses with all the Wii U games that they surely lost a lot of money on at the time, which by most accounts are really modern feeling and looking enough that they could almost pass for being a new Switch game. But this one is pretty unacceptable. There was no reason for this not to be part of an All Stars collection like the Mario one where all they would have had to do is straight up port WWHD and TPHD with it. Then the price tag would be justifiable. But honestly, if people buy such an old Wii game with practically nothing new done to it for $60, then it’s really the consumers fault at that point.

Hiku said:

8 years later, I'm still salty about this one:

Not sure if they think sales will be relatively low or high for Skyward, but if you think $60 is unreasonable, since it's an old game, hopefully you can wait for a price drop.

That is true. I thought about the 3DS AC adapter situation a few days ago. Forgot about it when posting on here. I get that the DSi, DSi XL and 3DS line used the same AC adapter. But it is beyond unacceptable Nintendo did not include something necessary that was only $10. If they can't eat $10 worth of cost, that's pathetic. 

They better not pull the AC adapter situation again. Watch them release a New Switch or Switch Pro and not include the AC Adapter. 

Nintendo: Uh...a lot of people already have a Switch. And we don't want to raise the cost to consumers by including the AC adapter.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

brute said:

I don't know if Nintendo is struggling too hard with COVID but they are becoming too greedy and lazy.

The game that made me create this topic is Skyward Sword HD.

While Ive been wanting a remake/remaster for a while now, never would I have imagined that it would be a straight port with just a resolution upgrade and an extra control option? Nintendo seemingly assumes that's enough to warrant a $60 price tag. $10.00 more than the Wii version at time of release.

When Nintendos backs were against the wall they put in real effort on the Wii U and 3DS remakes/remasters. But doesnt seem to be the case for this one

At least for the other ports/remasters/remakes they put in some decent effort or included all DLC in the package.

MK8D? All DLC plus battle mode.

NSMBU? All DLC

Pikmin 3? All DLC

Super Mario 3D World? Bowsers Fury addition as it had no DLC

Links Awakening was a full blown remake of a GameBoy game.

3D All stars seemed to not warrant the $60.00 price tag but at least that was 3 games.

Skyward Sword doesnt seem like any different of a game. I may pass and wait to get this on sale during the holidays (like Links Awakening) or try to get used. Sad fact is most people will buy this at full price and I cant blame them as they wont have any other way of playing the game.

It'll just make Nintendo feel they made the right business decision to price at $60 without any real effort.

Lastly, maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong and announce extra content for the game before release.

Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD were each $60 in the 2013-2016 period which were their worst years so I'm don't think success has anything to do with it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Matsku said:

$60 for a AAA game remaster is the industry standard.

Is it? In most cases, $60 or less for a collection of AAA game remasters is the industry standard, not for a single game:

Halo Master Chief Collection, Nathan Drake Collection, Bioshock Collection, Mass Effect Collection, Borderlands Collection, Kingdom Hearts Collection, ...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

mZuzek said:
Kai_Mao said:

I don't think they've been that much greedier now than they were in the Wii U/3DS days. 

When I bought Mario Kart 8 at launch for $60 in 2014, I got:
- Mario Kart 8
- Pikmin 3
- Super Metroid
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mega Man 2
- Edge
- Abyss

When I bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for $60 in 2018, I got:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I got Wind Waker HD as my free game for buying MK8 at launch too! I was about to ask how you got all of those third-party games, but then I remembered the Digital Deluxe Program.

Desperate Nintendo was good Nintendo, but I wouldn't trade these days for those.

Captain_Yuri said:

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Yeah,but well, this is true to any company being successful. Like how Sony got greedy on yhe beggining of the PS3 era or how EA and Activision and so many more got greedy resulted in that lootbox disaster. After all, they are all big companies, making huge money just make them less and less satisfied.

About these ports situation, yeah Skyward Sword shouldn't had that price. Funny that I've had bought many third party ports for Switch but so far none from Nintendo itself (though I want Captain Toad and Mario 3D World), but to be far, it is mostly because I owned most of them on Wii U. And as long as they keep selling so much Nintendo will keep doing them. For me personally, I can get over ports I don't want as long as the console have other games I do want, so I'll spend my time on those. Is not like Switch is lacking games I want to play, so for me, I can live without those overpriced ports.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138