By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest issue with Nintendo when they are successful is that they become too greedy

mZuzek said:
Kai_Mao said:

I don't think they've been that much greedier now than they were in the Wii U/3DS days. 

When I bought Mario Kart 8 at launch for $60 in 2014, I got:
- Mario Kart 8
- Pikmin 3
- Super Metroid
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mega Man 2
- Edge
- Abyss

When I bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for $60 in 2018, I got:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

That was because the Wii U was doing poorly.

Around the Network
Marth said:
Random_Matt said:

They are like Apple, fans are irrational and buy anything they put out. Intel's fan base are also a funny lot too, as is Nvidia's.

Yeah they sure bought the WiiU, Virtual Boy, Hey Pikmin, Star Fox Zero, Amiibo Festival and Labo like there is no tomorrow. Just to name a few.

Labo sold over 2 million copies so that isn't the greatest example.

$60 for a AAA game remaster is the industry standard. Not saying it's acceptable, but why would Nintendo make it cheaper than other companies are? Also, it doesn't seem Nintendo is doing anything less than most companies when they Remaster a game.

Last edited by Matsku - on 18 February 2021

Dulfite said:

Having one game ported with a resolution bump and nothing else isn't exactly proof they are greedy, especially when the original game (while extremely popular to some such as myself) was not popular and sold horribly (about 4 million I think). The $60 price tag is probably Nintendo looking at past sales of this game, estimating sales on the Switch , and coming up with a way to justify the expense of creating new controls and updating the visuals.

The other ports listed prove they do include a lot of value for those games to be priced at their point. One game isn't a pattern (even a few wouldn't be). You'd need like 10+ games to have a pattern proving they are becoming greedy.

Not to mention that porting a game with a resolution bump, updated controls, and some other tweaks to the UI and game mechanics, then pricing the result at $60, was exactly what Nintendo already did with both Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

I guess people didn't make as much of a fuss over them doing it with those two games because Wind Waker's visual style happened to translate insanely well to HD, and Twilight Princess HD was released when the Wii U was basically dead and Nintendo were clearly focusing on what would become the Switch, but this is really just them repeating what already worked twice, rather than them somehow getting drunk off the Switch's success.

brute said:

I don't know if Nintendo is struggling too hard with COVID but they are becoming too greedy and lazy.

The game that made me create this topic is Skyward Sword HD.

While Ive been wanting a remake/remaster for a while now, never would I have imagined that it would be a straight port with just a resolution upgrade and an extra control option? Nintendo seemingly assumes that's enough to warrant a $60 price tag. $10.00 more than the Wii version at time of release.

When Nintendos backs were against the wall they put in real effort on the Wii U and 3DS remakes/remasters. But doesnt seem to be the case for this one

At least for the other ports/remasters/remakes they put in some decent effort or included all DLC in the package.

MK8D? All DLC plus battle mode.

NSMBU? All DLC

Pikmin 3? All DLC

Super Mario 3D World? Bowsers Fury addition as it had no DLC

Links Awakening was a full blown remake of a GameBoy game.

3D All stars seemed to not warrant the $60.00 price tag but at least that was 3 games.

Skyward Sword doesnt seem like any different of a game. I may pass and wait to get this on sale during the holidays (like Links Awakening) or try to get used. Sad fact is most people will buy this at full price and I cant blame them as they wont have any other way of playing the game.

It'll just make Nintendo feel they made the right business decision to price at $60 without any real effort.

Lastly, maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong and announce extra content for the game before release.

They did release WW HD and TP HD on their own pretty much full price too...  when the Wii U was failing.

But the thing i dislike is they are starting to take fans for granted. Like that direct had nothing much for the audience that has the Switch since launch. 

But yea, TP and WW are coming to Switch, let's hope it will be a collection of some sort. I don't know if SS will do that well on it's own at 60$ tbh.

Around the Network
OlfinBedwere said:
Dulfite said:

Having one game ported with a resolution bump and nothing else isn't exactly proof they are greedy, especially when the original game (while extremely popular to some such as myself) was not popular and sold horribly (about 4 million I think). The $60 price tag is probably Nintendo looking at past sales of this game, estimating sales on the Switch , and coming up with a way to justify the expense of creating new controls and updating the visuals.

The other ports listed prove they do include a lot of value for those games to be priced at their point. One game isn't a pattern (even a few wouldn't be). You'd need like 10+ games to have a pattern proving they are becoming greedy.

Not to mention that porting a game with a resolution bump, updated controls, and some other tweaks to the UI and game mechanics, then pricing the result at $60, was exactly what Nintendo already did with both Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

I guess people didn't make as much of a fuss over them doing it with those two games because Wind Waker's visual style happened to translate insanely well to HD, and Twilight Princess HD was released when the Wii U was basically dead and Nintendo were clearly focusing on what would become the Switch, but this is really just them repeating what already worked twice, rather than them somehow getting drunk off the Switch's success.

I think Windwaker HD had a LOT more work involved than Skyward Sword. The leap in visuals is stunning for WW to WWHD. Skyward Sword barely looks better. I'm sure they spent a lot more money on WWHD port.

I mean, yes we hear this criticism all the time and I would respect those who felt this way if they don't buy the software at full price. Tons of businesses get away with charging high prices for their goods and services because their customer base refuses to tell them no. This is the same thing that happens to the Pokémon fanbase. They lose their minds over something...and proceed to buy it anyways. Like, how does that send your message to anyone? The same with Link's Awakening, Mario 3D All-Stars, etc. The market believes that the software is worth the price and they're buying it.

I understand people who have this argument mean well and I understand their sentiments, but often times they are the same people who buy said overpriced software, play it to death, and still complain about the price. In terms of being "Lazy"...that's not something any of us can really claim as we don't work on any of their titles or know how much time they've allotted for certain titles to be brought to market.

Overall, it's impossible to figure out Nintendo. Sometimes they do perfectly sensible things, other times they don't. I just find it's not worth beating this dead horse anymore.
If they releases something I feel is overpriced, I will wait for a price drop, sale, Black Friday, etc. And yes, I think Skyward Sword HD as it is presented now is not worth $60.

Dulfite said:

I think Windwaker HD had a LOT more work involved than Skyward Sword. The leap in visuals is stunning for WW to WWHD. Skyward Sword barely looks better. I'm sure they spent a lot more money on WWHD port.

Looking at footage of the GameCube version of Wind Waker upscaled to HD resolution via emulation, it looks like most of the assets in the HD version are pretty much the same as the original; they just redid the game's lighting and added in a few new effects. Granted, that probably is more effort than they put into Twilight Princess HD or Skyward Sword HD, but I think Wind Waker HD's upgrades are more along the lines of a small number of changes that combine with the game's existing art style to produce really nice results in HD.

I mean, they're greedy regardless. But yes, they tend to get worse when they're doing particularly well.

I can't imagine them charging for online during the Wii U and 3DS days. And I do think we'd get slightly better value in ports and remakes.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Rather than greed, I'd say it's a project with effort proportional to the amount of sales they expect from it because if they were anticipating big things, they would have done more to increase its perceived value.