By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest issue with Nintendo when they are successful is that they become too greedy

Random_Matt said:

They are like Apple, fans are irrational and buy anything they put out. Intel's fan base are also a funny lot too, as is Nvidia's.

Yeah they sure bought the WiiU, Virtual Boy, Hey Pikmin, Star Fox Zero, Amiibo Festival and Labo like there is no tomorrow. Just to name a few.

Around the Network

They also make less games.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Nintendo are the principle of quality over quantity, they are the Disney in the movie industry, the Mercedes in the car industry. They have always been that way. They ensure everyone has the best experience possible as long as you pay your way. A greedy Nintendo is still miles better than a greedy Sony and Microsoft. Examples have shown in the past that regardless how greedy Nintendo is with their software, they have always and consistently released affordable and well built products. Sony and MS have shown their true colors too many times and have paid the price for it. Nintendo tends to bring gamers and none gamers into the industry with affordable and innovative products with software that leads by example. Its not always about the visuals or the tech of the game that makes a Nintendo game expensive, its expensive because of the quality control and polish they bring to the table.

They can have a little mercy with 3rd party game prices however that's all up to 3rd party companies not Nintendo. As for their own games, well they aren't overpriced, they could be cheaper however they are sold at regular price which is the standard. Sony are talking about raising their game prices to $70 and MS had to back pedal their Subscription prices as they tried to raise them for no apparent reason. Nintendo just sell their games at the average price. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 18 February 2021

Same with Sony and MS. Same with any corporation. What's new?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nintendo is "greedy" no doubt but I think the remasters/ports have more to do with the opportunity that rises from a lack of backwards compatibility than anything else.

See if the Switch was backwards compatible with the wiiU, I highly doubt they would make as many ports/remasters because people can get the wiiU version and will get very similar visuals/experience with a lot of these remasters/ports. It's similar to the lazy ports/minimal effort remasters which were on ps4 and xbox one. They have had a ton of remasters/ports due to the lack of BC. But now with the Ps5/SeriesX, because of BC, they will have a lot less ports/remasters from the ps4/one era. Especially since Sony and MS are practically giving a lot of these games away through PS+ Collection and Gamepass.

Imo if Switch 2 has BC to Switch, I doubt we will see as many ports/remasters of switch games compared to the wiiU games to the switch regardless of how successful Switch 2 is. Assuming they don't call it the Switch U that is...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Nintendo is "greedy" no doubt but I think the remasters/ports have more to do with the opportunity that rises from a lack of backwards compatibility than anything else.

See if the Switch was backwards compatible with the wiiU, I highly doubt they would make as many ports/remasters because people can get the wiiU version and will get very similar visuals/experience with a lot of these remasters/ports. It's similar to the lazy ports/minimal effort remasters which were on ps4 and xbox one. They have had a ton of remasters/ports due to the lack of BC. But now with the Ps5/SeriesX, because of BC, they will have a lot less ports/remasters from the ps4/one era. Especially since Sony and MS are practically giving a lot of these games away through PS+ Collection and Gamepass.

Imo if Switch 2 has BC to Switch, I doubt we will see as many ports/remasters of switch games compared to the wiiU games to the switch regardless of how successful Switch 2 is. Assuming they don't call it the Switch U that is...

One has to wonder just why these consoles were made without backwards compatibility...

Marth said:
Random_Matt said:

They are like Apple, fans are irrational and buy anything they put out. Intel's fan base are also a funny lot too, as is Nvidia's.

Yeah they sure bought the WiiU, Virtual Boy, Hey Pikmin, Star Fox Zero, Amiibo Festival and Labo like there is no tomorrow. Just to name a few.

Yeah it only applies to certain products, for Nintendo it's Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda stuff that reliably sells all the time with an occasional dark horse like Wii Sports/Fit, Animal Crossing. The rest can be hits or misses while most of their IPs sell rather modestly. Same goes for Apple, people buy iphones and ipads all the time but their marketshare in PC/laptops remains pretty small.

Btb, I've just looked Miitopia's pricing and it's 50 bucks. So they basically deem it as worthy as Captain Toad it seems.

Also Miitopia's a gem s y'all better play it !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

mZuzek said:
Captain_Yuri said:

One has to wonder just why these consoles were made without backwards compatibility...

To be fair, there are a number of technical reasons as to why BC wasn't done for Ps4/X1/Switch.

Now sure, if they put enough effort behind it, I am sure they could have given an option one way or another. But I can't fault any of these companies for going the "lazy" route instead of spending R&D money on a feature who's purpose is to make them less money and generally isn't the main decision maker when it comes to console purchases for most people. Cause imo, because of the drastic changes in architecture, it wouldn't have been as easy as compared to say ps4/x1 > ps5/series x.

Now if they didn't have any BC for the PS5/Series X and Switch 2 (assuming Switch 2 has a similar architecture as Switch), I would certainly facepalm at that point.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Mar1217 said:

Btb, I've just looked Miitopia's pricing and it's 50 bucks. So they basically deem it as worthy as Captain Toad it seems.

Also Miitopia's a gem s y'all better play it !

So you are telling me there will be a DLC pack coming out of nowhere a year later? ;)