By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't make up my mind about whether to get a Series X and here's why

From the moment Hellblade II was announced, I was like, "welp, guess I'm buying a Series X" since I loved the first game so much, plus I'd get to play Halo Infinite and any other 9th gen games I end up wanting, (RE8 looks pretty awesome) as well as 8th gen games I missed out on like RE7.

Here's my problem though; what if most of these games just end up releasing on Switch's successor a few years down the line? Should I just wait for that and save myself spending hundreds of dollars on a system I may not need?

For example, if I ended up caving and buying a PS4/Xbone in 2016 or so, I'd feel pretty annoyed now as pretty much all the games I wanted to play ended up coming to Switch; Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, Crash 4, etc. So I ended up not needing a PS4/Xbone at all and getting one would've been a waste of hard-earned cash.

It's pretty safe to assume the likes of RE7/8 will come to Switch's successor, and with a lot of MS exclusives having made their way to Switch in the past few years, there seems a reasonable chance Hellblade II might follow suit. And with no shortage of Switch software to keep me going in the mean time, maybe I should skip Series X and wait. I can't make up my mind.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 February 2021

Around the Network

You can buy a Series X now and enjoy the different games that will come for it way before they release on Switch soft successor or full successor AND with much better settings. Seems easy to me. If I had the money, I'd buy a PS5 without hestitation.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I would just go PC, if you can afford it. Switch/PC combo seems to be the best experience imo

Do you like the games that the Series X has right now? Cause it doesn't have Hellblade 2 yet or Halo Infinite... So if you don't care for it's library as of right now but instead are thinking about the future games, then I'd just wait and see what happens.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

i have a good answer : Gamepass.
You have acces to a lots of games (Microsoft games day 1) and you can try a lot of games for almost free and even buy them en Swicht if that is your prefered option.
The full Gears and halo saga is available in gamepass plus Forza games so 1 month subscription is worth the money.
Maybe a Series S will be a good option for you.

Around the Network

Switch Successor: If you can wait about 2 or 3 years.

Xbox Series S: If you don't mind about power, wants to play some Microsoft Exclusives right now, or wants to spend less cash.

Xbox Series X: Only if you wants to play Microsoft Exclusives right now, full power, and have some money to spend.

For both Series S and Series X, you can have Gamepass and play quite a bit of games for free, so that's something else to think.

You can always upgrade your PC too. Also, if you get some good RIG, you can have even more than what an Xbox would give you.

Well depends if you are wanting the ultimate experience. I cannot see games like Hellblade 2 running better on the next Switch besides thats even if it comes out. You could wait 2 to 3 years for the next Switch and even longer for the Port if it happens.

Personally you cannot go wrong with PC or Xbox. Sure the Hardware is expensive however you make that all back on PC due to better discounts or on Xbox due to GamePass.

curl-6 said:

From the moment Hellblade II was announced, I was like, "welp, guess I'm buying a Series X" since I loved the first game so much, plus I'd get to play Halo Infinite and any other 9th gen games I end up wanting, (RE8 looks pretty awesome) as well as 8th gen games I missed out on like RE7.

Here's my problem though; what if most of these games just end up releasing on Switch's successor a few years down the line? Should I just wait for that and save myself spending hundreds of dollars on a system I may not need?

For example, if I ended up caving and buying a PS4/Xbone in 2016 or so, I'd feel pretty annoyed now as pretty much all the games I wanted to play ended up coming to Switch; Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, Crash 4, etc. So I ended up not needing a PS4/Xbone at all and getting one would've been a waste of hard-earned cash.

It's pretty safe to assume the likes of RE7/8 will come to Switch's successor, and with a lot of MS exclusives having made their way to Switch in the past few years, there seems a reasonable chance Hellblade II might follow suit. And with no shortage of Switch software to keep me going in the mean time, maybe I should skip Series X and wait. I can't make up my mind.

Get the Series X and just get gamepass when it has something you want to play.  You will save a ton of money that way, then even if you wanted to buy it again on a Switch successor you can without needing to double dip.  If you really want to save and graphics don't matter as much, Series S is an option as well.

Gamepass really does make for a great incentive to choose Series X as a console to own alongside the Switch (unless you have a beast rig of course).  And since you missed out on a some games last gen, you will have something to play while you wait for the gen 9 games to drop.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Just use the time to save up for a PC you can then use it for gamepass and other stuff like Vgchartz.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Well, if your primary gaming console is the Switch you don't care about power. No shade intended. You care about the games.

Split the difference. Get a series s. Get Gamepass.

Gg.