By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't make up my mind about whether to get a Series X and here's why

SKMBlake said:
Shiken said:

If a game you want is not on gamepass, get it on sale.  Between that and the games that are on gamepass, you still save a ton of money.  It is a really simple concept.

And as a primary Switch gamer I can get a damn good idea of what will come to Switch, what MIGHT come to Switch/Switch 2 YEARS later, and what will not come at all.  I got a Series X day 1 and don't regret it.  I will enjoy RE8 for example this year, rather than wait YEARS to see if it will come to Switch 2 at all.

Yeah but game pass games are kinda lame or super old, no point of having a 500$ console to play 6 years old Witcher 3. And game pass costs you 120$ per year, for playing meh games you don't even own, that's a lot of money spend on what doesn't belong to you.

And what's the point of not waiting for game releases ? We have a recent bad example of how bad a game released early can run poorly.

We can all be thankful that your deluded view of gamepass is just that, a delusion.

Around the Network

Definitly not worth buying the new consoles yet. I currently have a PS5.

There just is not enough next gen experiences to be had on either. I would imagine the Series X is even worse off.

That being said, Gamepass is the real deal, and if you plan to play the full Xbox catalogue in glorious 4k on a Series X for the first time, I would say go ahead!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

User warned - Bristow9091

Last edited by Bristow9091 - on 17 February 2021

If you are willing to wait for the games, then I'd suggest just waiting for the hardware as well.  The games might come to Switch, or they might not and you buy a cheaper X|S.  If you are wanting to play games right now, then get a cheap PC.  There are more gaming options there.

Libara said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah but game pass games are kinda lame or super old, no point of having a 500$ console to play 6 years old Witcher 3. And game pass costs you 120$ per year, for playing meh games you don't even own, that's a lot of money spend on what doesn't belong to you.

And what's the point of not waiting for game releases ? We have a recent bad example of how bad a game released early can run poorly.

We can all be thankful that your deluded view of gamepass is just that, a delusion.

Yep, but that's not like I haven't tried it. Actually I got a subscription for 3 times, each separated for 1 year/6 months. Last time, I played a little bit of Doom Eternal, and Forza, but the remaining of the catalogue wasn't appealing.

Around the Network

In your situation I would say yes. As others have stated, there's no guarantee that future Microsoft games or other AAA games will continue to come to Switch and/or its successor. Plus, the games will undoubtedly look and play better on a Series X, especially if you have a 4K TV.

I have a Switch, but don't have a PS4 or XB1. So when I got a Series X and Game Pass I had hundreds of games suddenly available to me that weren't on Switch and it's been awesome.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Get a Series S, because its evident you don't care that much about performance or visual fidelity. Its still going to be a lot more powerful than a Switch successor as well.

For the record, I own both a Series S and X. I enjoy using both but some titles I save for Series X if the visual fidelity and performance disparity is too significant.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

RolStoppable said:

For the record, this is the same guy who not too long ago said that he'll never buy another Nintendo console. Now he's on the brink of never buying a non-Nintendo console again.

Curl has always been flip floppy on that, I remember his disdain for the 3ds merely existing past switch launch. 

Curl maybe get Series S?

Shinobi-san said:

Definitly not worth buying the new consoles yet. I currently have a PS5.

There just is not enough next gen experiences to be had on either. I would imagine the Series X is even worse off.

That being said, Gamepass is the real deal, and if you plan to play the full Xbox catalogue in glorious 4k on a Series X for the first time, I would say go ahead!

I think for a lot of people, myself included, feel the new consoles were worth buying already because how it enhances existing games or cross gen games.

Quick resume is a great Xbox feature if I feel like jumping into my progress quickly. Faster loading, more 60 fps experiences either by brute force or patches. Even playing Halo:MCC at a solid 60 fps with split screen is a nice bonus we didn't have until the new consoles launched.

This isn't like previous gens where you just waited for new games on your new console. Improving my backlog is a big deal.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

SKMBlake said:
Shiken said:

If a game you want is not on gamepass, get it on sale.  Between that and the games that are on gamepass, you still save a ton of money.  It is a really simple concept.

And as a primary Switch gamer I can get a damn good idea of what will come to Switch, what MIGHT come to Switch/Switch 2 YEARS later, and what will not come at all.  I got a Series X day 1 and don't regret it.  I will enjoy RE8 for example this year, rather than wait YEARS to see if it will come to Switch 2 at all.

LMAO no dude, gamepass games are not lame.  You must not have been keeping in the loop.  In a two month period, I played over 200 bucks worth of games.  This includes Gears 5 (and Hivebuster DLC), Jedi Fallen Order, Battlefield V, Sea of Thieves, and The Medium.  And there are a number of other games I want to play that I have not gotten to yet.

Seriously saying gamepass games are lame is on the same level of denial people who claims Switch only gets lame games from 3rd parties or Sony only makes interactive movies disguised as games.  But much like they have their opinions, you can have yours (even if it does not line up with the vast majority).

Last edited by Shiken - on 17 February 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261