By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't make up my mind about whether to get a Series X and here's why

A bigger question is. What if you buy the console now and the game gets canceled. I nearly bought an XBO for Phantom Dust remake and Scalebound. I know some people who really looked forward to Fable Legends as well. Wait and see if the game releases. But Hellblade II has no chance of being canceled right? Any game has a chance of being canned.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

If you are considering the series X a pc is probably the right answer

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

There are alternatives, you simply pester CGI to make you a comp from his old parts, if that fails you make a thread asking for VGChartz
members to post what parts they no longer use and are willing to give away, then with that done you get CGI or Pem to pick out the best match ups.

If that fails I have another plan, you sneak down to Melbourne. while I'll steal a yacht and sail across Bass Strait, and pick you up in Port Melbourne if anyone asks tell them you are waiting for the Ferry to Tasmania but it's broken down and they have sent a yacht, then we depart for South Australia to track down Pemalites house should be easy we just ask around the local fire stations, should take us no more than twenty minutes, how many stations could they have ? once found you break into his house while I keep watch and bingo one great gaming PC easypeasy. now I know you are going to complain about this being far from a simple computer pickup, but the alternatives tracking down CGI in the US and he might shoot us.

PS. PM me if you have any queries, we can't alert the Pem last time I incurred his wrath he cursed me, and to this day I no longer have matching socks.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 17 February 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

For me I got the series mainly for gamepass and also because of the hardware that it yes. Best in console market. I know u can get gamepass on pc but to get pc hardware to match those on series x, it would cost u at least 3 series x if not more. In my country nz just gpu alone is 2 to 3 times series x price. That's just 1 part of the pc lol. U can get series x and many years of gamepass and still have money to do what u want with it.

However if u have gaming pc than go for it. Gamepass games won't come on switch only reason hellblade came on the switch is because ms didn't own the developer at the time. Same with game slike doom. Deal with Bethesda is mot finalised yet. Future next gen games would be way to much for switch or the next iteration of switch. Remember Nintendo is all about having fun rather than having high end spec gaming console..

Hope that helps

It's hard to say what the Switch "2" will be like. Its form factor, power levels and 3rd party support is all up unknown. Let's just say it is another hybrid, then there's no way Nintendo are going to get anything like the performance of a Series X from a console that needs to consider battery life and price point. Even with ALSS and Xavier chip tech baked in I think somewhere about 2 teraflops is reasonable, which is slightly higher than a base PS4. This means games @1080p running at good frame rates and games chasing higher resolutions than that being gimped.
Just my opinion.
I agree with TheTitaniumNub. If you can afford it a PC/Switch combo is pretty much the best....

Around the Network

You didn't want to spend cash on a console last gen but people in here recommending a gaming PC?
If you want a quick price for performance value, Series X (with Gamepass) or Series S (if you don't have a 4k TV)
If you have good internet xCloud will be your cheapest option to play Hellblade 2 (and other MS games).
If you have the money to invest, PC.

I wouldn't get the Series X on one game alone, but I'm enjoying Gears Tactics, Yakuza Like a Dragon, and The Medium so far.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Everyone is like "oh you should get the game pass" but what if the games he wants to play aren't on the game pass and he will eventually buy them on the Switch anyway ?

My take is: do not get a Series X, you know nothing about the games that might eventually come, and less whether they won't come on the Switch.

SKMBlake said:

Everyone is like "oh you should get the game pass" but what if the games he wants to play aren't on the game pass and he will eventually buy them on the Switch anyway ?

My take is: do not get a Series X, you know nothing about the games that might eventually come, and less whether they won't come on the Switch.

If a game you want is not on gamepass, get it on sale.  Between that and the games that are on gamepass, you still save a ton of money.  It is a really simple concept.

And as a primary Switch gamer I can get a damn good idea of what will come to Switch, what MIGHT come to Switch/Switch 2 YEARS later, and what will not come at all.  I got a Series X day 1 and don't regret it.  I will enjoy RE8 for example this year, rather than wait YEARS to see if it will come to Switch 2 at all.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
SKMBlake said:

If a game you want is not on gamepass, get it on sale.  Between that and the games that are on gamepass, you still save a ton of money.  It is a really simple concept.

And as a primary Switch gamer I can get a damn good idea of what will come to Switch, what MIGHT come to Switch/Switch 2 YEARS later, and what will not come at all.  I got a Series X day 1 and don't regret it.  I will enjoy RE8 for example this year, rather than wait YEARS to see if it will come to Switch 2 at all.

Yeah but game pass games are kinda lame or super old, no point of having a 500$ console to play 6 years old Witcher 3. And game pass costs you 120$ per year, for playing meh games you don't even own, that's a lot of money spend on what doesn't belong to you.

And what's the point of not waiting for game releases ? We have a recent bad example of how bad a game released early can run poorly.