By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Control PS5 vs Xbox Series

You miss this part:

https://www.psu.com/news/control-ultimate-edition-ps5-size-is-42-smaller-than-xbox-series-x-due-to-kraken-compression-technique/#:~:text=PS4%20PS5%20Remedy-,Control%20Ultimate%20Edition%20PS5%20Size%20Is%2042%25%20Smaller%20Than%20Xbox,Due%20To%20Kraken%20Compression%20Technique&text=The%20PS5%20version%20of%20Control,console's%20improved%20Kraken%20compression%20technique.

Control Ultimate Edition PS5 Size Is 42% Smaller Than Xbox Series X Due To Kraken Compression Technique

The game is 25gb on PS5, and 42gb on the XSX/S.
Due to differnces in compression techniques.

Crazy how much a differnce that can make.

Around the Network

Looks like a slight victory for the PS5.

Also, I think it was Gamespot that did a PS4/PS5 comparison, and the load times for the PS5 version of Control was about 5 seconds.

Edit: Gamespot tested the load times from the main menu while DF tested the load times from fast travel. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 03 February 2021

Impressive results. Even the Series S is impressive that it's mostly 60 fps. I think what ever system you're playing it on (Xbox Series X/S, or PS5) you're getting a very good experience.
I know people hate on Series S, it's definitely above Xbox One X level in performance, which is why I think games won't be held back as much as people think.

That stutter is happenning when stated by digital foundry is when new items appear like text, segway to areas amd citseceanes and any addition to the screen. Its speculated that is ram limitation on the xbox family. Could be the ps5 has more disposable ram available so it has free space when the new items show up.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

shikamaru317 said:

Kind of strange that the PS5's faster SSD isn't really improving load times compared to Series S and X on this game. The fastest load time DF got was actually on Series S, though only by a fraction of a second.

I wanted to say it could be a CPU bottle neck, but then that would imply Sony wasted resources the all that extra speed on the SSD. So far we've only seen a second or 2 advantage despite the 2x difference in performance. I guess ports and cross gen games are not the best place to judge the value of the SSDs. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Sogreblute said:

Impressive results. Even the Series S is impressive that it's mostly 60 fps. I think what ever system you're playing it on (Xbox Series X/S, or PS5) you're getting a very good experience.
I know people hate on Series S, it's definitely above Xbox One X level in performance, which is why I think games won't be held back as much as people think.

It depends really. CPU and storage are lightyears faster than Xbox One X, but so far based on the results we've been seeing in early games, it seems like Series S is a bit behind Xbox One X in terms of GPU power, and it also has less and slower RAM than XB1 X. However, GPU features are highly scalable, so the fact that it essentially has the same CPU and SSD as Series X means that it shouldn't really hold back development much, so far it seems like it will be a perfectly adequate next gen console for those who still have a 1080p tv, though resolution will fall below 1080p on some games, things like temporal reconstruction and the upcoming AMD competitor for Nvidia's DLSS should help to keep Series S adequate for 1080p gaming throughout the generation. 

Arent devs coming out and saying its the ram that is making series s the bottleneck? Graphical efects are scalable but gameplay effects are not due to ram. Enemy amount ai and all that are ram limited

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

JRPGfan said:

You miss this part:

https://www.psu.com/news/control-ultimate-edition-ps5-size-is-42-smaller-than-xbox-series-x-due-to-kraken-compression-technique/#:~:text=PS4%20PS5%20Remedy-,Control%20Ultimate%20Edition%20PS5%20Size%20Is%2042%25%20Smaller%20Than%20Xbox,Due%20To%20Kraken%20Compression%20Technique&text=The%20PS5%20version%20of%20Control,console's%20improved%20Kraken%20compression%20technique.

Control Ultimate Edition PS5 Size Is 42% Smaller Than Xbox Series X Due To Kraken Compression Technique

The game is 25gb on PS5, and 42gb on the XSX/S.
Due to differnces in compression techniques.

Crazy how much a differnce that can make.

That is actually kind of really good, given the ps5 (and Xbox) have extremely limited storage space.  Compression is a must.  

So SS can't even do 1080p native now for last gen games. SMH.

So PS5 outperformed Xbox yet again and another bug time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

So PS5 outperformed Xbox yet again and another bug time.

Its always a bug.