By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Control PS5 vs Xbox Series

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

Funny how you skipped a bunch of more recent comparisons, where the Series X had the edge.  This comment shows you have either been under a rock, or willfully ignoring Hitman 3, next gen patch for Fallen Order, etc.

In any case, this edge goes to PS5.  Been a while, but that stutter in performance mode on the Series X cannot be ignored.  Hopefully it gets patched.  I will probably play it with RT on, since it seems to be pretty rock solid.

If you look I haven`t been on VGC for several days, maybe even weeks.

The comparisons where Series X had an edge did Digital Foundry claimed there were bugs on PS5 version?

So bugs are only a viable excuse for the PS5?

And no both the next gen patch for Fallen Order and Hitman 3 were clear cut victories for the XSX.  One could argue optimization, as with Valhalla and Dirt 4 on Series X, but a bug was not suspect in these comparisons.

Hell one could even argue this is a tie if they really wanted to, with the crushed blacks hampering the image quality of the PS5.  However the frame stutters are more noticable to me, so I still give the nod to PS5 in this case.  Both issues in both versions seem patchable, so I hope that is the case so everyone gets the best experience.

Last edited by Shiken - on 04 February 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

The comparisons where Series X had an edge did Digital Foundry claimed there were bugs on PS5 version?

And no both the next gen patch for Fallen Order and Hitman 3 were clear cut victories for the XSX.  One could argue optimization, as with Valhalla and Dirt 4 on Series X, but a bug was not suspect in these comparisons.

Hell one could even argue this is a tie if they really wanted to, with the crushed blacks hampering the image quality of the PS5.  However the frame stutters are more noticable to me, so I still give the nod to PS5 in this case.  Both issues in both versions seem patchable, so I hope that is the case so everyone gets the best experience.

Nope. But oddly only when Xbox is below PS5 DF count it as a bug.

You see, Fallen Order and Hitman 3 that were victories for Xbox weren't listed as bug, but I can't remember a single victory for PS5 that they didn't suspect of bugs and even after several patches those more or less are still in favor of PS5 just as at the release.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:

The only issues on both versions (crushed blacks for PS5, stuttering for XSX) will be fixed with patches according to Remedy.

Is it Remedy's place to fix it though?

Control on PS5 (and it seems other titles) appears to have crushed blacks and a generally darker presentation. System level screenshots show the same thing, ruling out a capture issue.

It seems like it's either a calibration issue on their side or a problem in the PS5 output, maybe a HDR to SDR conversion problem or that stupid RGB full/limited difference again. Do screenshots capture HDR this gen or are they converted to SDR like video capture.

I would like to see a simple test, test pattern in, does the same file come out or does the system alter it. The 360 applied a system level gamma correction (downwards making everything darker), hopefully it's not something like that and merely some HDR/SDR growing pains.

Perhaps just a calibration issue, one answer on Eurogamer

"The PS5 has an awesome system level HDR calibration (done through the settings menu) that sets the baseline for all applications (streaming apps and games alike) then you can fine tune on a game by game basis within the game menu if needed.

Surely this initial system level calibration would have an affect on the output to the capture device?"

You would think with digital transmission standards devices could figure this out without the need to calibrate the output...

Otter said:
shikamaru317 said:

Kind of strange that the PS5's faster SSD isn't really improving load times compared to Series S and X on this game. The fastest load time DF got was actually on Series S, though only by a fraction of a second.

I wanted to say it could be a CPU bottle neck, but then that would imply Sony wasted resources the all that extra speed on the SSD. So far we've only seen a second or 2 advantage despite the 2x difference in performance. I guess ports and cross gen games are not the best place to judge the value of the SSDs. 

Current gen game engines are built to run on hard drives. Once we move on from cross-gen games in a couple/few years time we'll see some big changes in load times. Even some games now on PS5 like Spiderman and Demons Souls with sub 3 sec load times, for example.

And if UE5 demo is anything with ultra high quality assets streaming is anything to go by.. lets be patient :P

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

Funny how you skipped a bunch of more recent comparisons, where the Series X had the edge.  This comment shows you have either been under a rock, or willfully ignoring Hitman 3, next gen patch for Fallen Order, etc.

In any case, this edge goes to PS5.  Been a while, but that stutter in performance mode on the Series X cannot be ignored.  Hopefully it gets patched.  I will probably play it with RT on, since it seems to be pretty rock solid.

I haven’t read most of the DF threads, but what games were bugs referenced as issues for the XSX version? I know of two, which are this one, and Dirt 5. And for PS5, I remember a bug being the reason why Cold War dropped frames in some areas. And for Dirt 5 and CoD, DF was exactly right. Devs confirmed their bug speculation and patched it. And apparently Remedy already plans to fix the stuttering with a patch. 

So I’m curious... do they have some long list of other games where they claim bugs but are proven to be incorrect? You make it seem as if they have made the claim a lot and are wrong a lot. Please educate me. Because AFAIK they are now 3 for 3 across both consoles.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

You see, Fallen Order and Hitman 3 that were victories for Xbox weren't listed as bug, but I can't remember a single victory for PS5 that they didn't suspect of bugs and even after several patches those more or less are still in favor of PS5 just as at the release.

Pretty sure they called out a bug on the PS5 for Cold War.  But hey, conspiracy right?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

shikamaru317 said:
mjk45 said:

I agree and my PotentHerbs quote  was in respect of Svennoj assuming it was 11 seconds from the loading screen. the DF times were apparently taken from fast travel so even if gamespot did the S and X from title screen it would not affect the 11 second results.

That's weird, title screen loads are usually slowed than fast travel loads, so you would think that the 5 second load would be the fast travel one.

There is an easy explanation: the level ain't fully loaded when they stop the clock at 5:16 seconds:

Just watch the Gamespot Video from 2:15 to 2:50:

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/control-ultimate-ps5-vs-ps4-loading-times-and-gameplay-comparison/2300-6454596/

When they stop the clock at 5:16 seconds, there is only a black screen and the audio monologue begins. The first level graphics we see when the pS4 versions are 24 seconds into loading.

A lot of fast travels to different destinations makes much more sense to show the loading time advantages. On my PC, the fast travel loading times are between 7 and 9 seconds, depending on the destination. Jumps on the same floor (f. e. two different jump points in Sealed threshold) only 3 - 5 seconds.

For a good comparison they could f. e. set a route of 5 - 10 fast travel destinations with avoiding jump points on the same floor (research, containment, foundation...) in a row. Then jump through the same route on different devices and stop all loading times. With that data, they could show the average or cumulative loading time per system.

Last edited by Conina - on 04 February 2021

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

Pretty sure they called out a bug on the PS5 for Cold War.  But hey, conspiracy right?

They called bug after it was pointed to them and reinforced that if you were starting from the checkpoint it didn`t occur (so it was random).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:

You miss this part:

https://www.psu.com/news/control-ultimate-edition-ps5-size-is-42-smaller-than-xbox-series-x-due-to-kraken-compression-technique/#:~:text=PS4%20PS5%20Remedy-,Control%20Ultimate%20Edition%20PS5%20Size%20Is%2042%25%20Smaller%20Than%20Xbox,Due%20To%20Kraken%20Compression%20Technique&text=The%20PS5%20version%20of%20Control,console's%20improved%20Kraken%20compression%20technique.

Control Ultimate Edition PS5 Size Is 42% Smaller Than Xbox Series X Due To Kraken Compression Technique

The game is 25gb on PS5, and 42gb on the XSX/S.
Due to differnces in compression techniques.

Crazy how much a differnce that can make.

Now this is the type of innovation I like to see

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JRPGfan said:

You miss this part:

https://www.psu.com/news/control-ultimate-edition-ps5-size-is-42-smaller-than-xbox-series-x-due-to-kraken-compression-technique/#:~:text=PS4%20PS5%20Remedy-,Control%20Ultimate%20Edition%20PS5%20Size%20Is%2042%25%20Smaller%20Than%20Xbox,Due%20To%20Kraken%20Compression%20Technique&text=The%20PS5%20version%20of%20Control,console's%20improved%20Kraken%20compression%20technique.

Control Ultimate Edition PS5 Size Is 42% Smaller Than Xbox Series X Due To Kraken Compression Technique

The game is 25gb on PS5, and 42gb on the XSX/S.
Due to differnces in compression techniques.

Crazy how much a differnce that can make.

Doesn't seem they are employing the Xbox Series X's compression capabilities to it's fullest extent, it's the same size as the Xbox One version, I expect that to end up being common as the development platform between the Xbox Series X and Xbox one are fairly similar.

BCPack does provide higher levels of texture compression than Kraken (50% vs 20-30%). - Although Kraken could be more comprehensive as it's not limited to just texture data.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--