By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Control PS5 vs Xbox Series

So now the conversation is photo mode? A new low to give the xbox an edge. Thats basicly removing every gameplay aspect, every physics, ai, data streaming absolutely everything execpt what the GPU uses. It will pretty much tell you what tje spec sheet will tell you 16% diference. There was zero point for digital foundry to do that.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Oh noes DF is biassed again

eva01beserk said:

So now the conversation is photo mode? A new low to give the xbox an edge. Thats basicly removing every gameplay aspect, every physics, ai, data streaming absolutely everything execpt what the GPU uses. It will pretty much tell you what tje spec sheet will tell you 16% diference. There was zero point for digital foundry to do that.

Yeah, how dare they bring up anything that does not favor the PS5!  Blasphemous!

*end sarcasm*

I still give the PS5 the edge overall here because of the frame studder, but this is a fine example of cherry picking at its finest.  DF did not make the rendering in photo mode better on XSX, they just reported the fact.  Because their job is to...ya know...report on every difference they can find between versions.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

Yeah, how dare they bring up anything that does not favor the PS5!  Blasphemous!

*end sarcasm*

I still give the PS5 the edge overall here because of the frame studder, but this is a fine example of cherry picking at its finest.  DF did not make the rendering in photo mode better on XSX, they just reported the fact.  Because their job is to...ya know...report on every difference they can find between versions.

How is this a diference? They shut off every other aspect of the game. Ever heard of a console is the entire package and not just the GPU? Even with that how is a freeze frame indicative of a  game. That would even make cyberpunk look good on ps4/x1. There was no need to do this as it basicly tells you exactly what the paper spec sheet tells you. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

*end sarcasm*

How is this a diference? They shut off every other aspect of the game. Ever heard of a console is the entire package and not just the GPU? Even with that how is a freeze frame indicative of a  game. That would even make cyberpunk look good on ps4/x1. There was no need to do this as it basicly tells you exactly what the paper spec sheet tells you. 

It is a difference because it is in fact...different.  I mean...thats just basic english.  I guess we should stop comparing load times as an advantage because on paper the SSD is clearly faster on the PS5?

I mean, that seems to be what you are suggesting here.  I think you are taking every little thing in these comparisons a bit too seriously.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

It is a difference because it is in fact...different.  I mean...thats just basic english.  I guess we should stop comparing load times as an advantage because on paper the SSD is clearly faster on the PS5?

I mean, that seems to be what you are suggesting here.  I think you are taking every little thing in these comparisons a bit too seriously.

Diference about ssd is that nothing needs to be changed to test load times. Its in actual gameplay that is tested. For this you actually need to stop playing the game to test this photo mode.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

Diference about ssd is that nothing needs to be changed to test load times. Its in actual gameplay that is tested. For this you actually need to stop playing the game to test this photo mode.

Because those loading screens have a ton of gameplay, right?  Good thing loading has never made us stop playing the game...so why do we need SSD again?

Seriously dude, you are not doing your argument any favors.

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

Because those loading screens have a ton of gameplay, right?  Good thing loading has never made us stop playing the game...so why do we need SSD again?

Seriously dude, you are not doing your argument any favors.

Are you serious right now? You are now comparing how fast a still inmage passes to how good a still inmage looks. Becasue I dont remember anybody saying how great the hint on the leading screen looks. Again the load test are how fast you can get back to the game that the test show. And as you can see by all the loading test being done even by digital foundry, theres more to it than just the raw spec of the ssd while the game is actually runing. Where you to do just a data transfer you probably would see just the raw spec of the ssd. 

It’s a GPU benchmark bro, chill out. It’s either interesting to you or not, no need to go all console warz on it.

eva01beserk said:

eva01beserk said:

Are you serious right now? You are now comparing how fast a still inmage passes to how good a still inmage looks. Becasue I dont remember anybody saying how great the hint on the leading screen looks. Again the load test are how fast you can get back to the game that the test show. And as you can see by all the loading test being done even by digital foundry, theres more to it than just the raw spec of the ssd while the game is actually runing. Where you to do just a data transfer you probably would see just the raw spec of the ssd. 

I'm pretty sure, Digital Foundry would have prefered to play and bench the 30fps-locked quality mode without the fps lock. But that's currently not possible.

In future game updates Remedy could offer an unlocked quality mode (or an 40fps-locked quality mode for 120 Hz TVs)... maybe they are waiting for Sony to catch up offering VRR to avoid pissing off PS5 users with a VRR compatible TV.

And the DF video answers the question, if such an unlocked quality mode (or an 40 fps lock for 120 Hz TVs) would be worth it or if the GPU performance would stay below 35 or 40 fps anyways most of the time.

Their photomode test gives good information about the probable ingame-performance in the GPU-bottleneck, even with these "freeze frames" (where you can still move the camera around and every frame has to be rendered with all graphic effects).

The "physics, ai, data streaming, absolutely everything execpt what the GPU uses" are neglible in Control, since the CPU performance of the PS5, Series S and Series X won't be the bottleneck in this game over 99 percent of the time. The much slower CPU of the PS4 and Xbox One have to calculate the same "physics, ai, data streaming..." and the CPU usage on my PC stays between 1/5 and 1/3 running Control while the GPU is at its limits most of the time (except level loading in evelators and by fast travel of course):

Last edited by Conina - on 06 February 2021