By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 2, 2021 (Jan 04 - Jan 10)

Tagged games:

That 2020 momentum is rolling on into 2021 and this time there's no early year drought to wear it out with the likes of Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and Pokemon Snap in just the first 4 months of the year.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

That 2020 momentum is rolling on into 2021 and this time there's no early year drought to wear it out with the likes of Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and Pokemon Snap in just the first 4 months of the year.

Last year's low sales were due to the temporary production stop in light of the corona crisis.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-1-4-21-1-10-21-top-30/

1. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 87,087 / 1,510,537
2. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 45,124 / 6,517,609
3. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 44,282 / 2,202,001
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 34,027 / 3,575,063
5. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 24,189 / 4,092,228
6. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 21,086 / 586,089
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 19,933 / 1,760,384
8. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 14,069 / 513,225
9. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 13,895 / 3,732,158
10. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 12,885 / 1,787,548

11. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 12,057 / 3,919,364
12. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 11,021 / 536,634
13. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield + Expansion Pass – 9,661 / 181,784
14. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin – 9,218 / 109,881
15. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise – 7,781 / 49,880
16. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 7,710 / 1,013,202
17. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 7,305 / 1,748,951
18. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 6,983 / 2,197,429
19. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 6,648 / 326,454
20. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 – 6,234 / 77,092
21. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 5,249 / 1,054,338
22. [NSW] Family Trainer – 4,860 / 32,053
23. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (New Price Edition) – 4,508 / 46,571
24. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – 4,309 / 162,275
25. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version – 4,048 / 559,406
26. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat – 3,986 / 101,700
27. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch – 3,808 / 355,040
28. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythmic Adventure Pack – 3,802 / 64,948
29. [NSW] Derby Stallion – 3,745 / 121,740
30. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 3,442 / 737,965

NS - 29

PS4 - 1



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-1-4-21-1-10-21-top-30/

1. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 87,087 / 1,510,537
2. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 45,124 / 6,517,609
3. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 44,282 / 2,202,001
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 34,027 / 3,575,063
5. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 24,189 / 4,092,228
6. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 21,086 / 586,089
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 19,933 / 1,760,384
8. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 14,069 / 513,225
9. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 13,895 / 3,732,158
10. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 12,885 / 1,787,548

11. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 12,057 / 3,919,364
12. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 11,021 / 536,634
13. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield + Expansion Pass – 9,661 / 181,784
14. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin – 9,218 / 109,881
15. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise – 7,781 / 49,880
16. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 7,710 / 1,013,202
17. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 7,305 / 1,748,951
18. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 6,983 / 2,197,429
19. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 6,648 / 326,454
20. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 – 6,234 / 77,092
21. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 5,249 / 1,054,338
22. [NSW] Family Trainer – 4,860 / 32,053
23. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (New Price Edition) – 4,508 / 46,571
24. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – 4,309 / 162,275
25. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version – 4,048 / 559,406
26. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat – 3,986 / 101,700
27. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch – 3,808 / 355,040
28. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythmic Adventure Pack – 3,802 / 64,948
29. [NSW] Derby Stallion – 3,745 / 121,740
30. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 3,442 / 737,965

NS - 29

PS4 - 1

There's always that one PS4 game preventing clean sweeps. In a way it's kinda funny the PS4 is consistently getting 1 now.



Norion said:
curl-6 said:

Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-1-4-21-1-10-21-top-30/

1. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 87,087 / 1,510,537
2. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 45,124 / 6,517,609
3. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 44,282 / 2,202,001
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 34,027 / 3,575,063
5. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 24,189 / 4,092,228
6. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 21,086 / 586,089
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 19,933 / 1,760,384
8. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 14,069 / 513,225
9. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 13,895 / 3,732,158
10. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 12,885 / 1,787,548

11. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 12,057 / 3,919,364
12. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 11,021 / 536,634
13. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield + Expansion Pass – 9,661 / 181,784
14. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin – 9,218 / 109,881
15. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise – 7,781 / 49,880
16. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 7,710 / 1,013,202
17. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 7,305 / 1,748,951
18. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 6,983 / 2,197,429
19. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 6,648 / 326,454
20. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 – 6,234 / 77,092
21. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 5,249 / 1,054,338
22. [NSW] Family Trainer – 4,860 / 32,053
23. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (New Price Edition) – 4,508 / 46,571
24. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – 4,309 / 162,275
25. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version – 4,048 / 559,406
26. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat – 3,986 / 101,700
27. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch – 3,808 / 355,040
28. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythmic Adventure Pack – 3,802 / 64,948
29. [NSW] Derby Stallion – 3,745 / 121,740
30. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 3,442 / 737,965

NS - 29

PS4 - 1

There's always that one PS4 game preventing clean sweeps. In a way it's kinda funny the PS4 is consistently getting 1 now.

There are 9million PS4 owners. Im sure many of them are buying a new game to play....... 



Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Norion said:

There's always that one PS4 game preventing clean sweeps. In a way it's kinda funny the PS4 is consistently getting 1 now.

There are 9million PS4 owners. Im sure many of them are buying a new game to play....... 

I know, I just find it a bit funny how consistent it's becoming that only one non-Switch game is getting into the top 30.



Prior Update: December

3rd Party Top 30 Switch

  1. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 1.760.384 
  2. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.510.537 
  3. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 592.407
  4. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco) - 559.406 (+1)
  5. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 554.560 (-1)
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 370.235 (+1)
  7. Yo-kai Watch 4 (Level 5) - 358.356 (-1)
  8. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 326.454 (+2)
  9. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate* (Capcom) - 309.596 (-1)
  10. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 295.237 (-1)
  11. eBaseball 2020 (Konami) - 248.024
  12. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) - 225.614
  13. Super Bomberman R3* (Konami) - 215.218
  14. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft) - 213.453
  15. Octopath Traveller (Square Enix) - 193.780
  16. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) - 181.090
  17. Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco) - 149.562
  18. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 146.363
  19. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco) - 145.720
  20. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) - 129.142
  21. FIFA 18 (EA) - 122.998
  22. Derby Stallion (Game Addict) - 121.740 (+5)
  23. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 117.954 (-1)
  24. Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco) - 112.104 (-1)
  25. Pro Baseball Famista Evolution (Bandai Namco) - 110.954 (-1)
  26. The Snack World: TreJarers Gold (Level 5) - 109.955 (-1)
  27. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 109.881 NEW
  28. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 101.700 NEW
  29. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 100.451 (-3)
  30. Dragon Ball FighterZ (Bandai Namco) - 92.697 (-2)

TOTAL: 9.585.572

Top 10 Publishers:

  1. Konami - 2.199.393
  2. Bandai Namco - 2.024.047
  3. Microsoft - 1.760.384 
  4. Square Enix - 1.181.875
  5. Level 5 - 468.311
  6. Sega - 370.235
  7. Koei Tecmo - 326.454
  8. Capcom - 309.596
  9. Marvelous - 256.244
  10. Ubisoft - 213.453

Konami takes a commanding lead at the Top of the Top 10 Publishers, 

Marvelous, Capcom and Square will be the publishers with the highest profile games in the coming Quarter.

Imagineer should knock Ubisoft from the Top 10 with Fitness Boxing 2 and the updated numbers for Fitness Boxing

Looking forward the Famitsu Top 100 as I think there are several games that will get a substantial update thanks to it(One Piece Warriors 4, Friends of Mineral Town, Disney Tsum Tsum, Fitness Boxing



Bandai Namco has released lots of smaller games on the Switch like all those Encore titles and the late ports. If you add those together BN is still ahead of Konami for now.

With proper support Bandai Namco wouldn't be falling behind Konami but here we are. It's very different on PS4...



noshten said:

Switch Top 10 2020(by Week 2):

  1. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 268.620
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 66.295
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 64.073
  4. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 62.808
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 57.403
  6. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 57.212
  7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 53.379
  8. Ring Fit Adventure - 51.930
  9. Super Mario Party - 46.653
  10. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco) - 35.938

TOTAL: 764.311

HARDWARE TOTAL: 401.128

Week 1 2021 Top 20:

  1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 277.514
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 139.506
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 117.880
  4. Ring Fit Adventure - 114.996
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 79.054
  6. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 66.440
  7. Super Mario Party - 57.752
  8. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 57.463
  9. Pokemon Sword / Shield + Expansion Pass - 50.542*
  10. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 50.419

TOTAL: 1.011.566

HARDWARE TOTAL: 479.717

*Pokemon Sword / Shield didn't make the Top 10 likely in 6th position

Software + Hardware are up about 20 % YoY. This should be the case until March. I guess that Nintendo will be a bit more prepared for the demand this year and there will be less supply constrained weeks. I'm not sure if Monster Hunter can sell as well as Animal Crossing in Japan, but I think Nintendo should have a very good year in Japan again, maybe even better.



Previous Monster Hunter titles' impact on hardware sales near launch in Japan, weekly retail sales estimates from Famitsu

[PS4] Monster Hunter: World (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (¥8.980)

WEEK -7 {04.12.2017 - 10.12.2017}
PlayStation 4 - 79.242 / 5.654.958 (+151%) (release of the limited edition PS4 Pro MH World bundle)

WEEK -6 {11.12.2017 - 17.12.2017}
PlayStation 4 - 73.142 / 5.728.100 (-8%)

WEEK -5 {18.12.2017 - 24.12.2017}
PlayStation 4 - 70.581 / 5.798.681 (-4%)

WEEK -4 {25.12.2017 - 31.12.2017}
PlayStation 4 - 58.182 / 5.856.863 (-18%)

WEEK -3 {01.01.2018 - 07.01.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 103.607 / 5.960.470 (+78%)

WEEK -2 {08.01.2018 - 14.01.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 41.188 / 6.001.658 (-60%)

WEEK -1 {15.01.2018 - 21.01.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 44.910 / 6.046.568 (+9%)

WEEK +1 {22.01.2018 - 28.01.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 140.432 / 6.187.000 (+213%)
Monster Hunter: World - 1.350.412 / NEW (game was selling out leading to big digital share, total launch sales were around 2m)

WEEK +2 {29.01.2018 - 04.02.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 109.286 / 6.296.286 (-22%)
Monster Hunter: World - 223.274 / 1.573.686 (-83%)

WEEK +3 {05.02.2018 - 11.02.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 70.172 / 6.366.458 (-36%)
Monster Hunter: World - 114.740 / 1.688.426 (-49%)

WEEK +4 {12.02.2018 - 18.02.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 48.391 / 6.414.849 (-31%)
Monster Hunter: World - 85.762 / 1.774.188 (-25%)

WEEK +5 {19.02.2018 - 25.02.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 36.193 / 6.451.042 (-25%)
Monster Hunter: World - 54.915 / 1.829.103 (-36%)

WEEK +6 {26.02.2018 - 04.03.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 26.843 / 6.477.885 (-26%)
Monster Hunter: World - 38.504 / 1.867.607 (-30%)

WEEK +7 {05.03.2018 - 11.03.2018}
PlayStation 4 - 27.323 / 6.505.208 (+2%)
Monster Hunter: World - 24.351 / 1.891.958 (-37%)

Total PS4 hardware sales during the 7 weeks before launch (including the full Christmas/New Year shopping season and bundle release)
-> 470.852 (avg 67.265)

Total PS4 hardware sales during the 7 weeks since launch
-> 458.640 (avg 65.520)

Monster Hunter: World's launch was basically as strong as the preceding holiday season for PS4 hardware sales. In the end World shipped 3.2 million units on PS4, 34% of the console's current install base.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990)

WEEK -7 {22.07.2013 - 28.07.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 55.719 / 11.906.380 (+6%)

WEEK -6 {29.07.2013 - 04.08.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 61.896 / 11.968.276 (+11%)

WEEK -5 {05.08.2013 - 11.08.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 57.837 / 12.026.113 (-7%)

WEEK -4 {12.08.2013 - 18.08.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 71.731 / 12.097.844 (+24%) (Obon Festival holiday)

WEEK -3 {19.08.2013 - 25.08.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 52.141 / 12.149.985 (-27%)

WEEK -2 {26.08.2013 - 01.09.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 59.392 / 12.209.377 (+14%)

WEEK -1 {02.09.2013 - 08.09.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 78.300 / 12.287.677 (+32%)

WEEK +1 {09.09.2013 - 15.09.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 298.354 / 12.586.031 (+281%)
Monster Hunter 4 - 1.875.115 / NEW (same story, game was sold out and digital sales went pretty high for a 3DS game, a couple 100ks)

WEEK +2 {16.09.2013 - 22.09.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 173.544 / 12.759.575 (-42%)
Monster Hunter 4 - 432.286 / 2.307.401 (-77%)

WEEK +3 {23.09.2013 - 29.09.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 139.808 / 12.899.383 (-19%)
Monster Hunter 4 - 234.713 / 2.542.114 (-46%)

WEEK +4 {30.09.2013 - 06.10.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 117.739 / 13.017.122 (-16%)
Monster Hunter 4 - 164.593 / 2.706.707 (-30%)

WEEK +5 {07.10.2013 - 13.10.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 242.780 / 13.259.902 (+106%) (release of Pokémon X/Y)
Monster Hunter 4 - 111.230 / 2.817.937 (-32%)

WEEK +6 {14.10.2013 - 20.10.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 164.115 / 13.424.017 (-32%)
Monster Hunter 4 - 97.336 / 2.915.273 (-12%)

WEEK +7 {21.10.2013 - 27.10.2013}
Nintendo 3DS - 117.010 / 13.541.027 (-29%)
Monster Hunter 4 - 60.206 / 2.975.479 (-38%)

Total 3DS hardware sales during the 7 weeks before launch (including Obon Festival holiday)
-> 437.016 (avg 62.431)

Total 3DS hardware sales during the 7 weeks since launch (including Pokémon X/Y launch)
-> 1.253.350 (avg 179.050)

Monster Hunter 4's launch provided a bigger boost to hardware sales than Pokémon X/Y's did, despite MH4 being a lower seller itself and the fact that X/Y was the first main Pokémon game to hit the 3DS while Monster Hunter already had 3 Ultimate two years earlier which became a multimillion-seller. In the end MH4 shipped 4.1 million units on 3DS, 16% of the handheld's final install base (note: MH4 Ultimate released a year later shipped 2.9m additional units).

This took longer than I expected, I might do Freedom Unite and Freedom 3 later.

Last edited by HereWeGo - on 15 January 2021