By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 13-19 - Switch Sales Top 75M, PS5 Tops 4M

No sight of Cliff (TM)



Around the Network
sales2099 said:
curl-6 said:

I wouldn't call any of those years "the best years for Xbox" compared to the peak years of the 360.

Oh me too. Exclusive wise no but I’ve certainly played as many games this past 2 years as I have back in those days. Engagement is on a record rise and revenue generated by the division, which would make his statement technically true. 

I guess one's personal "best" is subjective but I think it would be extremely hard to a top a year like 2007 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Portal, etc) or 2010. (Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Bioshock 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Black Ops, etc.)

Financially though, was revenue in 2017/2018/2019 as high as 2010, 2011, or 2012?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
sales2099 said:

Oh me too. Exclusive wise no but I’ve certainly played as many games this past 2 years as I have back in those days. Engagement is on a record rise and revenue generated by the division, which would make his statement technically true. 

I guess one's personal "best" is subjective but I think it would be extremely hard to a top a year like 2007 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Portal, etc) or 2010. (Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Bioshock 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Black Ops, etc.)

Financially though, was revenue in 2017/2018/2019 as high as 2010, 2011, or 2012?

Revenue higher in the last 3 years? I'd say yes. The growth would be less about selling more games and more about the growth in microtransactions with games like Fortnite and CoD Warzone. Plus Nintendo now charges for playing games online on the Switch, and we also have Xbox Game Pass and PS Now. Xbox Game Pass with having over 15 million subs is likely bringing in $150-$200 million per month with the potential to grow as big as the big TV/movie streaming services like Netflix. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

curl-6 said:
sales2099 said:

Oh me too. Exclusive wise no but I’ve certainly played as many games this past 2 years as I have back in those days. Engagement is on a record rise and revenue generated by the division, which would make his statement technically true. 

I guess one's personal "best" is subjective but I think it would be extremely hard to a top a year like 2007 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Portal, etc) or 2010. (Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Bioshock 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Black Ops, etc.)

Financially though, was revenue in 2017/2018/2019 as high as 2010, 2011, or 2012?

The Xbox division has never been as succesful as it is now, which is the main reason Nadella trusts Spencer and promoted him to Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft in 2018 and also gave the division a huge budget increase that same year. So, at least financially and economically, 2020 has been the best year ever for Xbox.

Whether one likes the games they make or not is another matter entirely, but this is the objective data we have.



Elputoxd said:

The Xbox division has never been as succesful as it is now, which is the main reason Nadella trusts Spencer and promoted him to Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft in 2018 and also gave the division a huge budget increase that same year. So, at least financially and economically, 2020 has been the best year ever for Xbox.

Whether one likes the games they make or not is another matter entirely, but this is the objective data we have.