By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 13-19 - Switch Sales Top 75M, PS5 Tops 4M

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Not for no reason; so that they could have a $300 SKU at launch. No way they could do that while keeping it as powerful as the X.

Whether it pays off is another matter entirely, but they didn't make it "weaker for no reason".

I meant "for no good reason", my bad. Either you sacrifice disc player, or you sacrifice power in order to lower your price, not both.

Not gonna lie, if it had a disc drive, the Series S would be the one I'd buy as while I don't care about 4K, I do care about physical media.

As things stand, if I do buy an Xbox Series, it'll the X solely so I'm not limited to digital only.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
SKMBlake said:

Not comparable

Because it pokes a hole in your point. Sure this is the first generation where one company made 2 specd skus, but the principle is the same. “Weak” consoles have appeal so long as the price and games are there. 

History has shown us that high end specs matter to people like us, but less so to the majority of people that invest in video games. You missed the news where MS said 40% of new Xbox gamers at launch bought a Series S? 

Not true. The weaker cononsole was only a bit weaker than its competitor. There has never been a gap lile this before. Even if you wana ignore that MS dosent advertise the series s. But the series is is closer to 8th gen than it is to 9th. Thats mainly due to the release of the pro versions last gen. But the only time a console showed such a power disparity was the Wii and the Wii did its own thing it dint chace the harcore multiplatform games. The top games on it where games not available anyware else so there was never any comparisons. So the series s will not appeal to the casual market the way you are making it out to be.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

haxxiy said:

Crazy that the Switch sold so well this year... except for January and February. The pandemic console indeed.

What will happen when children are back to school, though?

I'm curious as to what specifically makes the hybrid Switch the "pandemic" console. Obviously video games as a whole have benefited, but if anything, Sony and MS's machines should benefit more as they're more centered around gaming at home while Switch is more geared towards handheld, on-the-go gaming.

It's not just kids staying home, it's essentially most people.

I guess "pandemic" is the new "teh casualz." Seems Nintendo products are always given an excuse for their success. 

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 03 January 2021

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

Because it pokes a hole in your point. Sure this is the first generation where one company made 2 specd skus, but the principle is the same. “Weak” consoles have appeal so long as the price and games are there

History has shown us that high end specs matter to people like us, but less so to the majority of people that invest in video games. You missed the news where MS said 40% of new Xbox gamers at launch bought a Series S? 

It's obviously not the same. One system hasn't been marketed the same, hasn't seen the same of level of stock, performance is noticeably different and it comparatively offers a weak power to price ratio. It's also competing directly with the Series X.

If anything players seem to want the primary, standard and most widely available system. The one front and centre in advertising since launch- because usually there's no cutbacks it's the same system their friends/family own and their experience isn't limited.

Marketing can change, stock can change, casuals don’t care about performance so much as games themselves at a good price. Launch sales are dictated by enthusiasts but a year from now? Less so. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Because it pokes a hole in your point. Sure this is the first generation where one company made 2 specd skus, but the principle is the same. “Weak” consoles have appeal so long as the price and games are there. 

Not true. The weaker cononsole was only a bit weaker than its competitor. There has never been a gap lile this before. Even if you wana ignore that MS dosent advertise the series s. But the series is is closer to 8th gen than it is to 9th. Thats mainly due to the release of the pro versions last gen. But the only time a console showed such a power disparity was the Wii and the Wii did its own thing it dint chace the harcore multiplatform games. The top games on it where games not available anyware else so there was never any comparisons. So the series s will not appeal to the casual market the way you are making it out to be.

Wii had a sizeable power gap. Switch too. PS2 maybe if just compared to the Xbox. Why would MS advertise the Series S when launch sales appeal to enthusiasts who typically get the high end model? It’s there for the long game. Series S is a big leap from base Xbox One and PS4, the vast majority of the generations user bases. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Wii had a sizeable power gap. Switch too. PS2 maybe if just compared to the Xbox. Why would MS advertise the Series S when launch sales appeal to enthusiasts who typically get the high end model? It’s there for the long game. Series S is a big leap from base Xbox One and PS4, the vast majority of the generations user bases. 

Like I said. The Wii was the only one with such a power gap. And you ignored all my other points about Nintendo standing out outside power.

Switch is a hamdheld first so a power gap was expected. Dosent matter as Nintendo consoles sell on the back on their ips. Xbox not so much.

And you are kidding yourself if you think power diference was large between the ps2 and the competition.

And why adevrtise the series s? Because you claim is for casuals. You think casuals do research or are in gaming sites or any of the sort? No. Casuals by their very definition buy whats shown on their faces. If its not marketed they will not see it and will not buy it. 

But again. You ignore why previous consoles who had less power sold better than the competition. Price was only one factor. But they atracted customers not by power but by experiences not available elsewhere. Like games or gimicks like motion controls. The series s has no such thing that makes casuals want to flock to it. Price alone will not make it the next hot thing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
sales2099 said:

PS2, Wii, Switch come to mind. 

In fact, no console who was the strongest on the market ever won a console generation before the PS4, totally negating his argument:

2nd Gen Atari 2600 won, Atari 5200, Colecovision and the Intellivison were more powerful

3rd Gen: NES won, Master System and PC Engine were more powerful

4th Gen: SNES won, NEo-Geo and SupergraphX were more powerful

5th Gen: PSOne won, N64 was more powerful

6th Gen: PS2 won, Xbox and Gamecube were more powerful

7th gen: Wii won, PS3 and Xbox 360 were more powerful

8th gen: PS4 won, and was also the most powerful unless you want to count the One X

It’s not really about being the most powerful so much as the most compelling. Power, or perception of power, can definitely factor into the argument of what makes a console compelling. I am sure most didn’t realize the N64 was more powerful considering the games didn’t look as nice; of course, most of the reason PlayStation games looked much better was not because of the 3D, but rather the 24-bit colour pre-rendered art and FMVs that were either of poor quality or lacking in N64 games. PS2 games often blew GameCube and Xbox games away because PS2 is where the bigger budget games were located. With handhelds, SNES, Wii, Switch, and other consoles, Nintendo had other factors at play - most notably the controllers were superior to the competition and the killer apps for the consoles drove sales ahead of the competition. With NES, Switch, and Wii, the concepts heavily influenced sales. Sometimes it’s just the slick look, DS Lite.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

eva01beserk said:

But the series is is closer to 8th gen than it is to 9th. 

Not really. The Series S is a mid range 2020 technology while the One X is a high end 2013 technology, the gap is huge.

sales2099 said:
Dallinor said:

It's obviously not the same. One system hasn't been marketed the same, hasn't seen the same of level of stock, performance is noticeably different and it comparatively offers a weak power to price ratio. It's also competing directly with the Series X.

If anything players seem to want the primary, standard and most widely available system. The one front and centre in advertising since launch- because usually there's no cutbacks it's the same system their friends/family own and their experience isn't limited.

Marketing can change, stock can change, casuals don’t care about performance so much as games themselves at a good price. Launch sales are dictated by enthusiasts but a year from now? Less so. 

Want a bet so?

I say the Series X remains the overall highest selling Xbox Series system for this generation (by a considerable margin - millions of units).

Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

Want a bet so?

I say the Series X remains the overall highest selling Xbox Series system for this generation (by a considerable margin - millions of units).

That's not really a bold bet