By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 13-19 - Switch Sales Top 75M, PS5 Tops 4M

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

As you see, launch scarcity doesn’t require a system seller, though it is nice for gamers. I myself played Gears 5 Hivebusters and Gears Tactics. Beat 5 games from EA Play myself. 

I wouldn’t count out 2021. Plenty room for announced games. So not really much of a wait. Also I never understood the PC/laptop argument you just said. If you are a PC gamer you simply play Xbox on PC. If you are a console gamer you buy a Xbox. Either way if the games are great Xbox getting your time and money one way or another. 

Launch is also not indicative of real demand. Or dont you remember Wii u and x1? As soon as the holiday craze ends we will see if they dint need exclusives. And considering outside of the US the series s was comonly available I say they where severly in need of some big games.

Pc matters mainly in regards to xbox as they share their library. For Nintendo it dosent matter cuz phones can be double the power of a switch but you can't get their games on said phone so you need a switch. The thing about laptops is that everyone has one and almpst everyone needs one specially after all this lockdowns. If people need a computer and get the bare minimum and that cannalready play games as good as a series s and had the games, what incentive is there to get a series s?frankly you would not, you would go to the next step up amd get a series x. Sadly this is something that will mainly affect xbox. 

I agree, launch demand settles down and that’s when the 2021 lineup kicks in. I am confident it’s better then many assume. 

Pc and console gamers are not the same. Yes there is an unknown overlap percentage but many are either one or the other. Console casuals also gaming on PC seems silly to me, as does people being fine playing high graphics games on bare minimum settings. There’s a big variety in tastes and demographics. I can see Series S appealing to kids (and parents on a budget) for example. 

Otherwise you pretty much nailed MSs philosophy. If people gonna be gaming on PC and laptops no matter what, better off bringing Xbox to them. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 03 January 2021

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Seems pointless to be disappointed in any console sales right now for Switch or next gen. They're all so supply restricted. Everything they can make is selling in most places.

sales2099 said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah, Phil also said that 2017, 2018 and 2019 would be the best years for Xbox so far, and that he was even more confident after the PS5 reveal.

So yeah, Phil always says non-sense

They were, each better then the last. Revenue wise too. 

2017 introduced Game Pass, a little service that ended up being the best value in gaming. 15+ million on a 48 million instal base compared to PS Now 2+ million on a 115 million install base should explain enough. 

2018 saw the release of Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, and especially Forza Horizon 4. Games that are to this day supported with a more then active community. How many PS games from 2018 got updates in 2020 and how active are those communities? This is rhetorical.

2019 saw Gears 5 and Outer Worlds day 1 on Game Pass. Some great additions to the service as it rapidly grew. Day 1 first party access made the service rapidly grow. Xbox expanding its reach in the PC space. 

Also why dismiss Phil’s claims about being confident about spec superiority? They waited to get the full RDNA chipset, which is hurting them in the short term but should benefit them in the long. All ready seeing reversals like Dirt 5. 

(sorry mods, I do feel this response is warranted due to the low key false assertions)

I wouldn't call any of those years "the best years for Xbox" compared to the peak years of the 360.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:
sales2099 said:

They were, each better then the last. Revenue wise too. 

I wouldn't call any of those years "the best years for Xbox" compared to the peak years of the 360.

Oh me too. Exclusive wise no but I’ve certainly played as many games this past 2 years as I have back in those days. Engagement is on a record rise and revenue generated by the division, which would make his statement technically true. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

No sight of Cliff (TM)

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
curl-6 said:

Oh me too. Exclusive wise no but I’ve certainly played as many games this past 2 years as I have back in those days. Engagement is on a record rise and revenue generated by the division, which would make his statement technically true. 

I guess one's personal "best" is subjective but I think it would be extremely hard to a top a year like 2007 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Portal, etc) or 2010. (Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Bioshock 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Black Ops, etc.)

Financially though, was revenue in 2017/2018/2019 as high as 2010, 2011, or 2012?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:
sales2099 said:

I guess one's personal "best" is subjective but I think it would be extremely hard to a top a year like 2007 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Portal, etc) or 2010. (Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Bioshock 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, Black Ops, etc.)

Financially though, was revenue in 2017/2018/2019 as high as 2010, 2011, or 2012?

The Xbox division has never been as succesful as it is now, which is the main reason Nadella trusts Spencer and promoted him to Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft in 2018 and also gave the division a huge budget increase that same year. So, at least financially and economically, 2020 has been the best year ever for Xbox.

Whether one likes the games they make or not is another matter entirely, but this is the objective data we have.

Elputoxd said:

The Xbox division has never been as succesful as it is now, which is the main reason Nadella trusts Spencer and promoted him to Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft in 2018 and also gave the division a huge budget increase that same year. So, at least financially and economically, 2020 has been the best year ever for Xbox.

Whether one likes the games they make or not is another matter entirely, but this is the objective data we have.