By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 13-19 - Switch Sales Top 75M, PS5 Tops 4M

Bofferbrauer2 said:
sales2099 said:

PS2, Wii, Switch come to mind. 

In fact, no console who was the strongest on the market ever won a console generation before the PS4, totally negating his argument:

2nd Gen Atari 2600 won, Atari 5200, Colecovision and the Intellivison were more powerful

3rd Gen: NES won, Master System and PC Engine were more powerful

4th Gen: SNES won, NEo-Geo and SupergraphX were more powerful

5th Gen: PSOne won, N64 was more powerful

6th Gen: PS2 won, Xbox and Gamecube were more powerful

7th gen: Wii won, PS3 and Xbox 360 were more powerful

8th gen: PS4 won, and was also the most powerful unless you want to count the One X

It’s not really about being the most powerful so much as the most compelling. Power, or perception of power, can definitely factor into the argument of what makes a console compelling. I am sure most didn’t realize the N64 was more powerful considering the games didn’t look as nice; of course, most of the reason PlayStation games looked much better was not because of the 3D, but rather the 24-bit colour pre-rendered art and FMVs that were either of poor quality or lacking in N64 games. PS2 games often blew GameCube and Xbox games away because PS2 is where the bigger budget games were located. With handhelds, SNES, Wii, Switch, and other consoles, Nintendo had other factors at play - most notably the controllers were superior to the competition and the killer apps for the consoles drove sales ahead of the competition. With NES, Switch, and Wii, the concepts heavily influenced sales. Sometimes it’s just the slick look, DS Lite.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

eva01beserk said:

But the series is is closer to 8th gen than it is to 9th. 

Not really. The Series S is a mid range 2020 technology while the One X is a high end 2013 technology, the gap is huge.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

sales2099 said:
Dallinor said:

It's obviously not the same. One system hasn't been marketed the same, hasn't seen the same of level of stock, performance is noticeably different and it comparatively offers a weak power to price ratio. It's also competing directly with the Series X.

If anything players seem to want the primary, standard and most widely available system. The one front and centre in advertising since launch- because usually there's no cutbacks it's the same system their friends/family own and their experience isn't limited.

Marketing can change, stock can change, casuals don’t care about performance so much as games themselves at a good price. Launch sales are dictated by enthusiasts but a year from now? Less so. 

Want a bet so?

I say the Series X remains the overall highest selling Xbox Series system for this generation (by a considerable margin - millions of units).

Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

Marketing can change, stock can change, casuals don’t care about performance so much as games themselves at a good price. Launch sales are dictated by enthusiasts but a year from now? Less so. 

Want a bet so?

I say the Series X remains the overall highest selling Xbox Series system for this generation (by a considerable margin - millions of units).

That's not really a bold bet 

SKMBlake said:
Dallinor said:

Want a bet so?

Well Phil expects the Series S to sell more.

So my bet is against the head of Xbox.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
SKMBlake said:

That doesn't make it a bold bet.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Wii had a sizeable power gap. Switch too. PS2 maybe if just compared to the Xbox. Why would MS advertise the Series S when launch sales appeal to enthusiasts who typically get the high end model? It’s there for the long game. Series S is a big leap from base Xbox One and PS4, the vast majority of the generations user bases. 

Like I said. The Wii was the only one with such a power gap. And you ignored all my other points about Nintendo standing out outside power.

Switch is a hamdheld first so a power gap was expected. Dosent matter as Nintendo consoles sell on the back on their ips. Xbox not so much.

And you are kidding yourself if you think power diference was large between the ps2 and the competition.

And why adevrtise the series s? Because you claim is for casuals. You think casuals do research or are in gaming sites or any of the sort? No. Casuals by their very definition buy whats shown on their faces. If its not marketed they will not see it and will not buy it. 

But again. You ignore why previous consoles who had less power sold better than the competition. Price was only one factor. But they atracted customers not by power but by experiences not available elsewhere. Like games or gimicks like motion controls. The series s has no such thing that makes casuals want to flock to it. Price alone will not make it the next hot thing.

If only MS had a plan to make their consoles attractive this gen. Like what if they went from 5 studios to 23 and got a major publisher like I don’t know...Bethesda? If only they did that :p

Otherwise I agree it makes no sense to advertise the Series S, at this time anyway. Console launches belong to the core gamers, and we want the best console. Fall 2021 and so on from there, I expect a different situation regarding the S. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dallinor said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah, Phil also said that 2017, 2018 and 2019 would be the best years for Xbox so far, and that he was even more confident after the PS5 reveal.

So yeah, Phil always says non-sense

Dallinor said:
SKMBlake said:

The only factor that may be in your favor is if MS responds to Sony’s discless PS5 and makes a cheaper Series X without a disc drive. That would go a ways to benefit your prediction.

Otherwise I guess I’m banking on Xboxs road map which does expect Series S to sell more by end of gen. Sure, I’ll take that bet. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

SKMBlake said:
Dallinor said:

Yeah, Phil also said that 2017, 2018 and 2019 would be the best years for Xbox so far, and that he was even more confident after the PS5 reveal.

So yeah, Phil always says non-sense

They were, each better then the last. Revenue wise too. 

2017 introduced Game Pass, a little service that ended up being the best value in gaming. 15+ million on a 48 million instal base compared to PS Now 2+ million on a 115 million install base should explain enough. 

2018 saw the release of Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, and especially Forza Horizon 4. Games that are to this day supported with a more then active community. How many PS games from 2018 got updates in 2020 and how active are those communities? This is rhetorical.

2019 saw Gears 5 and Outer Worlds day 1 on Game Pass. Some great additions to the service as it rapidly grew. Day 1 first party access made the service rapidly grow. Xbox expanding its reach in the PC space. 

Also why dismiss Phil’s claims about being confident about spec superiority? They waited to get the full RDNA chipset, which is hurting them in the short term but should benefit them in the long. All ready seeing reversals like Dirt 5. 

(sorry mods, I do feel this response is warranted due to the low key false assertions)