By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 49, 2020 (Nov 30 - Dec 06)

Jumpin said:

Is this a shortage thing, or did we just see PS5 flop in Japan?

Probably both. They have no stock and the demand right now is not that high cause of the games available. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
heavenmercenary01 said:
carlos710 said:

Well battle in Japan is over before it even started.. and 2021 should be even better for the Switch. Great news for Nintendo and its fans

Well, i personally think that they'll seriously start to fiercely money hat major licenses and make them time exclusive. For now they have two timed exclusivities from Square Enix one of which lasts "At least two years".

God knows what kind of attack they could manage to regain the market in japan, or worse, to sabotage it for nintendo.

They've got Square Enix as their major biatch to bring them full support, from software and many other jap third parties that would systematically put games on Playstation exclusively.

Till now, Square didn't put any decent effort on the switch, and probably won't. Even the Barevely default 2 is looking bad to what it was expected and to what is mainly brought on playstation.  

That's not going to do much, if anything, in Japan.  The PS4 got almost every major title as an exclusive there save for Nintendo published titles and look where that got them.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 10 December 2020

seems sony is focusing on the west and leaving japan for next year

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

PS4 and PS Vita launch week was >300K. PS5 has amassed in three weeks a 213K lifetime. If that is a shortage, than Sony is showing japanese gamers the middle finger. If it is not a shortage, then it is the other way around. Either way, not a good omen for the Playstation brand in Japan.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

As mentioned else where PS5 is best compared to the PS3, both launched around the same price and were supply constrained. The difference is that Software was selling considerably better on the PS3

Hardware Sales 2006: 466.716
Software Sales 2006: 397.930

Week 49: 50.171

Week 50: 70.942

Week 51: 76.882

Week 52: 71.727

Top 5

1. Ridge Racer 7 - 98.616
  2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire - 96.714
  3. Resistance: Fall of Man - 72.694
  4. Armored Core 4 - 48.521
  5. Genji: Days of the Blade - 36.534

Overall PS5 is likely to be down compared to the PS3 after the year is over.

Top selling PS5 game is looking like it will struggle to pass 50K this holiday. And things aren't going to magically improve next year in terms of this comparision:

Hardware Sales 2007: 1.206.347
Software Sales 2007: 2.667.493

Top 5

1. Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds - 372.895
  2. Dynasty Warriors 6 - 332.168
  3. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - 306.114
  4. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 239.347
  5. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - 158.376

Overall PS5 is going to struggle to reach 1.2 million hardware and 2.6 million software, and considering how badly PS4 is performing already - we are talking about market consolidation for Nintendo. Something I've been talking about for a few years. 

Around the Network

Good to see Switch above 200k after a so-so performance last week.  It was a bit worrying since there was talk of not having notable stock problems last week but it seems stock did play a role because now we have a 60k rise week over week.

PS5's situation in Japan is troubling. I don't know which reason is the right one between "Sony cares so little of Japan sales that it hasn't bothered to send more than 12k consoles" or "Japanese consumer care so little about the PS5 that 12k is all they were able to sell" but either way that's not positive.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 10 December 2020

Signature goes here!

Mnementh said:

PS4 and PS Vita launch week was >300K. PS5 has amassed in three weeks a 213K lifetime. If that is a shortage, than Sony is showing japanese gamers the middle finger. If it is not a shortage, then it is the other way around. Either way, not a good omen for the Playstation brand in Japan.

This is what I was thinking.  Not sure if Sony doesn't care about Japan or if Japan doesn't care about Sony.  However, there are no PS5 titles in the top 10.  I don't think that is a good sign.

RolStoppable said:
FloatingWaffles said:

there's a very good chance that by the end of the Switch's life cycle Ring Fit Adventure will join the 10m+ seller club if not more, makes me so happy to see it becoming an evergreen like the rest of Nintendo's first party games because it really deserves it

switch continues to dominate

Ring Fit Adventure crossing 10m in lifetime sales (globally) is as certain as the New York Jets missing the playoffs this season. Don't say "very good chance" when we already have 100% certainty.

On topic: The PS5 has only five weeks left to pull off some half-decent numbers for its launch plus holiday period, because afterwards it will go through a long stretch of sub-10k weeks. The PS4 needed 10.5 months to reach the 1m milestone, the PS5 doesn't look like it can do it in under a year.

you're probably correct, I just don't ever look at anything as an absolute certainty until it happens 

i don't watch hockey 

FloatingWaffles said:
RolStoppable said:

Ring Fit Adventure crossing 10m in lifetime sales (globally) is as certain as the New York Jets missing the playoffs this season. Don't say "very good chance" when we already have 100% certainty.

On topic: The PS5 has only five weeks left to pull off some half-decent numbers for its launch plus holiday period, because afterwards it will go through a long stretch of sub-10k weeks. The PS4 needed 10.5 months to reach the 1m milestone, the PS5 doesn't look like it can do it in under a year.

you're probably correct, I just don't ever look at anything as an absolute certainty until it happens 

i don't watch hockey 

I believe he's referring to the american kick the rugby ball and rush- game.

Press F for PS5 in Japan.