By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2020

Best selling family this month (units)?

Nintendo family 69 77.53%

Playstation family 19 21.35%

XBOX family 1 1.12%

Total:89

It's a shame stock issues were such an issue, these could have been some of the craziest numbers we've seen from all three consoles if the supply was there. I haven't seen a single Switch console since before March at retail.

Around the Network

That's most likely made 30 million no longer feasible to achieve for the Switch now unless it has an absolutely insane December but it could still get to about 28 and get the third highest year behind the DS's two biggest years. At absolute worst it'll get the fourth highest which is still really impressive considering how massive the DS's top three years were.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe surged in the software charts, up 6 from #20 to #14.

How long until Furukawa slams his fist on the table and orders Nintendo's developers to make another SMB game...

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

kenjab said:

In followups, Mat Piscatella also said that XBox Series didn't set a record, so it's less than XBox One sold at launch.

The XBO holds the record for best launch month for an Xbox system, and #2 best launch month ever. That would put the Series X/S at under 909k.

Of course, like others have said, supply matters more than demand at launch. That's why we shouldn't put too much stock into these first two months of sales. Launch sales have never been a good barometer of future performance. Prior to the start of Gen 8, the record for best sales in launch month for a home console was the OXbox, which sold 722k in Nov. 2001 (if we include handhelds, the previous record was was held by the GBA, which sold 881k in June 2001, but that was a 5-week period which means it averaged less per week than the OXbox did, despite being available for longer during its launch month). However, the OXbox was totally outperformed by the PS2 nearly its entire run, excepting five mostly non-consecutive months in 2004. Meanwhile, the three best-selling home consoles ever in the U.S., the PS2, 360, and Wii, had relatively mediocre launches, with supply issues not being resolved until months after launch.

The real test for both the PS5 and XSX/S will be next year once supply issues are fully resolved.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 11 December 2020

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

RolStoppable said:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe surged in the software charts, up 6 from #20 to #14.

How long until Furukawa slams his fist on the table and orders Nintendo's developers to make another SMB game...

How violent

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Calling it: Odyssey 2 is in development right now

Thread now update

Well, congrats to the Switch for keeping its winning streak , but it's a shame that supply constraints affected everyone so much. I think it will be more interesting to see how the PS5/XS fare during regular non-holiday months when stock issues are solved.

Big jump for Luigi's Mansion 3.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 11 December 2020

RolStoppable said:

i ask the same thing....