Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2020

Best selling family this month (units)?

Nintendo family 69 77.53%

Playstation family 19 21.35%

XBOX family 1 1.12%

Total:89
trunkswd said:
kenjab said:

In followups, Mat Piscatella also said that XBox Series didn't set a record, so it's less than XBox One sold at launch.

Supply constrained, while the Xbox One was readily available at launch. Also Xbox Series launched in 40 markets, while Xbox One launched in just 13. I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox Series sold more than Xbox One week one, but week 2 and 3 the Xbox One sold better. 

Series X must be really supply constrained then as it had 3 full weeks of November, whereas the Xbox One launched on the 22nd of November and week 2 crossed into December with week 3 falling in December NPD. The 13 v 40 markets obviously is affecting it somewhat, maybe Microsoft would have been better to stagger the launch again, and focus on NA/UK markets as a priority.

Around the Network
Replicant said:
Intrinsic said:

I wonder what the PS and Xbox Family totals are.

I guess NPD numbers for last gen in the US will leak in the coming days?
This is the only mention of "family sales" I've come across but that's November in Europe + Australia.

Ah yes, ol' Ryuzaki predictably looking for an angle to spin this as a win for PS over Nintendo when Switch was the highest selling system.

RolStoppable said:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe surged in the software charts, up 6 from #20 to #14.

How long until Furukawa slams his fist on the table and orders Nintendo's developers to make another SMB game...

The price was cut by half during Black Friday. But the demand never stops and, it is indeed incredible what a game that was originally released in 2012 is still  doing now.  2D Mario is, beyond any doubt, the biggest Nintendo IP. 

B6a6es said:
RolStoppable said:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe surged in the software charts, up 6 from #20 to #14.

How long until Furukawa slams his fist on the table and orders Nintendo's developers to make another SMB game...

Calling it: Odyssey 2 is in development right now

That’s probably true. Although, I’d much rather have a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

While Odyssey did advance on Galaxy in some ways, it was more often taking steps backward, making the experience feel less grand, less mysterious, less free and adventurous.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Launches for Nintendo consoles and handhelds have almost always been about supply, rather than demand: demand almost always outstrips supply. While the numbers may be nice to look at, they’re not relevant until consoles start sitting on shelves for more than a few minutes without some kind of luck stroke.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I see some people here who believed that Nintendo's lack of a holiday title like Pokemon and the launch of the Switch Lite is the reason why the Switch this november is down YoY. But that is downright false, the last thing to blame for lower sales is the demand. The demand for the Switch this November is way higher than last, supply was the main problem.

To prove this, look at November 2019's sales, while they were great and high, Nintendo still met all demand that November, you didn't see scalpers on Ebay selling it for more than retail price since it was really easy to get a Switch at retail price in stores at the time. As there was more than enough supply to meet demand.

In November 2020, while the sales were pretty much the same as 2019, you see scalping everywhere on ebay and you couldn't find the regular switch anywhere in stores so people were willing to spend more than retail price for a Switch since it was hard to find anywhere despite having the same amount of supply. Clearly supply was the bigger issue this November.

Nintendo under supply during launches to increase demand legs, it seems to work for them to be less top heavy and more bottom phat

Last edited by Rab - on 12 December 2020

Some of you might be asking has the stock situation improved for the Switch this December. And based off of what im seeing ill say yes. I work at Walmart so nearly everyday I'm able to see how much Switch stock is available and I've been seeing more Switch's in stock and on store shelves, and throughout 2020 its been extremely rare to see a regular Switch in Walmart 's shelves and the days we do have them they sell out extremely quick. However, there is still plenty of stock for Switch lites but I noticed that the demand for the Switch Lite is no where near the demand of the regular Switch. When we get Switch's in stock it sells out within a couple of hours while for the Switch Lite it takes days to get it off of store shelves. So really what matters is how much OG Nintendo Switch's Nintendo could produce since there is more than enough supply for the Switch Lite. While I have been seeing OG Switch's finally on the shelves it still seems rare to see one as id see the regular Switch on shelves once every few weeks, and it still seems like my Walmart isn't getting enough Switch's to Meet demand, which is concerning. I know its only 1 Walmart compared to thousand of other places that sell Switch's but usually a store's shipments can exemplify the average amount of stock going into stores. Based off of what I see it still isn't enough so I dont expect a major increase in December, however I do expect an increase based off of the more Switch's I'm seeing in stock.

Shadow1980 said:
Evilms said:

I see you found the chart I posted over at Era and added to it. Are those your estimates, or did actual numbers get posted somewhere?

By NPD we know that the PS5 did more than the PS4 but less than the Switch, and the XSX/S did less well than the One which gives us :

1.35m > PS5 > 1.14m
XSX/S < 0.91m

curl-6 said:
Ah yes, ol' Ryuzaki predictably looking for an angle to spin this as a win for PS over Nintendo when Switch was the highest selling system.

Oh, he's a known face? Maybe even from VGC?

Regarding the "win", don't get too caught up in it. We all know that Switch was the best selling individual console. Though I remember a lot of "family sales" posts in the past (e.g. in Wii U + 3DS years) so this is hardly a new thing. But I guess you see it as spin because you know this Ryuzaki?