By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2020

Best selling family this month (units)?

Nintendo family 69 77.53%

Playstation family 19 21.35%

XBOX family 1 1.12%

Total:89

Switch is no where to be found at any BestBuy within a 250 miles radius around me. It’s such a shame that Nintendo could not produce them fast enough. I am talking about the Hybrid model, of course. The Lite is easily found everywhere.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

I'll venture a guess:

NSW: 2,200K
PS5: 1,800K
XBSX: 1,600K
XBO & PS4: No idea

You see! That's why I normally don't predict anything...

Signature goes here!

The NPD PR release was posted over at ResetEra. While the Switch was #1 in units sold, the PS5 was #1 in revenue and had the biggest launch month of any system ever. That would mean it sold more than 1140k (the previous record set by the PS4 in 2013) but less than 1350k.

Now to wait for more hard numbers.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 11 December 2020

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:

The NPD PR release was posted over at ResetEra. While the Switch was #1 in units sold, the PS5 was #1 in revenue and had the biggest launch month of any system ever. That would mean it sold more than 1140k (the previous record set by the PS4 in 2013) but less than 1350k.

In followups, Mat Piscatella also said that XBox Series didn't set a record, so it's less than XBox One sold at launch.

SW-3707-5131-3911

kenjab said:
Shadow1980 said:

In followups, Mat Piscatella also said that XBox Series didn't set a record, so it's less than XBox One sold at launch.

Supply constrained, while the Xbox One was readily available at launch. Also Xbox Series launched in 40 markets, while Xbox One launched in just 13. I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox Series sold more than Xbox One week one, but week 2 and 3 the Xbox One sold better. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Valdney said:

Switch is no where to be found at any BestBuy within a 250 miles radius around me. It’s such a shame that Nintendo could not produce them fast enough. I am talking about the Hybrid model, of course. The Lite is easily found everywhere.

Lite not carrying the load like it was earlier in the year when AC hype was at its apex. 

trunkswd said:
kenjab said:

Supply constrained, while the Xbox One was readily available at launch. Also Xbox Series launched in 40 markets, while Xbox One launched in just 13. I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox Series sold more than Xbox One week one, but week 2 and 3 the Xbox One sold better. 

Yep, it does make sense considering the supply constraints. I wasn't implying anything in my post (I personally own a Series X and never had a One), just giving Shadow more parameters to work with.

SW-3707-5131-3911

Damn! The ONE time where my ONE million units prediction would have been the closest to correct without going over, and I flubbed it!

I guess I won’t be taking home that showcase :(

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

kenjab said:
trunkswd said:

Yep, it does make sense considering the supply constraints. I wasn't implying anything in my post (I personally own a Series X and never had a One), just giving Shadow more parameters to work with.

Yeah. I've got the Series S and have been spending most of my time with AC Valhalla. With Cyberpunk and Immortals also my list of games to play I will be busy for several months. 

It is still a shame it didn't outsell the Xbox One, but it is all about supply. The Wii U had a decent enough launch, but fell flat after that. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'll venture a guess:

NSW: 2,200K
PS5: 1,800K
XBSX: 1,600K
XBO & PS4: No idea

You see! That's why I normally don't predict anything...

Your XBO & PS4 guess should have been a prediction for this month in a nutshell.

It seems like despite the "selling record", supply constraint hit the constructor hard.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909