By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think PlayStation 5 sales will be as good as Nintendo Switch sales?

This is one of the more entertaining threads I've seen on here in a while. The Switch truly brings out the best when it comes to ridiculous predictions.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

now apparently 2021 is when we reach the fabled precipice spoken of in the ancient scrolls.

WDYM, the cliff is already here. Switch plummeted from the best selling hardware to only the third best selling hardware last week. It's over now, RIP

Switch is a monster. It's going to break another record in Q3.

Mnementh said:
Tridrakious said:

I don't see Xbox Series X|S as actually providing much competition to the PS5. And I'm not trying to take a stance of fanboyism, I just don't see it doing as well outside of North America and the UK.

So I do think the PS5 will hit 130 million sold before it's all said and done. Switch and PS5 will be complimentary platforms for each other. Both pushing hardware to new heights, as typical.

The question isn't so much if the Series X/S will put up so much competition to be neck to neck with PS5. The question is: can Series X/S put up more competition than Xbox One did to PS4? And I think that may well be the case.

Also you have to consider that PC+Gamepass and Streaming are also competition to the PS5. I think Sony may struggle to reach PS4 numbers withj the new system. Sure, they can surprise me, but currently I think this gen will not going as smoothly for Sony as the PS4 gen.

What makes you say that Sony won't have a smooth time this gen? The big titles from Bethesda will release on PS5 and Sony appears to be putting more visibility on PS Now (with it being baked into the PS5 user experience).

I'm not saying they won't have a few stumbles, but they have never started a generation as strongly as they have with the PS5's launch line up. And the first full year is looking stacked as well. Microsoft will obviously have Halo Infinite in a year or two, but it is disconcerting to know that Infinite was suppose to be a launch title and it's now a year away. Also they didn't launch their new system with anything exclusive to show off the hardware.

Tridrakious said:
Mnementh said:

The question isn't so much if the Series X/S will put up so much competition to be neck to neck with PS5. The question is: can Series X/S put up more competition than Xbox One did to PS4? And I think that may well be the case.

Also you have to consider that PC+Gamepass and Streaming are also competition to the PS5. I think Sony may struggle to reach PS4 numbers withj the new system. Sure, they can surprise me, but currently I think this gen will not going as smoothly for Sony as the PS4 gen.

What makes you say that Sony won't have a smooth time this gen? The big titles from Bethesda will release on PS5 and Sony appears to be putting more visibility on PS Now (with it being baked into the PS5 user experience).

I'm not saying they won't have a few stumbles, but they have never started a generation as strongly as they have with the PS5's launch line up. And the first full year is looking stacked as well. Microsoft will obviously have Halo Infinite in a year or two, but it is disconcerting to know that Infinite was suppose to be a launch title and it's now a year away. Also they didn't launch their new system with anything exclusive to show off the hardware.

last gen, both nintendo and MS had literally NOTHING to offer to be serious competition for ps4. its less that the ps4 was good thats the reason it sold well, its more casue everyone else fucked up SO bad that ps4 was the only option.

this is obviously not the case right now.

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
Tridrakious said:

last gen, both nintendo and MS had literally NOTHING to offer to be serious competition for ps4. its less that the ps4 was good thats the reason it sold well, its more casue everyone else fucked up SO bad that ps4 was the only option.

this is obviously not the case right now.

During PS4's tenure, the Switch has sold nearly 70m and Wii U sold 14m and MS has sold nearly 50m. All said and done, they have outsold the PS4. Compared to PS2 and PS1 era this was a lot more competitive. Sure PS4 isn't get trounced like during the PS3 era, but it is still quite competitive.

Nintendo has put out potentially their most successful platform to date (still too early to tell, but just look at the Switch numbers) a few years into the PS4 being out.

Sony has had plenty of competition for the PlayStation 4. Wii U, Xbox One, Switch... Hell even Google, Facebook, Amazon and Apple have pour billions of dollars into the gaming space to carve out their own section of the market.

And let's not forget that Epic launched a competitor for Steam, something that is helping grow the PC market. All of this happened in the last 7 years. And the PS4 is still looking to hit 118 to 120 million lifetime.

Microsoft launched with nothing for the Xbox Series X|S. Nintendo is having their best performance (at least second best) with the Switch. So it will be interesting to see how Sony and Nintendo coexist, but let's not pretend that the PS4 didn't have to deal with tough competition and plenty of industry/market disruptors.

The thing about the switch coming out a few years into the PS4's lifetime is
A) The PS4 already had its momentum going
B) I find it hard to say the Switch and PS4 were really competing over the same demographic, could be wrong as many PS4/X1 owners do own a switch, but the switch has also incorporated the audience of the handhelds, and people who don't really game all that much.

badskywalker said:

The thing about the switch coming out a few years into the PS4's lifetime is
A) The PS4 already had its momentum going
B) I find it hard to say the Switch and PS4 were really competing over the same demographic, could be wrong as many PS4/X1 owners do own a switch, but the switch has also incorporated the audience of the handhelds, and people who don't really game all that much.

The way I see it, if I'm a platform holder in the video game space and someone else makes a platform in the video game space... That's a competitor. Also, the PS4 already had it's momentum, but that didn't prevent the Switch from putting up 70+ million units sold before it's been on the market for 4 years. 

Tridrakious said:
Mnementh said:

Rwad again my post you quoted. I don't doubt that Sony has prepared well for the PS5. But if I talk about the smooth experience, I don't mean problems that Sony will produce this gen. Just that in the PS4 gen the competition fumbled, and that doesn't happen again. Sure, Series X/S will probably not beating PS5. But taking a higher share of the market than the XBox One did - that seems plausible as Microsoft didn't fumble as they did with the One. And you completely ignore the other competition I mentioned (something I noticed more often on this site, people here tend to believe gaming ends with console and ignore everything else). Gamepass is increasing the value of the PC-platform massively. And all the streaming services popping up will surely acquire a few former console players.

If Sony can in this much more competetive environment secure sales for the PS5 similar to the PS4, that would be the best case. So I see a ceiling for PS5 sales in the PS4 sales. Nothing indicates Sony is targeting new markets.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]