By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Absolutely Every PlayStation 5 is Sold, Says PlayStation CEO

That's cool to hear, but without actual numbers this statement doesn't really mean anything.

Around the Network

Great news for Sony

BraLoD said:
I wonder why they don't produce way more than they think it'll sell because it all sells out instantly anyway, lol Well, this year surely was hard to plan due to the pandemic, tho.

It's not like any company can produce 10 million units in a few short months, not only because that's way too much, but even Sony has a limited fund for these kind of stuff.

Plus, the demand is big, but it may not be that big. And last but not least, from a marketing standpoint,  these shortages might be good for the PS5, because it makes people talk about it and gives it an air of desirability, because it's such a hot item, with people seeing it sol,d out everywhere.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

BraLoD said:
I wonder why they don't produce way more than they think it'll sell because it all sells out instantly anyway, lol Well, this year surely was hard to plan due to the pandemic, tho.

They probably produced as much as they could without making it losse much money (like special additions to contract or whatever and having to high production for launch but then production being higher than needed for the next months before holiday 2021).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

drkohler said:
BraLoD said:
I wonder why they don't produce way more ..

There is nothing to wonder about.

Production capacities are limited, particularly into XMas season when China Inc. is fully occupied with manufacturing cheap plastic gadgets.  

As well as many other factors, too. They don't wanna put out TOO many of the first-edition consoles, because as we've seen there are some issues and the fewer people have the issues the better the next runs will be. Everything is calculated. If it was as simple as 'make a billion consoles, let em sell', they would...but way too many people would have broken consoles, or have issues, or too many people would bitch about lack of exclusives at launch (which would be silly but that wouldn't stop some people). 

Everything they do is calculated and most every possible factor is considered. It sucks that there are people out there who can't get a console, but it isn't some conspiracy of 'Sony isn't manufacturing consoles to inflate demand', or something. People are dumb.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Would they still have sold out at $499 and $599 instead? Could they have kept up similar sales at those prices until a drop to $399 and $499 holiday 2021? If so, would they have produced more units for the 2020 holiday launch period overall, considering they would've been profiting off of every unit sold instead of subsidizing?

Runa216 said:
drkohler said:

There is nothing to wonder about.

Production capacities are limited, particularly into XMas season when China Inc. is fully occupied with manufacturing cheap plastic gadgets.  

As well as many other factors, too. They don't wanna put out TOO many of the first-edition consoles, because as we've seen there are some issues and the fewer people have the issues the better the next runs will be. Everything is calculated. If it was as simple as 'make a billion consoles, let em sell', they would...but way too many people would have broken consoles, or have issues, or too many people would bitch about lack of exclusives at launch (which would be silly but that wouldn't stop some people). 

Everything they do is calculated and most every possible factor is considered. It sucks that there are people out there who can't get a console, but it isn't some conspiracy of 'Sony isn't manufacturing consoles to inflate demand', or something. People are dumb.

They would have made as many consoles as the lead in time allowed, so from production ready upto launch, taking into account shipping lag means a reasonable percentage is always in transit.

Another thing to consider is how many lines they are able to run in China and whether or not, PS4's slowing demand means they can use their Japanese site to fulfill most if not all of those orders, https://www.techtimes.com/articles/250866/20200705/japanese-robots-are-produce-playstation-4-console-in-30-seconds.htm#:~:text=Sony's%20manufacturing%20factory%20in%20Japan,key%20facility%20that%20Sony%20keeps.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 22 November 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

i mean, at least we have the numbers for japan already. and the result is.... barely outselling the switch in the same week

TheBraveGallade said:

i mean, at least we have the numbers for japan already. and the result is.... barely outselling the switch in the same week

Yeah, but home consoles aren't very healthy in Japan right now. The rest of the world was probably much higher.

TheBraveGallade said:

Sure the sold out low volume of PS5 in Japan tell the whole story, then Series X bombed, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."