By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Absolutely Every PlayStation 5 is Sold, Says PlayStation CEO

I'm still baffled so many people can't just wait for a console. They know demand during the first months is massive and yet that's the period where there's the least amount of games to play, certainly waiting can't be that hard. Though we are in Christmas, so maybe that's the push...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:

i mean, at least we have the numbers for japan already. and the result is.... barely outselling the switch in the same week

They sold every PS5 they had in Japan so the fact that it sold less then the Switch only indicates that they had less supply then that console, not that there is less demand.

I mean, this is not surprising at all

deerox said:
TheBraveGallade said:

i mean, at least we have the numbers for japan already. and the result is.... barely outselling the switch in the same week

They sold every PS5 they had in Japan so the fact that it sold less then the Switch only indicates that they had less supply then that console, not that there is less demand.

by that token even the switch is sold out.

at any rate... the amount they had stocked being so low shows that they are not prioritizing japan.

TheBraveGallade said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure the sold out low volume of PS5 in Japan tell the whole story, then Series X bombed, right?

I mean series X also sold out, though they barely stocked the thing.

True, but you still decided that PS5 selling that amount was problematic, why?

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

It sold out and close to previous systems, so I wouldn't say it bombed. It done as expected

It was expected that it will be a flop in Japan. Meeting that expectation doesn't absolve it from having bombed.

Considering it have lottery to buy Xbox in Japan you don't really know the demand.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
deerox said:

by that token even the switch is sold out.

at any rate... the amount they had stocked being so low shows that they are not prioritizing japan.

In PS4 they launched in Japan several months after USA and Europe, this time they are launching it together with USA and before Europe so that shows they are giving a lot more priority than before, and unless you have the number for all countries for PS5 and Xbox to see how Sony had to send the consoles to not give Xbox an advantage in those markets you are just speculating based on nothing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Darwinianevolution said:

I'm still baffled so many people can't just wait for a console. They know demand during the first months is massive and yet that's the period where there's the least amount of games to play, certainly waiting can't be that hard. Though we are in Christmas, so maybe that's the push...

Right? and the selective memory. 

1 - Consoles always sell out at launch, even consoles not in demand. (WiiU, Vita, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS3)

2 - A console's launch lineup is never as strong at launch as the prior generation's robust library. (I'm shocked at how many people think PS5's launch is poor)

3 - A console's first year sales are almost entirely determined by availability, not demand.

4 - There are going to be hardware and software bugs. Always. Without exception. PS5 having some issues with hard drives is pretty minor.

So yeah, it's frustrating any time someone tries to push this agenda that PS5's launch is poor, be it for games, hardware, or sales. You just can't determine the overall sales or demand for a console based on Week-1 numbers. That's just foolish all-around. And while this is strictly anecdotal, everywhere I go people are bitching because they can't get a PS5! Everyone I know that plays games is jealous of me having one. Not one person has asked about or whined about Series X. Any time I bring up Series X, I either get 'oh right, that's a thing. What games does it have?' or an outright 'dude, nobody cares about Xbox anymore'. And no, I'm not just making that up to shit on the competition. I actually have friends who are baffled that I even talk about Xbox since nobody's given a shit about them since the 360 days; when I mention how frustrating it is that certain people on this forum are diehard fans and it's annoying how unwilling they are to accept facts, I just get this blank stare followed by...'who the fuck cares? xbox sucks and has for a while. that's not going to change and you're not going to change their mind so why do you care?'

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Right? and the selective memory. 

1 - Consoles always sell out at launch, even consoles not in demand. (WiiU, Vita, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS3)

2 - A console's launch lineup is never as strong at launch as the prior generation's robust library. (I'm shocked at how many people think PS5's launch is poor)

3 - A console's first year sales are almost entirely determined by availability, not demand.

4 - There are going to be hardware and software bugs. Always. Without exception. PS5 having some issues with hard drives is pretty minor.

So yeah, it's frustrating any time someone tries to push this agenda that PS5's launch is poor, be it for games, hardware, or sales. You just can't determine the overall sales or demand for a console based on Week-1 numbers. That's just foolish all-around. And while this is strictly anecdotal, everywhere I go people are bitching because they can't get a PS5! Everyone I know that plays games is jealous of me having one. Not one person has asked about or whined about Series X. Any time I bring up Series X, I either get 'oh right, that's a thing. What games does it have?' or an outright 'dude, nobody cares about Xbox anymore'. And no, I'm not just making that up to shit on the competition. I actually have friends who are baffled that I even talk about Xbox since nobody's given a shit about them since the 360 days; when I mention how frustrating it is that certain people on this forum are diehard fans and it's annoying how unwilling they are to accept facts, I just get this blank stare followed by...'who the fuck cares? xbox sucks and has for a while. that's not going to change and you're not going to change their mind so why do you care?'

That's another thing. Outside of a couple of exceptions (GameBoy with Tetris, XBox with Halo, Switch with BotW...) the launch lineups tend to be very weak, either tech demos or slightly enhanced ports. This reminds me of the early PS4 days, when everyone was complaining that most of the games during its first year were PS3 ports and crossgen releases. And somehow this is not bothering people as much as I expected this time, even if it will probably take even longer to get proper PS5 titles due to the development schedules slowing down due to the pandemic.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

That's another thing. Outside of a couple of exceptions (GameBoy with Tetris, XBox with Halo, Switch with BotW...) the launch lineups tend to be very weak, either tech demos or slightly enhanced ports. This reminds me of the early PS4 days, when everyone was complaining that most of the games during its first year were PS3 ports and crossgen releases. And somehow this is not bothering people as much as I expected this time, even if it will probably take even longer to get proper PS5 titles due to the development schedules slowing down due to the pandemic.

I know, right? And this time around my favourite exclusives on PS5's launch are a remake of a PS3 game and a cross-generational sequel to a Ps4 game. The launch is just that: A launch point. It's not representative of the endpoint. PS4 had a mediocre launch and ended up with one of the strongest libraries ever. Same with PS1 and PS2. PS3 had an absolutely atrocious first 2-3 years and it ended up with a really solid library as well. 

PEople buy consoles at launch as an investment in the future, not for the immediate payoff and value. I wish more people used logic and reason in their discussions.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I know, right? And this time around my favourite exclusives on PS5's launch are a remake of a PS3 game and a cross-generational sequel to a Ps4 game. The launch is just that: A launch point. It's not representative of the endpoint. PS4 had a mediocre launch and ended up with one of the strongest libraries ever. Same with PS1 and PS2. PS3 had an absolutely atrocious first 2-3 years and it ended up with a really solid library as well. 

PEople buy consoles at launch as an investment in the future, not for the immediate payoff and value. I wish more people used logic and reason in their discussions.

Yep. Even "to play a better version of crossgen" and enjoy your nextgen console for longer time are enough reason to buy it close to launch. But sure if you can't afford there isn't much you would be losing anyway.