By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Weekly sales Gen 9 1st week edition =]

UnderwaterFunktown said:
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
So confirmation that neither company prioritized Japan very highly for launch shipments. Not that you can really blame them much since it isn't their strongest market, but a especially for Playstation this a big step down, compared to the PS4 debut at nearly 3 times as much.

Yes, and no

The PS4 launched in February 2014 in Japan, 3 months after the initial worldwide launch --> more units available at launch.

I'm aware of that but it doesn't change the numbers. Sure since they weren't focusing on launching everywhere else at the time it was easier to allocate more stock to Japan, but its not like they couldn't have shipped 300k to Japan this time if they made that a priority. They just decided to focus their initial shipments elsewhere (probably mainly the US).

If we put in perspective, PS4 Japan 1st week would be 0, and would remain 0 for 3 months. So PS5 having over 100k for first week shows a lot more priority was given compared to gen 8.

Considering limited manufacturing capability for launch (because we know the launch numbers would be equivalent to several months of regular months, plus there is holiday) you won't setup your manufacturing capabilities for something that would be higher than the necessary for the months after launch. And even if you stockpile prior to launch, well that is another problem because if Sony instead of let's say 2.5M consoles wanted 5M consoles ready for launch so nowhere would be sold out on launch and started to produce 2 or 3 months earlier to achieve that, it would mean going from 1.25B in inventory to 2.5B and that is a lot of iddle money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
So confirmation that neither company prioritized Japan very highly for launch shipments. Not that you can really blame them much since it isn't their strongest market, but a especially for Playstation this a big step down, compared to the PS4 debut at nearly 3 times as much.

Yes, and no

The PS4 launched in February 2014 in Japan, 3 months after the initial worldwide launch --> more units available at launch.

I'm aware of that but it doesn't change the numbers. Sure since they weren't focusing on launching everywhere else at the time it was easier to allocate more stock to Japan, but its not like they couldn't have shipped 300k to Japan this time if they made that a priority. They just decided to focus their initial shipments elsewhere (probably mainly the US).

That's for my "yes" part.

My "no" part is that is not a huge step down from the PS4", it's a global launch all around the world and the console was sold out within 2 hours worldwide, they sold everything they could potentially produce and sell. So yeah, Japan should've have more units perhaps, but that doesn't say much about the actual trends.

I'm merely talking about the Japan launch week being a big step down, and that it is indeed. I specifically pointed out that all these numbers really told us was that Sony (and MS) were not prioritizing Japan highly for the launch, so I'm not implying that it shows there is less demand for the PS5 in Japan or that it will worse in the long run than the PS4.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

DonFerrari said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yes, and no

If we put in perspective, PS4 Japan 1st week would be 0, and would remain 0 for 3 months. So PS5 having over 100k for first week shows a lot more priority was given compared to gen 8.

Considering limited manufacturing capability for launch (because we know the launch numbers would be equivalent to several months of regular months, plus there is holiday) you won't setup your manufacturing capabilities for something that would be higher than the necessary for the months after launch. And even if you stockpile prior to launch, well that is another problem because if Sony instead of let's say 2.5M consoles wanted 5M consoles ready for launch so nowhere would be sold out on launch and started to produce 2 or 3 months earlier to achieve that, it would mean going from 1.25B in inventory to 2.5B and that is a lot of iddle money.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here exactly. I'll agree that they arguably downprioritized Japan moreso with the PS4 since they straight up delayed the launch back then, but I think the 0 for 3 months thing is a bit of a distorted comparison.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
DonFerrari said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yes, and no

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here exactly. I'll agree that they arguably downprioritized Japan moreso with the PS4 since they straight up delayed the launch back then, but I think the 0 for 3 months thing is a bit of a distorted comparison.

It isn't a distorted comparison. You tried to spin the sales as the sales not being good on the 1st week compared to PS4 and also that Sony is prioritizing Japan less. When my post demonstrated that Sony is prioritizing more and why they don't have as much inventory to set to Japan (they have to supply plenty other countries compared to PS4 that when they launched in Japan it could receive most of the available inventory because other countries were already launched).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Breaking news alert folks! With the first results in CNN can now project that the PS5 will outsell the Xbox Series X and S in Japan. Once again, with first week numbers reporting CNN projects that PS5 will win in Japan over Xbox Series X and S.

Now we go over to John King at the board. John, please explain to our viewers just how Sony was able to pull out this victory in Japan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I would say pretty bad Supply and pretty bad launch numbers. People can slice this anyway they want, these are not great numbers.

Both consoles sold out, so if they had more stock it would be more. Even Xbox would have been higher. I think they're doing lotteries for both systems.

Marth said:
Acevil said:
I would say pretty bad Supply and pretty bad launch numbers. People can slice this anyway they want, these are not great numbers.

Software is the most concerning part.

We all knew hardware would be bad but current software sales paint a dire picture.
Even if you are generous with digital sales.

I agree, namely when 88% favorable to disc versions of the console. 

Marth said:
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
SKMBlake said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yes, and no

That's for my "yes" part.

My "no" part is that is not a huge step down from the PS4", it's a global launch all around the world and the console was sold out within 2 hours worldwide, they sold everything they could potentially produce and sell. So yeah, Japan should've have more units perhaps, but that doesn't say much about the actual trends.

"global"

We all know there is no other countries in the world

Sogreblute said:
Both consoles sold out, so if they had more stock it would be more. Even Xbox would have been higher. I think they're doing lotteries for both systems.

Yep both were, not sure how much demand were for the lottery tickets for Xbox since no one talked over it on the resetera thread, but anedoctal two people were talking about themselves or close relatives and one had 5 and the other 50 tickets and neither got sorted to buy a PS5.

Marth said:
Acevil said:

Software is the most concerning part.

We all knew hardware would be bad but current software sales paint a dire picture.
Even if you are generous with digital sales.

One of the suppositions (and it makes sense) is that to many of these systems were bought by scalpers, so people that didn't secure a console had no reason to buy the SW, also they could have bought the PS4 version and get access to it on 2 systems.