By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Weekly sales Gen 9 1st week edition =]

Lol, at people trying desperately to spin this negatively. Sony is doing a WW launch over the span of two weeks. They have to allocate HW all over. They don't have months to build up supply for Japan like with the PS4. This is more like the PS3 situation, which outsold the PS4 in the end. We just have to see how things play out before we can label this bad.

Around the Network

Like I said in the other thread, there's a good chance that the Switch will outsell the newcomers this week in Japan. I would have expected the PS5 to at least snatch a week from Switch.

Signature goes here!

Damn Sony really gave the finger to Japan. Hopefully shipment numbers go up for the holidays

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Damn Sony really gave the finger to Japan. Hopefully shipment numbers go up for the holidays

I mean, less than they did last gen when they made Japan wait till February. Which is probably why PS5 numbers are so much lower than PS4. PS4 they could allocate more stock for Japan launch cause the rest of the world already had it.

Barkley said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

I mean, less than they did last gen when they made Japan wait till February. Which is probably why PS5 numbers are so much lower than PS4. PS4 they could allocate more stock for Japan launch cause the rest of the world already had it.

The fact the Switch launched WW on the same day and still sold 300K + in Japan shows Sony has less interest in Japan than ever. 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
So it falls upon the expectation we've placed ourselves in. 100K+ for the PS5 was the furthest it could go while I remember predicting around 20K for the Xbox SX which is the highest it'll ever get there but hey, it calls for a small celebration !

Yes, all things considered both done what was expected, limited by allocated supply and only few weeks or even months from release we will be able to really grasp true demand.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PotentHerbs said:
RolStoppable said:
PotentHerbs said:

I don't think its a big deal that the PS5 first week is lower than the PS4 first week when you consider the amount of countries Sony is selling in. The PS5 will continue to expand the market which will make up for declining Japan sales.

Its not like Capcom or Square are abandoning the PS5.

I consider it a big deal. The way Sony handled this, it will be quickly established for all the small and midsized Japanese publishers that returning to PS exclusivity is absolutely not an option, rather they will double down on getting Switch versions out day and date with the PS versions. And in turn the global perception that Switch is the console to play Japanese games on will only grow.

Considering how Capcom, Square Enix, and From Software titles sell in the West, I doubt that. 

For bigger IP that sell most in the west, I could still see Playstation exclusivity deals. But anything that's bound to stay in Japan most probably will be made for the Switch, with a potential PS5 version on the side depending on the game.

Marth said:
PotentHerbs said:
RolStoppable said:
PotentHerbs said:

I don't think its a big deal that the PS5 first week is lower than the PS4 first week when you consider the amount of countries Sony is selling in. The PS5 will continue to expand the market which will make up for declining Japan sales.

Its not like Capcom or Square are abandoning the PS5.

I consider it a big deal. The way Sony handled this, it will be quickly established for all the small and midsized Japanese publishers that returning to PS exclusivity is absolutely not an option, rather they will double down on getting Switch versions out day and date with the PS versions. And in turn the global perception that Switch is the console to play Japanese games on will only grow.

Considering how Capcom, Square Enix, and From Software titles sell in the West, I doubt that. 

Do those publishers fit into the description Rol gave?

Doesn't Sony's global reputation as "the console to play Japanese games" come majorly from Capcom, Square, and From Software? Also, a publisher like Namco Bandai and to an extent Sega, fit into that mold. We even got the supposed collaboration between Konami and Sony for Silent Hill.

As long as these games sell great, I don't see Japanese publishers/developers abandoning the PS5, even with the lack of console sales in Japan

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 18 November 2020

Sony manufactured the shortage to create demand so they’ll sell more =P

Last edited by Jumpin - on 18 November 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
PotentHerbs said:

For bigger IP that sell most in the west, I could still see Playstation exclusivity deals. But anything that's bound to stay in Japan most probably will be made for the Switch, with a potential PS5 version on the side depending on the game.

As long as Sony gets support/exclusivity from the huge publishers in Japan, they can make do without smaller Japanese exclusives, considering their second party relations around the globe more than make up for it.