By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming from Sony

This is really weird. I've been trying to find a review of *new* Xbox games on the *new* Xbox console. Every video on YouTube seems to start "here's the new console, let's see how fast it loads backward compatible old games".

Seriously - it's great you can play retro games on the thing, but people buy new consoles to play new games. That's a big part of the fun of a new gen.

Around the Network

It's quite obvious that cross-gen will be possible only on games the PS5 version of which just uses PS5 additional GPU power (and only for graphics, not as a coprocessor for other things that can't be scaled down like graphics). Games that need PS5 CPU power and RAM size too will be either impossible to run on PS4 too, or difficult to do and requiring major rewrites.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Dude, you are on fire with these threads
This is just from 1 month.

Negative: PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming from Sony
Positive: Microsoft teams up with Dwayne Johnson to give Series X consoles to children's hospitals
Negative: PS5 back compat may not be as complete as I first thought
Positive: Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set
Positive: Series X's rumored heat issues seem to be false
Positive: Microsoft will allow manufacturers other than Seagate to make Xbox expansion cards
Negative: Peter Parker in PS5 remaster seems to have been changed to look more like Tom Holland

Welcome to how gaming have always been, there will always be transition period, first because some titles really benefit from being crossgen and don't demand the power of the next-gen system, second because you can't control the 3rd parties. Sony will make some of their 1st party crossgen but a lot will be PS5 only, what is new? The strange part was when MS said they didn't believe in gen, didn't want people to feel they needed to move on and promised that all their titles would be crossgen for the next couple years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Just hoping this doesn't apply to God of War 2.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

They are only slowing down my purchase of it.Would I have gotten a PS4 at launch hadKillzone shadowfall and Knack, Resogun been on PS3? I highly doubt it. And i bet versions of those game could run on ps3. They just allocated the resources to the PS4 to make the games as good as possible for PS4.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:
They are only slowing down my purchase of it.Would I have gotten a PS4 at launch hadKillzone shadowfall and Knack, Resogun been on PS3? I highly doubt it. And i bet versions of those game could run on ps3. They just allocated the resources to the PS4 to make the games as good as possible for PS4.

Considering the loses in the HW and all, I can understand Sony wanting to move away from PS3 faster than they are wanting to move from PS4. But still we got exclusives to PS3 even after PS4 launched.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Replicant said:

Dude, you are on fire with these threads
This is just from 1 month.

Negative: PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming from Sony
Positive: Microsoft teams up with Dwayne Johnson to give Series X consoles to children's hospitals
Negative: PS5 back compat may not be as complete as I first thought
Positive: Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set
Positive: Series X's rumored heat issues seem to be false
Positive: Microsoft will allow manufacturers other than Seagate to make Xbox expansion cards
Negative: Peter Parker in PS5 remaster seems to have been changed to look more like Tom Holland

Damn what did Sony ever do to him? It almost feels like he/she is paid by MS. He/She is like some PR king.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

i knew they should have went another 2 or 3 years before a new console.

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:
Damn Microsoft, when will they learn thats not a good idea.. oh wait.

Wait... Are people pretending it’s the first gen this is a thing?

Apparently they did then Microsoft announced they were doing this. But this is normal. It happened over time again and again. It is no surprise, the new installbase starts small and game projects often develop for years. So cross-gen games isn't all that surprising - yet each generation people act surprised. Microsoft was first to announce this at this gen, so they got a bigger amount of backlash. Announcing first is bad for some things.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]