By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming from Sony

KratosLives said:
i knew they should have went another 2 or 3 years before a new console.

I don't think so. Cross-gen games are a pro consumer move. Let's stop the bullshitting. I know fans are fast to claim this or that only works on a new gen. But reality is, that nearly everything is scalable. So the decision to release on one platform and not another is a decision purely informed by market pressure. Cross-gen games and multiplats are good for gamers, as it leaves them the choice. For instance over $60-games or $70-games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

PS4 sales have dropped tremendously and SW sales is nearing peak, so it was the time for a new console, besides giving MS 2 or 3 years of only next gen console would be to much.

Mnementh said:
Hynad said:
Azzanation said:
Damn Microsoft, when will they learn thats not a good idea.. oh wait.

Wait... Are people pretending it’s the first gen this is a thing?

Apparently they did then Microsoft announced they were doing this. But this is normal. It happened over time again and again. It is no surprise, the new installbase starts small and game projects often develop for years. So cross-gen games isn't all that surprising - yet each generation people act surprised. Microsoft was first to announce this at this gen, so they got a bigger amount of backlash. Announcing first is bad for some things.

Problem was more on MS saying they didn't want people to feel a need to next gen and that all their games on the next couple years would be crossgen. It didn't help that they then said it wouldn't hold back games at all and then show Halo Infinite.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
KratosLives said:

PS4 sales have dropped tremendously and SW sales is nearing peak, so it was the time for a new console, besides giving MS 2 or 3 years of only next gen console would be to much.

Mnementh said:
Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Apparently they did then Microsoft announced they were doing this. But this is normal. It happened over time again and again. It is no surprise, the new installbase starts small and game projects often develop for years. So cross-gen games isn't all that surprising - yet each generation people act surprised. Microsoft was first to announce this at this gen, so they got a bigger amount of backlash. Announcing first is bad for some things.

Problem was more on MS saying they didn't want people to feel a need to next gen and that all their games on the next couple years would be crossgen. It didn't help that they then said it wouldn't hold back games at all and then show Halo Infinite.

Halo Infinite needed more time in the oven. Also nothing new. Oftentimes launch games are rushed, because they aren't released when ready, but at the launch of the hardware.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wouldn't be surprised if they started to mandate that all their first party games should be cross gen for the next few years, the competition is weak for the foreseeable future which gives SONY a bigger room to maximize profits until the competition catches up with their software output.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:
KratosLives said:

Mnementh said:
Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Halo Infinite needed more time in the oven. Also nothing new. Oftentimes launch games are rushed, because they aren't released when ready, but at the launch of the hardware.

Totally agree, just saying why I think MS got a lot more complain over the crossgen subject.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Switch PS5 is just a machine for porting games.

I hope so. I would like Demons Souls remake and God Of War Ragnarok on the PS4.

If this is for third-party games, fine. That's to be expected. If it's for first-party games, it's really stupid. Why limit your exclusive titles by making them compatible on a last-gen machine? I get having some games at the start have cross-gen compatibility. But if we get 1-2 first-party titles each year from 2021-2023, that's dumb. We know Ratchet & Clank and God of War will be PS5-only (and probably Gran Turismo). That's how it should be.I'm not getting a PS5 until 2022 or 2023 anyway.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Right now from what I'm seeing Sony is making their more popular IP cross gen and having the rest exclusive to PS5. If this holds true then God of War will also be cross gen.

This will be perfect. If GoW2 (among other games) is cross gen, then ill just wait for ps5 slim. No rush to replace my ps4