By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Still no guesses for this one.

-The End of the World is a literal wall splitting a continent in half

-Originally a Saturn exclusive title released only in Japan

-Was then later ported to the PS1, and that version got a western release as well

-The game was also ported to the Nintendo Switch just last year, alongside its sequel.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:

-Was then later ported to the PS1, and that version got a western release as well

-The game was also ported to the Nintendo Switch just last year, alongside its sequel.

I don't know the details, but it is clear this is a JRPG, so I just say it is Grandia, of which I know it was on Sega-systems.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Adding to each of the hints:

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops, whilst fighting alongside and against other mythical characters. In the expansion, you can play as Atlantis. Earlier games in this 'series' were based on history, but this is based on mythology instead.

25) The newest game from the Swedish developer now widely considered the masters of grand strategy, this game is the third in its series. The first didn't get much traction but the second is a cult classic that has received a huge amount of post-launch support and has a popular Game of Thrones mod.

24) This series finally abandons its attempts to tie together an overarching plot in favour of telling a really cool story about a warrior in ancient Greece and his quest for revenge. Over the course of the story the hero takes down a cult and intervenes in no particularly helpful way in a civil war.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops, whilst fighting alongside and against other mythical characters. In the expansion, you can play as Atlantis. Earlier games in this 'series' were based on history, but this is based on mythology instead.

25) The newest game from the Swedish developer now widely considered the masters of grand strategy, this game is the third in its series. The first didn't get much traction but the second is a cult classic that has received a huge amount of post-launch support and has a popular Game of Thrones mod.

24) This series finally abandons its attempts to tie together an overarching plot in favour of telling a really cool story about a warrior in ancient Greece and his quest for revenge. Over the course of the story the hero takes down a cult and intervenes in no particularly helpful way in a civil war.

30) Age of Mythology?

24) Haven't played all the games in the series but might as well give it a shot: God of War: Ascension?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Kantor said:

Ooh! I already meant to guess #30 because I already knew, but I forgot.

30 is Age of Mythology.

25, I feel is maybe Crusader Kings III? Without looking up anything about a GoT mod.

I feel like I should know 24 as well, but I can’t really come up with anything. Maybe later.

EDIT: D**mnit! Why did I forget to reply before?

Around the Network
Kantor said:

#24: I wanted to say before that sounds like AssCreed Odyssey. With the added hint it does even more. I don't know if Origins already ditched all the Templar stuff or Odyssey, but I at least didn'tsaw a much connections to that. So yeah, I think you mean Odyssey.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Since my last hints didn't lead to any correct guesses (and not for a lack of trying), I'll add an extra layer. Last chance for 27 and 26.

27) A couple of years back I would have expected a sequel to this game to have been announced by now, but it seems another sequel from the same developer is happening first.

Hint 2: That "other sequel" has consistently been my top pick in the "Most wanted (insert month)" threads.

Hint 3: The developer in question is Nintendo and the game is a Switch exclusive

26) "Where is _________ 2?" is something many fans were asking this year (_________ being the name of this game).

Hint 2: _________ 2 released over a decade ago

Hint 3: The game in quesiton was of the most critically acclaimed of the 7th gen

25) Deadly rabbit puns

Hint 2: After this, kindness will go unrewarded

24) The subtitle "Attack of the Clones" would also fit this second entry

Hint 2: This game had a very short development time. Unhealthily so.

23) This game has the name of the console it was released for in the title

Hint 2: I've said by now that it isn't a Wii game, but I never said that it didn't have "Wii" in the title

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Mnementh said:
Darashiva said:

I don't know the details, but it is clear this is a JRPG, so I just say it is Grandia, of which I know it was on Sega-systems.

Correct.

#28StarCraft/Brood War
guessed byUnderwaterFunktown
platformWindows
release year1998
developer/publisherBlizzard Entertainment
genrereal time strategy
linksWikipedia
download for free
past years2019: #25, 2018: #25, 2017: #25

Starcraft is a historic game. It mixed the formula for real time strategy in a way, which was wildly successful. It was also the game, that spawned e-Sport leagues starting in Korea. It was a mainstay in LAN-parties for more than a decade. The included map editor created a lively online community sharing new creations. Blizzard supported that by releasing the Map of the Month for a long time. Among the user creations were maps that started the Tower Defense genre. Blizzard introduced the expansion Brood War, which added a lot of content and kept the game alive for even longer. I think it is fair to say, that the gaming world today would look different without StarCraft.

This game was a lot of fun to play. At college a group of friends often met to play StarCraft matches locally in the LAN. And without them I played the single player campaign. Which was doubled by Brood War.

The game has a sci-fi setting with three warring civilizations, humans and the alien races of Zerg and Protoss. Each faction has their own research tree, own units and specialties. Again, reasearch and unit types were extended by the excellent Brood War expansion.

By the way, it is unintentional that now for the third year StarCraft ranks #25. I make the lists new each time, and other games jumped around quite a bit. So it is kinda funny StarCraft is stuck exactly in the middle of my list.

If you want to play it today, you can download the original game (well, with a lot of patches that came over the years) for free from Blizzard, or you can purchase the remastered version. Either way, it is a great classic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00uQzXyujI

I'm falling behind, so I drop a batch of hints at once:

#27: Resident Evil: Revelations guessed by S.Peelman

The king is consumed by the rot.

"Хорошо! Я буду работать на тeбя, проклятый капиталист!"

Silver haired maiden.

#23: Return to Zork guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
Return to this magical place, this time with graphics.

Elirium 115, the first game.

What caused the hollowborn?

Last edited by Mnementh - on 07 December 2020