By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Mar1217 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Nope

Wii Music 

Kidding aside, I think this is between Wii Sports Resort or New Super Mario Bros Wii.

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Nope

If Mar1217 goes with those, I’ll go with Mario Kart Wii.

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hint time:

27) A couple of years back I would have expected a sequel to this game to have been announced by now, but it seems another sequel from the same developer is happening first.

Hint 2: That "other sequel" has consistently been my top pick in the "Most wanted (insert month)" threads.

26) "Where is _________ 2?" is something many fans were asking this year (_________ being the name of this game).

Hint 2: _________ 2 released over a decade ago

25) Deadly rabbit puns

24) The subtitle "Attack of the Clones" would also fit this second entry

23) This game has the name of the console it was released for in the title

#27: Mario Kart 8

#25: Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle

#23: Advance Wars

All wrong guys. I'll specify at this point that 23 isn't a Wii game.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

20 - This finale to a trilogy is known primarily for its fanservice and callbacks to previous entries in the franchise.
21 - Duane and Brando did a song about this game and it's an absolute banger. Also their most popular song on youtube.
22 - This 8th entry in the series vastly changed the look and feel of the franchise, with a system in place that was remarkably easy to abuse if you understood it.
23 - This 9th entry in the series went back to its roots and included dozens of fanservice tributes to the past; is also the highest rated according to Metacritic.
24 - This platforming action shooter RPG's title is yet another glorious and hilarious reference to asses and time travel.

25 - In a franchise that tends to build upon the past, this one started from scratch with 150 new entries.
- This is the fifth entry in the series
26 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
27 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
28 - One mechanic everyone hates, but it triggers something primal in you. If you hear this noise, you HAVE to rescue them.
- This is a sequel that features a side character from the previous game.
29 - God of War (PS4)
30 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
31 - Dark Souls
32 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
33 - Donkey Kong Country
34 - This fourth entry has within it almost all of the content from the first three entries in the series, if you exported it.
- All in all, there are over 2,400 pieces of DLC for this game, but it's not as nickel-and-dime as you might think.
35 - Demon's Souls
36 - Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
37 - Terraria
38 - New Super Mario Bros U
39 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
40 - Minecraft
41 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
43 - The Messenger
44 - Axiom Verge
45 - Mario Kart 8
46 - Portal 2
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
48 - Resident Evil 4
49 - Guitar Hero II
50 - Portal

23) Final Fantasy IX?

22) Final Fantasy VIII?

20) Dark Souls III?

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Runa216 said:

20 - This finale to a trilogy is known primarily for its fanservice and callbacks to previous entries in the franchise.
21 - Duane and Brando did a song about this game and it's an absolute banger. Also their most popular song on youtube.
22 - This 8th entry in the series vastly changed the look and feel of the franchise, with a system in place that was remarkably easy to abuse if you understood it.
23 - This 9th entry in the series went back to its roots and included dozens of fanservice tributes to the past; is also the highest rated according to Metacritic.
24 - This platforming action shooter RPG's title is yet another glorious and hilarious reference to asses and time travel.

25 - In a franchise that tends to build upon the past, this one started from scratch with 150 new entries.
- This is the fifth entry in the series
26 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
28 - One mechanic everyone hates, but it triggers something primal in you. If you hear this noise, you HAVE to rescue them.
- This is a sequel that features a side character from the previous game.
29 - God of War (PS4)
31 - Dark Souls
33 - Donkey Kong Country
34 - This fourth entry has within it almost all of the content from the first three entries in the series, if you exported it.
- All in all, there are over 2,400 pieces of DLC for this game, but it's not as nickel-and-dime as you might think.
35 - Demon's Souls
37 - Terraria
40 - Minecraft
41 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
43 - The Messenger
44 - Axiom Verge
45 - Mario Kart 8
46 - Portal 2
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
48 - Resident Evil 4
49 - Guitar Hero II
50 - Portal

23) Final Fantasy IX?

22) Final Fantasy VIII?

20) Dark Souls III?

23 - Yeppers! 

22 - Also yep! (I honestly don't know what one I prefer, 8 or 9, that's why they're right next to each other)

20 - My favouite in the franchise, too! Also yep! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

S.Peelman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

25. a) This MMO from a well known franchise managed to pass Everquest in total number of subscribers.  Of course, about a year after the game's North American launch World of Warcraft was released and completely dwarfed it in popularity.
b) Originally, combat in this game revolved around parties performing skillchains together.  After the success of WoW, this game changed a lot of it's mechanics and skillchains became less important.
c) Races in this game include Elvaan, Mithra, Galka, Tarutaru, and Hume.
d) Some fans of this well known series were upset that this game had a number in the title, because every previous entry was a single player game.

Haven’t played it, but I think I know it now; Final Fantasy XI

Correct!

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hint time:

27) A couple of years back I would have expected a sequel to this game to have been announced by now, but it seems another sequel from the same developer is happening first.

Hint 2: That "other sequel" has consistently been my top pick in the "Most wanted (insert month)" threads.

26) "Where is _________ 2?" is something many fans were asking this year (_________ being the name of this game).

Hint 2: _________ 2 released over a decade ago

25) Deadly rabbit puns

24) The subtitle "Attack of the Clones" would also fit this second entry

23) This game has the name of the console it was released for in the title

27. Witcher 3?
26. Spider-Man?

24. Bioshock?
23. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance?

24.  a) In this 80's arcade game you can shoot monsters or drop apples on them.
b) This is the first of several arcade games developed by Universal using this same character.  You dig through dirt like Dig Dug, but you drop apples on the enemies instead of rocks.
c) The first successor to this game was Mr. Do's Castle.
d) I'm giving people one last chance to guess this game before I give up.  If you can't get it from the clues above, then you probably never will.  (It's not really a well known game though.)

22. The developers had to make your character notably smaller for this game, since this console version didn't have the technical capabilities of the original arcade entry.

21. The scariest moment I've ever had gaming was with this sci-fi game.  I didn't know how to kill the title creature, and so I just had to run away and be chased by them while I headed to the final boss.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

b) This is the first of several arcade games developed by Universal using this same character.  You dig through dirt like Dig Dug, but you drop apples on the enemies instead of rocks.
d) I'm giving people one last chance to guess this game before I give up.  If you can't get it from the clues above, then you probably never will.  (It's not really a well known game though.)

22. The developers had to make your character notably smaller for this game, since this console version didn't have the technical capabilities of the original arcade entry.

21. The scariest moment I've ever had gaming was with this sci-fi game.  I didn't know how to kill the title creature, and so I just had to run away and be chased by them while I headed to the final boss.

#22: Little Mac, I mean Punchout, the console version.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mar1217 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:

If Mar1217 goes with those, I’ll go with Mario Kart Wii.

All wrong guys. I'll specify at this point that 23 isn't a Wii game.

Oooh, it's a N64 game then ... Super Mario 64 DS 

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

Ehh no, but points for picking a title based on two consoles. But for the record it's not one of the many "64" games either, it has the full name of the console in there.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

21) Metroid maybe?

01 - Final Fantasy VI
02 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
03 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
04 - Bloodborne
05 - Mega Man X
06 - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
07 - Final Fantasy VII
08 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
09 - Super Mario World
10 - Final Fantasy XII
11 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
12 - Final Fantasy X
13 - Super Mario Bros. 3
14 - Rock Band 2
15 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
16 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
17 - Mega Man X2
18 - Mega Man X3
19 - Red Dead Redemption II
20 - Dark Souls III
21 - Mega Man 2
22 - Final Fantasy VIII
23 - Final Fantasy IX
24 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
25 - Pokemon Black/White
26 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
28 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
29 - God of War (2018)
31 - Dark Souls
33 - Donkey Kong Country
34 - Rock Band 4
35 - Demon's Souls
37 - Terraria
40 - Minecraft
41 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
43 - The Messenger
44 - Axiom Verge
45 - Mario Kart 8
46 - Portal 2
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
48 - Resident Evil 4
49 - Guitar Hero II
50 - Portal

Here ya go, guys. I'm out.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#22: Little Mac, I mean Punchout, the console version.

Correct!

UnderwaterFunktown said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

21) Metroid maybe?

Correct!