By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Mar1217 said:

26) Features the "last" vestige of humanity on an alien planet. Puns about eating one your party members and hilarity ensues.

25) Sequel to the most heavy story focused game in a franchise which follows people catching monsters

24) Upon it's release, people wished FFVI would receive a remake that uses the exact same artstyle as the game in question.

23) 3rd title in a series which debuted on Gameboy Advance in Japan but only saw a release in NA/EU when they ported the whole trilogy on the DS.

#26: Xenoblade Chronicles X

#25: Pokemon Black&White 2

#24: Octopath Traveler

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Since my last hints didn't lead to any correct guesses (and not for a lack of trying), I'll add an extra layer. Last chance for 27 and 26.

27) A couple of years back I would have expected a sequel to this game to have been announced by now, but it seems another sequel from the same developer is happening first.

Hint 2: That "other sequel" has consistently been my top pick in the "Most wanted (insert month)" threads.

Hint 3: The developer in question is Nintendo and the game is a Switch exclusive

26) "Where is _________ 2?" is something many fans were asking this year (_________ being the name of this game).

Hint 2: _________ 2 released over a decade ago

Hint 3: The game in quesiton was of the most critically acclaimed of the 7th gen

25) Deadly rabbit puns

Hint 2: After this, kindness will go unrewarded

24) The subtitle "Attack of the Clones" would also fit this second entry

Hint 2: This game had a very short development time. Unhealthily so.

23) This game has the name of the console it was released for in the title

Hint 2: I've said by now that it isn't a Wii game, but I never said that it didn't have "Wii" in the title

27) Metroid Prime 3 !

23) Super Smash Bros WiiU ... 

23 is right indeed.

27 has already been guessed and... It's the game I'm looking for here that's a Switch exclusive.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Okami (PS2, PS4)

Change YOY: -7

The game with the biggest drop compared to the previous year's list, alongside with another game coming up later, was Okami. Not because I don't still think it's an excellent game. It wouldn't be on the list if I didn't, but after replaying the game for the first time in something like ten years earlier this year, I did come out of it thinking that it's not quite as good as I previously thought.

Most aspects of the game are still wonderful. The visuals, music, story, characters, the world itself, the celestial brush, all great. On the other hand, the battle system, especially against most common enemies, gets quite tedious after a while, though the boss battles are still fun as there are clever puzzle elements within all of them. Overall, Okami is still a great game, just one that had more minor shortcomings than I remembered from my first playthrough.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Change YOY: -3

The highest ranking NES game on my list, as well as the highest ranking Mario game. It's just impressive to me how a game from over 30 years ago still holds up to the extent that it remains among the best 2D platformers ever made. Nintendo basically got the genre right decades ago, something that many developers are still struggling with today.

The gameplay and stage design here are essentially perfect. There's nothing missing and nothing that doesn't need to be there, and that's all you need in an old-school Mario game. Everything else is just added flavour on top. The music is iconic, the visuals perfect for what they need to be, and the story really just doesn't matter. 

Mnementh said:

I'm falling behind, so I drop a batch of hints at once:

#27: Resident Evil: Revelations guessed by S.Peelman

The king is consumed by the rot.

"Хорошо! Я буду работать на тeбя, проклятый капиталист!"

Silver haired maiden.

Return to this magical place, this time with graphics.

Elirium 115, the first game.

What caused the hollowborn?

23) I really hope that's Return to Zork

21) Hollow Knight?

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Mnementh said:

"Хорошо! Я буду работать на Ñ‚eбя, проклятый капиталист!"

Silver haired maiden.

23) I really hope that's Return to Zork

21) Hollow Knight?

Don't know why the quoting destroys the cyrillic characters, sorry for that.

#23: Your hope is fulfilled, it is Return to Zork, as I think this is a great graphics adventure, even though the roots of the series are text adventures.

#21: Nope.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Kantor said:

Adding to each of the hints:

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops, whilst fighting alongside and against other mythical characters. In the expansion, you can play as Atlantis. Earlier games in this 'series' were based on history, but this is based on mythology instead.

25) The newest game from the Swedish developer now widely considered the masters of grand strategy, this game is the third in its series. The first didn't get much traction but the second is a cult classic that has received a huge amount of post-launch support and has a popular Game of Thrones mod.

24) This series finally abandons its attempts to tie together an overarching plot in favour of telling a really cool story about a warrior in ancient Greece and his quest for revenge. Over the course of the story the hero takes down a cult and intervenes in no particularly helpful way in a civil war.

30) Age of Mythology?

24) Haven't played all the games in the series but might as well give it a shot: God of War: Ascension?

30) Correct

24) Nobody on earth would put Ascension in a top 50

S.Peelman said:
Kantor said:

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops, whilst fighting alongside and against other mythical characters. In the expansion, you can play as Atlantis. Earlier games in this 'series' were based on history, but this is based on mythology instead.

25) The newest game from the Swedish developer now widely considered the masters of grand strategy, this game is the third in its series. The first didn't get much traction but the second is a cult classic that has received a huge amount of post-launch support and has a popular Game of Thrones mod.

24) This series finally abandons its attempts to tie together an overarching plot in favour of telling a really cool story about a warrior in ancient Greece and his quest for revenge. Over the course of the story the hero takes down a cult and intervenes in no particularly helpful way in a civil war.

Ooh! I already meant to guess #30 because I already knew, but I forgot.

30 is Age of Mythology.

25, I feel is maybe Crusader Kings III? Without looking up anything about a GoT mod.

I feel like I should know 24 as well, but I can’t really come up with anything. Maybe later.

EDIT: D**mnit! Why did I forget to reply before?

25) Correct

Mnementh said:
Kantor said:

#24: I wanted to say before that sounds like AssCreed Odyssey. With the added hint it does even more. I don't know if Origins already ditched all the Templar stuff or Odyssey, but I at least didn'tsaw a much connections to that. So yeah, I think you mean Odyssey.

24) Correct - Ancient Greece should really give it away.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Since my last hints didn't lead to any correct guesses (and not for a lack of trying), I'll add an extra layer. Last chance for 27 and 26.

27) A couple of years back I would have expected a sequel to this game to have been announced by now, but it seems another sequel from the same developer is happening first.

Hint 2: That "other sequel" has consistently been my top pick in the "Most wanted (insert month)" threads.

Hint 3: The developer in question is Nintendo and the game is a Switch exclusive

26) "Where is _________ 2?" is something many fans were asking this year (_________ being the name of this game).

Hint 3: The game in quesiton was of the most critically acclaimed of the 7th gen

25) Deadly rabbit puns

Hint 2: I've said by now that it isn't a Wii game, but I never said that it didn't have "Wii" in the title

27. Super Mario Odyssey
26. Bioshock

Mar1217 said:

26) Features the "last" vestige of humanity on an alien planet. Puns about eating one your party members and hilarity ensues.

25) Sequel to the most heavy story focused game in a franchise which follows people catching monsters

24) Upon it's release, people wished FFVI would receive a remake that uses the exact same artstyle as the game in question.

23) 3rd title in a series which debuted on Gameboy Advance in Japan but only saw a release in NA/EU when they ported the whole trilogy on the DS.

25. Pokemon Sword/Shield
24. Octopath Traveler

Mnementh said:

"Хорошо! Я буду работать на тeбя, проклятый капиталист!"

Silver haired maiden.

#23: Return to Zork guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

21. Demon's Souls

Kantor said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

30) Age of Mythology?

24) Haven't played all the games in the series but might as well give it a shot: God of War: Ascension?

30) Correct

24) Nobody on earth would put Ascension in a top 50

S.Peelman said:

Ooh! I already meant to guess #30 because I already knew, but I forgot.

30 is Age of Mythology.

25, I feel is maybe Crusader Kings III? Without looking up anything about a GoT mod.

I feel like I should know 24 as well, but I can’t really come up with anything. Maybe later.

EDIT: D**mnit! Why did I forget to reply before?

25) Correct

Mnementh said:

#24: I wanted to say before that sounds like AssCreed Odyssey. With the added hint it does even more. I don't know if Origins already ditched all the Templar stuff or Odyssey, but I at least didn'tsaw a much connections to that. So yeah, I think you mean Odyssey.

24) Correct - Ancient Greece should really give it away.

Wait how can 24 be AC Odyssey when you said "right series, wrong game" after LiquidLaser guessed God of War? What treachery! Or well... Probably just a mix-up.

And Ascension might not be popular, but when the host has Star Fox Zero in his top 50, anything is possible.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

25) Deadly rabbit puns

27. Super Mario Odyssey
26. Bioshock

Odyssey is right on the money.

BioShock isn't it, but you got the right release year.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

"Хорошо! Я буду работать на Ñ‚eбя, проклятый капиталист!"

Silver haired maiden.

#23: Return to Zork guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

21. Demon's Souls

nope