By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

TruckOSaurus said:

26 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

29 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

26 - Yep! 

29 - Nope! (That's on my list but we won't be seeing it for a while)

Kantor said:

25 - Pokemon Red/Blue?

27 - Sekiro?

25 - Nope! (I see where you're coming from since I worded it improperly...what's the next time they had 150 new entries?)

27 - Yep! 

UnderwaterFunktown said:

29) God of War 2018?

29 - Yep! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

25 - In a franchise that tends to build upon the past, this one started from scratch with 150 new entries.
26 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
27 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
28 - One mechanic everyone hates, but it triggers something primal in you. If you hear this noise, you HAVE to rescue them.
29 - God of War (PS4)
30 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
31 - Dark Souls
32 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
33 - Donkey Kong Country
34 - This fourth entry has within it almost all of the content from the first three entries in the series, if you exported it.
35 - Demon's Souls
36 - Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
37 - Terraria
38 - New Super Mario Bros U
39 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
40 - Minecraft
41 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
43 - The Messenger
44 - Axiom Verge
45 - Mario Kart 8
46 - Portal 2
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
48 - Resident Evil 4
49 - Guitar Hero II
50 - Portal

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Binge time

#47 - Chrono Trigger - SNES

You are standing in a cliff, a fight between a frog and a wizard, as the wind howls, you prepare for a climatic duel, honestly adding anything else like an animated cutscene would rob how much cinematic perfection that sequence manages to achieve, and holds up to this day, I would know, just played the game this year.

A very straightforward and simple RPG but it excels in that simplicity, just about every set piece counts towards the main story, feeling like there is no real padding to it, even the few sidequests that exist in the game fill that purpose, now technically speaking there is no "grinding", but that is mostly down to the fact that every area has a very big amount of encounters, so you don't spend much time outside the main story fighting stuff, because you already fight an almost excessive amount through the story, should one decide to not skip any of the set fights.

Good game.

#46 - Iconoclasts - NS

Honestly one of gaming's best stories, accompanied by a serviceable gameplay loop in a Metroid style world, with awesome bosses and set pieces to hold it together, with a tinge of style that reminds me a lot of Treasure's best games.

Cool game.

#45 - Viewtiful Joe 2 - GC

If there is a Kamiya sequel that doesn't feel like there is any downside to it in terms of feeling as epic or most importantly, living up to the previous final boss, is Viewtiful Joe 2, is cleans up and adds some more bits to the VJ formula and still delivers a lot of creativity and cool set pieces, some arguably better than the original game.

Viewtiful game.

#44 - Garou Mark of the Wolves - NS/PC

Don't think I have much to add from last year to these games, tho Garou with rollback netcode is pretty cool now on PC.

#43 - The King of Fighters XIII - X360/PC

SNK baby.

#42 - Panel de Pon - SNES

I'm not too big on puzzle games, but if there is one I'll never get tired of is Panel de Pon, something that is infinitely replayable thanks to the Tetris style gameplay, just designed more around combos on the fly, and a very big competitive side, be it with friends or against the CPU on a high level, is a comfort game that I can pick up anytime and have the same amount of fun as I did back when I played the Pokemon version on the N64.

#41 - Yakuza 0 - PC

L E G E N D A R Y

#40 - Ghost Trick - DS

Another of those, best stories in videogames game, coupled with a very original gameplay system of item possession for puzzle solving, one of those I had to pull an all nighter by the end of it all because of how intriguing it was.

Now 3 third games.

#39 - Pikmin 3 - Wii U

#38 - Luigi's Mansion 3 - NS

I could talk about these two games on a similar level, what I love the most about both titles is that they feel like a culmination of the better ideas from their first two games.

Pikmin 3 has a much improved Pikmin AI, for the most part great level design, brings back the time management of the first game, even if it is on the easier side compared to the more tight time limit of the first game, and expands upon the multiple captains mechanics from 2. It was a joy to play.

Luigi's Mansion 3 doesn't just stands as the best LM game, but also one of the most charming videogames ever made, every cutscene, character, animations oozes personality, bringing back the unique ghosts bosses from the first game, with a less sequential design, while keeping the amazing puzzle design of 2, brings about everything I wanted out of a Luigi's Mansion game.

#37 - Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland - PS3/NS

I think what puts Meruru above the previous 2 Arland games for me, is mostly how well done the idea of building up your kingdom works in the game, while the visual aspect isn't going to be anything grandiose, what it achieves through gameplay is more than enough, such as getting better materials the more you develop the kingdom around you in earlier areas, making them feel useful even in the late game, getting more efficient shortcuts and the like, it keeps the simple and effective alchemy system from the previous games and the ever entertaining time limit, it makes for the more polished and in some ways, the more ambitious Arland title, and my favorite one.

What my sight can see is still one of the best overworld themes ever made.

Pokemans.

#36 - Pokemon Black Version - DS

For the longest time my favorite Pokemon game, had a pretty good story to tell (main villain aside), had some great set pieces that stick with me even today, going through the Victory Road gate, as every badge started to add to the music until its triumphant full score blasted through at the final gate, N's bridge, a short sequence that has one of the best music tracks in the series, getting a gym leader down to its last Pokemon for the first time, and a truly new region in terms of getting an entire Pokedex worth of new creatures to discover, still fantastic.

#35 - Pokemon Sword - NS

The latest entry may be lacking in some areas that matter to me, handful of routes, towns and the like being too small in terms of traversal, could have done with more meat in them, a lackluster Wild Area much like a lot of JRPGs open areas, a story that feels rushed in its climax, among other things.

And yet, despite having some lows, the highs it reaches are the highest of the franchise for me, it brought me back to that Gen 5 and gave me moments that I'm sure to never forget. Thanks in part that I didn't get spoiled by the leaks running around before release. Going through the Slumbering Weald for the first time, both in atmosphere and music one of the best areas to grace a Pokemon game, the theme being hauntingly beautiful by itself. On the whole the score elevates just about every moment, best soundtrack in the franchise by a good margin. Fighting Piers for the first time, the legendary fights, the gym fights, without going into much detail, is a journey that stuck with me and made me feel like a kid again in a lot of points.

Gym fights for the first time feel like an event, through its sport backdrop, people across the region are following your journey as you rise to the top, becoming a champion is not secluded, but rather a match in a giant stadium, it gives more weight to it all, is the first time it lives up to the Pokemon League name.

There are a lot of fantastic ideas across the characters of the game, such as Leon being a parallel to the player, the themes of passing the torch, among others, a lot of simple ideas but that I felt were well executed, leaving about a positive message.

The new set of Pokemon are probably my favorite ones too, don't think there is any design I didn't liked and it brought what are now some of my favorite Pokemon on the whole.

The DLC also gives me hope for the future, the main Wild Area of the game is lackluster, but the Crown Tundra and the Isle of Armor showcase how well they create an open area that doesn't have to be super huge to deliver a good sense of discovery and adventure.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Hello!

Been a while, but don't worry, I'm still alive! Gonna post a couple hints real quick then check up on what's been going on with the thread (and VGC) a bit later.

#30 - I've referenced this game in the OP of one of these threads.
Hint 2 - It wasn't exactly a subtle reference. Shouldn't take long to find clicking through the links to the past.
Hint 3 - I've just referenced the game again in this post.

#27 - This remake introduced new abilities whose name features 4 vowels out of 5 letters. They were pretty forgettable abilities, to be honest.

30) Portal

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

mZuzek said:

I'm still alive!

#30 - I've referenced this game in the OP of one of these threads.
Hint 2 - It wasn't exactly a subtle reference. Shouldn't take long to find clicking through the links to the past.
Hint 3 - I've just referenced the game again in this post.

#27 - This remake introduced new abilities whose name features 4 vowels out of 5 letters. They were pretty forgettable abilities, to be honest.

I feel like I'm guessing too many of yours...

30. (This was a triumph, I'm making a note here: Huge success)

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
Darashiva said:

-Solve murders on TV after many rainy nights

-A kingdom of bugs

-A new class enrolls in a military academy

24. Persona 4

22. Hollow Knight?

21. Three Houses?

Correct on 24 and 22, not on 21.

#30 Attack of the Friday Monsters!
guessed by Jpcc86
platform 3DS
release year 2013
developer/publisher Millenium Kitchen/Aquria/Level-5
genre adventure
links Wikipedia
past years 2019: #29, 2018: #41, 2017: #39

This game is such a charming little adventure. An entertaining and moving little story about kids in a small part of the town, where the TV-studio produces a monsters show. So every friday a giant monster attacks and the Earth Defense Force repels the attack. The main protagonist Sohta has moved recently with his parents to this part of town, so he experiences this the first time. The kids believe the monsters are real (and maybe they are). So everything smoke and mirrors? There are quite a few surprises hidden here.

The game was part of the guild series. These guild games were small downloadable titles published by Level-5 in cooperation with kinda prominent japanese game designers. The idea was to give them a bit of room to explore ideas they usually can't follow. The other guild games are good too, but I love Attack of the Friday Monsters!

The gameplay consists mostly of simple puzzles to progress the story. The really great part is, how you can see the world through the kids eyes and how they interpret everything. There is also a minigame with collectible cards. The kids play it to have a ranking, and you can cast spells on other kids that rank below you.

The game is short, but it feels so good and freeing just seeing things from kids eyes and everything is much simpler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLUj6G9AyNE

Last edited by Mnementh - on 05 December 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Second set of hints for these games:

-The origin story of the dragon and the mad dog

-You get to run a real estate business, and a cabaret club

-The End of the World is a literal wall splitting a continent in half

-Originally a Saturn exclusive title released only in Japan

-A new class enrolls in a military academy

-First in a series of four games, set after the events of another trilogy of games within the same story continuity