By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

Hint: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

#46: Summon Volcanoes or dig craters in this very innovative shooter/genre mix

Hint #1: Has an Arabian Nights setting.

Hint #2: You need to built a castle to collect the Mana of the world

#41: Greetings, Warlord! Let the war begin! 

Wait, is #46 Magic Carpet?

Actually the second one, but considering the differences are pretty slim outside of gameplay with the upgradeable spells, I let it pass.

I was fearing this one would be one of the most difficult to find out and that I'd need a long list of hints, so kudos managing it with just 2 of them.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Correct!

Going to give another hint to 40.

40.  a) Part of the gameplay of this game involves obtaining 3 keys to open up 3 different gates.  Kinda like the plot to Ready Player One.
b) This is the first game to ever give credit to the game's maker(s).  Although in this case the credits were hidden.

Adventure

Also, the idea for the 3 keys and 3 gates (shortened to just the 3 keys in the movie) is certainly coming from this game. It even shows up in the last challenge in the movie.

Correct!

I agree that the whole "3 keys" thing is a nod to Adventure.  Really the whole movie is about references and easter eggs, but I think the video game that they give the biggest nod to is Adventure.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Correct!

Going to give another hint to 40.

40.  a) Part of the gameplay of this game involves obtaining 3 keys to open up 3 different gates.  Kinda like the plot to Ready Player One.
b) This is the first game to ever give credit to the game's maker(s).  Although in this case the credits were hidden.

I don't know anything about the game, but I heard about the credits. That was Atari don't credit their devs, so Robinett made an secret room with the credits in Adventure.

EDIT: I see @Bofferbrauer2 was faster.

These are the types of clues I have to give for Advenure.  I am not sure anyone else has played it other than myself.  However, it is one of the most historically important games ever made.  I think the first year I hinted that it was like The Legend of Zelda, and no one could guess it, because they hadn't played it.

Mnementh said:
#41Descent
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser again (4th year in a row)

This is probably the only FPS game that I've ever liked.  The fact that I could travel in three dimensions and turn myself upside down really messed with my head, but I liked it.  I also liked Bioshock, but I liked it IN SPITE OF the fact it was a FPS.  With Descent I had fun both just shooting and exploring.  It's a great game.

Mnementh said:

Climb enormous statues of gods to enjoy the view.

A-Creed Odyssey perhaps?

Batman: Arkham City (PS3)

Change YOY: -5

Rocksteady's Arkham games have been some of the best open world titles of the last two console generations, and of the three games Arkham City is the best in my opinion. Arkham Asylum suffered due to lackluster and unimaginative boss fights, and Arkham Knight relied too heavily on the Batmobile throughout the game. Arkham City is where the developer found the best balance, where every aspect worked perfectly in sync.

The freeflow combat was just as fun as before, the detective vision was improved from the original, the gadgets had even more variety, moving around the city was just a delight, and the story and characters were exceptionally well written, managing to make them feel fresh and new while still staying true to their origins. Of course, I must mention the absolutely stellar voice acting which brings the characters to life wonderfully.

Jpcc86 said:
Mnementh said:

A-Creed Odyssey perhaps?

Indeed!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Time for the next game to guess. And #37 is unguessed so far, so I add a hint.

#40: Resident Evil as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#39: Baldur's Gate III guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift
Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.
Said skull gives you pointers what to do next.

fossil fighters?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:
#41Descent
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser again (4th year in a row)

This is probably the only FPS game that I've ever liked.  The fact that I could travel in three dimensions and turn myself upside down really messed with my head, but I liked it.  I also liked Bioshock, but I liked it IN SPITE OF the fact it was a FPS.  With Descent I had fun both just shooting and exploring.  It's a great game.

Another cool thing is, that back then devs often delivered their tools (aka level editors) with the game. Which lead to many cool and crazy user created levels. As the level-editor was special in that way, you could place multiple rooms at the same place in 3D-space. So you leave a room, circle back through a cavern and land in a different room, although you were at the same place in 3D. That fucks with your mind.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Runa216 said:
Mnementh said:

Time for the next game to guess. And #37 is unguessed so far, so I add a hint.

#40: Resident Evil as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#39: Baldur's Gate III guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift
Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.
Said skull gives you pointers what to do next.

fossil fighters?

nope

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

Hint #1: The run&gun series is well known for their hilarious and top-notch sprite animations.

Hint #2: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

#40: A very unusual RTS in space, where you start with a small capital ship and 3 planets to govern, but the map (and thus the number of planets to govern) and fleet grows at specific points in the story when you reach a new rank.

#39: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! yourself Mnementh for finding out it's Serious Sam: The First Encounter 

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 22 November 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Hint #1: The run&gun series is well known for their hilarious and top-notch sprite animations.

Hint #2: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

#40: A very unusual RTS in space, where you start with a small capital ship and 3 planets to govern, but the map (and thus the number of planets to govern) and fleet grows at specific points in the story when you reach a new rank.

#39: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

#39: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH yourself... Serious Sam

Last edited by Mnementh - on 22 November 2020