By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

Hint #1: The run&gun series is well known for their hilarious and top-notch sprite animations.

Hint #2: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

#41: Greetings, Warlord! Let the war begin!

#40: A very unusual RTS in space, where you start with a small capital ship and 3 planets to govern, but the map (and thus the number of planets to govern) and fleet grows at specific points in the story when you reach a new rank.

#39: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

#39: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH yourself... Serious Sam

Uh-oh!

But yeah, you're right. And I intended to use the AAAHHH yourself as first hint, with the Uh-oh! as second one...

I still prefer playing the original releases over their remakes. The original CroEngine was top-notch when it came out, but the re-releases looked downright ugly when they came out compared to other contemporary titles.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 22 November 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

#39: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH yourself... Serious Sam

Uh-oh!

But yeah, you're right.

I still prefer playing the original releases over their remakes. The original CroEngine was top-notch when it came out, but the re-releases looked downright ugly when they came out compared to other contemporary titles.

First video that turned up for the scene. Which is iconic I think.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Bofferbrauer2 said:

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

Hint #1: The run&gun series is well known for their hilarious and top-notch sprite animations.

Hint #2: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

Metal Slug... 5? I think that was the last one released on the Neo Geo. 

#40 Braid

Not even sure how to describe Braid. It's a platformer that lets you rewind time. You can't really die. That's how it starts. The game then takes this simple twist and slowly but surely builds on this premise in ways you couldn't imagine. It messes with your mind and your perception right up to the haunting and disturbing ending. An absolute must play.

Darashiva said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Metal Slug... 5? I think that was the last one released on the Neo Geo. 

It's not quite that old. Also, it's not a remake of any earlier titles like Hint #2 points out, but the series is correct.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 22 November 2020

Around the Network

50 - This game's theme song was so popular and well-liked they released it on the video game Rock Band
- The campaign is only about 4-5 hours long on a first playthrough but as little as 1-2 for experienced players.

49 - The PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game were mostly identical but the Xbox 360 version had a bit more unique content.
- This game is what really propelled a genre into he mainstream, only to have it fizzle out a few years later.

48 - This beloved classic leaned into the genre's more campy elements and is widely considered a masterpiece for it.
- It might be one of the most remastered and rereleased games of all time, and the company recently redid its prequels to great success.

47 - This game left people wondering if the protagonist was human or not, given his relations to other humans within the game world.
- It is also one of the highest rated games of all time and the best-selling in its franchise.

46 - Your ally is a vegetable and your enemy is an idiot.
- This game is a sequel to another game already on the list.

45 - What's gravity? Infinity, that's what.
- This game got a remake that sold better than the original.

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - For the first time ever in this sequel, you can play as the main hero's best friend in their own unique campaign.
- It is the fourth entry in the series, which is in its own is a side-series to a game that has been around since the NES

41 - Red Dead Redemption

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

#39 - A popular video game mascot and his friends play dress up

#38 - You could think of this GBA title as "Think Fast: The Game"

#37 - Some "spells" in this game include "Fairy Faire", "Tempesta", "Baracuda Spin", "Stardust Whip", and the series' staple "Bayo-en!"

#36 - Fans of this popular series consider this game to be a "bright spot" in a string of rather disappointing games 

Last edited by cosmic_drift - on 22 November 2020

Runa216 said:

50 - This game's theme song was so popular and well-liked they released it on the video game Rock Band
- The campaign is only about 4-5 hours long on a first playthrough but as little as 1-2 for experienced players.

49 - The PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game were mostly identical but the Xbox 360 version had a bit more unique content.
- This game is what really propelled a genre into he mainstream, only to have it fizzle out a few years later.

48 - This beloved classic leaned into the genre's more campy elements and is widely considered a masterpiece for it.
- It might be one of the most remastered and rereleased games of all time, and the company recently redid its prequels to great success.

47 - This game left people wondering if the protagonist was human or not, given his relations to other humans within the game world.
- It is also one of the highest rated games of all time and the best-selling in its franchise.

46 - Your ally is a vegetable and your enemy is an idiot.
- This game is a sequel to another game already on the list.

45 - What's gravity? Infinity, that's what.
- This game got a remake that sold better than the original.

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - For the first time ever in this sequel, you can play as the main hero's best friend in their own unique campaign.
- It is the fourth entry in the series, which is in its own is a side-series to a game that has been around since the NES

41 - Red Dead Redemption

42: Yoshi's story?

50: The only videogame song I see worth to play in Rock band would be the Hell March, so my (probably wrong) guess is Command and Conquer: Red Alert

Tekken 5 (PS2)

Change YOY: -10

Tekken has been my favourite fighting game series ever since I played the arcade version of Tekken 1 almost 25 years ago, and the overall best game in the series in my opinion is Tekken 5. The roster is the best it has ever been in the series, the gameplay the most satisfying and fun, and visually it is one of the best looking PS2 games ever.

Outside of maybe Super Smash Bros, Tekken is by far the fighting game series that I've spent the most time with, both playing with friends and by myself through the story. 

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:

I wouldn't say it's a "theme" song. Nice hint though. Again, I can't go around guessing, so I'll leave it up there. A bit late for this today, so I'm gonna make my next hint pretty obvious.

#40 - A fan remake of a game that got an official remake just over a year later.

I don't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but is it the Metroid 2 fan remake?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat