By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

cosmic_drift said:
Kantor said:
45 - not a good time to follow advice from Blue Oyster Cult's hit 1970s song.

Overwatch?

Haha, very close - you correctly identified Don't Fear the Reaper, but rather than fearing the shotgun-wielding hero you should fear the race of ancient destructive machines.

45) Mass Effect

This is one of those games that is carried incredibly far on the sheer amount of heart it displays. Mechanically it's probably the weakest in the trilogy - the powers and gunplay just don't really work together. But as the first entry in a magical, imaginative franchise it holds a special place in my heart - even if that place is below the other games in the trilogy. I think the real highlights are Garrus and Liara as the most likeable and interesting companions, and Saren Arterius as one of the best villains in gaming.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I'll give a few hints at once.

44: The protagonist gets himself into a h-Ares situation

43: Red Mars becomes a lot redder with the blood of the enemies you brutally chainsaw in half

42: Nihilism in 8-bit video game form. The real lesson is not to follow orders.

41: Video games based on a movie are never good, unless that movie is based on a video game.

40: A man is resurrected by a jeweller and they run around Middle Earth turning enemies into friends.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Here's the first five games.

#14: Gunfighter (Showdown in 2100AD.)

• Philips Videopac G7000 (Magnavox Odyssey2)
  • Unguessed

This primitive video game is one of the first I played. Obviously I am not old enough to played this when it was new however. My mother, in her own childhood, had a video game system during the 1970s. There were a bunch of games with it.

In those days, pretty much all games were first party and they were numbered, staring with one and ending somewhere in the 40s. After I was introduced to video games through other games, which will come up, my mother dug up her old console for me to play. The game that stuck me most was this one. According to our European box art I was supposed to be playing a duel between cowboys in the Wild West, but as box art from other regions prove, these graphics are up to interpretation.

Gameplay is simple; shoot the other and score a point. Single-player didn't exist yet in those days, so this was multiplayer and I played it with my mother mostly, but sometimes with others. The game introduced me to shooters, and competitive play. It also proves, that simple, even in this day and age, can be a lot of fun.

Soccer

• Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

Another archaic game is Soccer. This was one of the 'black-box' games, a series of launch-window titles (in Europe at least) spanning a variety of genres and often with the most generic titles. The most famous of these, likely, is Super Mario Bros.

Soccer was likely my first gaming addiction, as I regularly played it with my cousin, for a, at least from the perspective of a child, long while. The NES I played on was my aunt's, as she was quite the gamer. When she bought herself an SNES, the old NES was moved upstairs for us kids to play. Later still, when she got herself the N64, the NES was moved to grandma's house. And we continued playing.

Step On It!

• Apple Macintosh
  • Guessed by Darashiva

An extremely obscure puzzle platform that was in fact a clone of a more well known NES game; Solomon's Key. This fact was unknown to me for over a decade, even when I actually did know of the NES game's existence.

I assume the development of it and the handful of other games they made was merely due to the developers wanting to do something different every once in a while, as they usually made productivity apps for Mac in the 90s. Spreadsheet 2000 anyone? That's theirs. Or more interestingly the precursor to iTunes.

Regardless, the game's a lot of fun and challenging. The objective, like the game it's born from, is to get a key and reach the exit by overcoming obstacles. The player can create and remove blocks to build bridges or trap enemies. This requires a lot of thinking, which I wasn't capable of back then, because I could never beat it.

Duck Hunt

• Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Guessed by Darashiva

A likely contender for being the first video game I ever played. Because of my young age, I don't know exactly, and because Super Mario Bros. was on the same cartridge it could also have been that, but in any case Duck Hunt is the game that made a lasting impression.

The dog you love to hate was a big piece of that memorability. Obviously, the dog is the character that fetches the birds you shoot, or laughs at you when you miss. It's a one-dimensional character for sure, but its infamy probably made it one of the most well known video game characters ever created. A true icon.

Like Soccer, I played this with my cousin at my aunt's house. I was still a time when I didn't care much about gaming however, even if I thought playing this every now and then was fun, and the game that really made me a gamer still had to come up.

Star Wars Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire

• Apple Macintosh
  • Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

My real father never cared much for technology, and he still doesn't, so we never had anything interesting in the house, but when my parents got divorced and I gained a step-father, all that changed. Shortly after, he came home carrying a huge cardboard box that weighed as much as a car. Inside it was a computer, our first computer; a Mac. With it, he brought a handful of games. One of those, was Star Wars Rebel Assault II.

This game blew my mind at the time. It was my introduction to the Star Wars franchise, and when you have never heard of Darth Vader, his introduction in the intro of this game is quite intimidating.

Luckily, this is also a fun game. In arcade style, the game follows a series of on-rails levels. These levels are usually shooters in either first of third person style, or flying stages where you have avoid obstacles. The game's cinematic presentation with live-action cutscenes set the stage for my love of Star Wars, one of two pop-culture franchises that have stayed with me, and will stay with me, for all time.

Kantor said:

43: Red Mars becomes a lot redder with the blood of the enemies you brutally chainsaw in half

Doom?

Kantor said:

44: The protagonist gets himself into a h-Ares situation

42: Nihilism in 8-bit video game form. The real lesson is not to follow orders.

41: Video games based on a movie are never good, unless that movie is based on a video game.

40: A man is resurrected by a jeweller and they run around Middle Earth turning enemies into friends.

44) Not sure I really get the hint, but I'll just say God of War due to "Ares" being in there

40) Defintely Shadow of Mordor

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Next set of hints;

45: The cities in this game actually grow when you upgrade them. So cool, but sadly this graphical feature was removed again in newer games.

44: The biggest hype ever. GTA? Fortnite? Fall Guys? Minecraft? No.. this.

43: This latest game in the franchise was already huge, but now that the second and latest expansion was released, you now have five worlds full of islands to settle.

42: Literally just a palet swap of a famous RTS game.

41: In the early 2000s the Quake 3 engine was the engine to build you game with. Plenty of games used it, especially first person shooter games. It's not yet time for a Star Wars game, but it is time for a game from another galactic franchise.

EDIT: Typoed ‘four’ instead of ‘five worlds’ on #43.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 18 November 2020

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:
Mnementh said:
Runa216 said:
I have a conundrum. I made my list, but literally over the last week or so (Since the PS4's Launch), I've added a game to said list. gotta rejigger the whole list! The game is Demon's Souls. It's on par with Dark Souls for me.

From the rules:

• Games that release after October 31st, 2020 will not be allowed.
       • This means no Cyberpunk 2077, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Demon's Souls remake, and so on.
       • This also means you're not allowed to list any game exclusively for PS5 and/or Xbox Series X/S. However, you can list a game for these platforms if you've also played it on a different system before (just don't lie!).

Well that clears things up! 

I mean, Demon's Souls remake is a bit of a contentious one. Obviously the original game is allowed, so if you'd list it based on that, go on. But as for the remake... technically, it should also be allowed if it's considered similar enough to the original. Personally, I don't know nearly enough about it to know how much it differs from the original, so, uhh, it's a tough one.

Basically what I'm saying is, this one's up for debate.

Yeah. I played Demon's Souls and really liked it way back when (before I started writing reviews for GamrReview), but had to stop because I started doing reviews. I didn't return to it because...well I'd moved onto PS4 by then and didn't want to go back and play an old clunky game. I tried Dark souls II and Dark Souls remastered, and defaulted to assuming Demon's Souls was just as clunky, if not clunkier. Now, I'm on the last level/boss of the game on the remake and I can say it's as great as I hoped. About on part with Dark Souls 1 overall, and since the devs deliberately said they didn't alter the gameplay, just the animations and look/sound of the game, I think it's fair to say it's close enough to consider. I'll put Demon's Souls on my list, just like Dark Souls, even if the Remaster is the one I played to fall in love...because there were WAY too many issues with the PS3 version of Dark souls 1 to consider it a fave (mostly blighttown and glitches and hard shutdowns)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Alright, I'll jump in here with one simple hint about the next game on my list: It's the rarest game ever released for the PlayStation 2.

Mega Man 4

Change YOY: -4

Mega Man 4 served as my introduction to the series, and to this day it remains my second favourite NES game of all time. The gameplay was further polished from the previous games, with the addition of the Mega Buster bringing a great new element to the game, the music is among the best on the entire system, and the robot masters are still highly varied and a lot of fun to fight.

After this game the quality of the 8-bit Mega Man games took an unfortunate dive, but from Mega Man 2 until Mega Man 4 the series was on par of better than any other 2D platforming game around at the time, and they still hold up today wonderfully, with this one being the best of the bunch, in my opinion of course.

Rogue Galaxy

Change YOY: +1

I really need to get around to replaying Rogue Galaxy at some point in the near future. If only my backlog wasn't so stupidly long already. Anyway, Rogue Galaxy is the second Level-5 developed game on my list after Dragon Quest VIII appeared here a little earlier. It was a game I hadn't really heard anything about, one say I just happened to see it on one of online stores I used to order games from, and thought it looked interesting. So I gave it a try, and absolutely loved the game from the moment it started.

From the music to the gameplay and from the characters to the story, I enjoyed every part of Rogue Galaxy. In addition, the setting is wonderful, with a huge variety of different types of locations to explore over the course of this JRPG space opera.

S.Peelman said:

Next set of hints;

45: The cities in this game actually grow when you upgrade them. So cool, but sadly this graphical feature was removed again in newer games.

44: The biggest hype ever. GTA? Fortnite? Fall Guys? Minecraft? No.. this.

43: This latest game in the franchise was already huge, but now that the second and latest expansion was released, you now have four worlds full of islands to settle.

42: Literally just a palet swap of a famous RTS game.

41: In the early 2000s the Quake 3 engine was the engine to build you game with. Plenty of games used it, especially first person shooter games. It's not yet time for a Star Wars game, but it is time for a game from another galactic franchise.

#44: Tetris

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]