By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Capcom expects Monster Hunter Rise to sell over 1 million units in Japan

Tagged games:

So google translating the original source makes his answer:

We plan to sell more than 1 million units of "Monster Hunter Rise", but we are considering that it will be released at the end of March and that the target hardware is limited.

So should be for the FY.

I think what he means by the target hardware being limited is the limited supply for the Switch. I doubt that would have a big effect though, unless there are some massive MH fans out there without a Switch which can't get one before release.

Edit: Also, the question he's answering is about how new releases can affect business in second half of the FY, so its definitely for the FY.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Did they mean 1 million in a week ?

UnderwaterFunktown said:

So google translating the original source makes his answer:

We plan to sell more than 1 million units of "Monster Hunter Rise", but we are considering that it will be released at the end of March and that the target hardware is limited.

So should be for the FY.

I think what he means by the target hardware being limited is the limited supply for the Switch. I doubt that would have a big effect though, unless there are some massive MH fans out there without a Switch which can't get one before release.

Edit: Also, the question he's answering is about how new releases can affect business in second half of the FY, so its definitely for the FY.

So 1 million in 5 days I think, it's a very reasonable prediction tbh

MasonADC said:
This is obviously about this fiscal year. The title should probably be changed to that.

Monster Hunter Rise releases March 26. So fiscal year is pretty much one week. A million is doable, if it works as well as previous MonHuns. MonHun 4G sold 1.5M opening week in Japan. So one million is a lower ground of expectation, not too low, but perfectly attainable.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 30 October 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'd say 1M is in the bag. I imagine that the Switch will receive a pretty substantial hardware boost as well.

Around the Network

1M first week makes more sense than 1M lifetime for sure.

Signature goes here!

Marth said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Still lowballing.

Up to 2M should be doable for MH:R first week in Japan.

It's pessimistic, but perfect acceptable. I'm sure this game will also have a higher digital percentage digital compared to previous entries, so 1 million retail and 500k digital first week won't surprise me 

By the way new game play of 6 minutes has been added to the twitter account of MH.
Your thoughts?

Marth said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Still lowballing.

Up to 2M should be doable for MH:R first week in Japan.

2 million is high end. Previous titles opened between 1.3M (World) and 1.9M (Freedom 3). Two million is possible, but it would be definitely a great opening. Only 1M on the other hand would be disappointing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

1 Million in the first week is just as nonsensical as 1 Million lifetime.

The game will more than likely do around 2 millions in japan alone first week. When you include worldwide, the number would probably be double that.

Capcom is probably downplaying their predictions so that they can show up at the end of their FY and say to the investors: " Well, would you look at that. It did far better than we expected!"

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1