By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU2 is losing steam. Why?

Game Informer picked Part II the best game of the generation so far, and other sites picked it as the best PS4 game this year.

All I’m seeing in FB groups, YouTube and forums is more people getting to play the game and accepting is a really good one.
It went from 3.1 on metacritic to 5.7 and from 2.8/5 starts to 4.6/5 on Amazon, that’s quite the achievement.

At this time the game would be near 10 million units sold, is still at full price and Many were waiting on a confirmation for a PS5 remastered in order to play it.

But we also have that Black Friday is only a month away and it will
Be around $25-30 so many will pull the trigger then.

Around the Network

Burning Typhoon said:
kirby007 said:
once you have seen a story it's finished, see Game of Thrones

Every game that releases these days goes straight to twitch, and anyone can see the story of every game that comes out.  The game still sold millions in it's first couple of days, so this simply is not true.

BraLoD said:
A massive hate campaign was what happened, and people bought on it.
What happened with it on Metacritic alone was unprecedent.
It's by far the best game this year, which is really sad for those people missing on it.
Probably still made ND good money already and they may make a TLoU2R like they did back with the original and the PS5 early day hype might help it a lot since there will be no hate campaign anymore, who knows.

And why was there a massive hate campaign?  There had to be something wrong with the game for there to be so much pushback against it, otherwise, there wouldn't be an unprecedented hate campaign on Metacritic.  It wouldn't have gained so much traction and any hate for the game wouldn't have stuck.

Spoiler!

You do not take a character, who could sense when someone was lying and trying to ambush in the first game, and allow him to immediately trust a new person and a random group of people, all the while Tommy is going out and giving out names, like they don't know they've been murdering people to survive over 20 years.  It's so foolish and comical that it's not even realistic by any stretch of the imagination.  If you want to kill Joel so badly, and bring out the rage of the player to go after Abby you have to set-up Joel as being a competent, worthwhile character.  He never would have done that in the first game, or he wouldn't have survived.  How you handle the character is important.

Not to mention, the gameplay is suck in 2013.  Outside of the graphics, there is nothing special about this game that couldn't have been done on PS3.  Gameplay is almost exactly the same, with some minor rope climbing added.  But what is this game doing outside of graphics that shows it's evolved over a 7 year period?

The ending of the game was a let down too.  All that set-up, and Ellie is going around killing people without mercy, yet the ONE person the player WANTS to kill, and Ellie lets her go free?  Abby would have died anyway.  She was captured and Ellie saved her (what?) After Tommy asked her to leave Dena and the baby and go out and kill, or something?  I'm foggy with the details. but Ellie's story was done.  She had no reason to leave that house, and had she not, Abby would have died anyway.  Too see her freed, and Ellie without a family, for no reason, was onr horrible let-down in the story out of many.  It most definitely was not game of the generation, or game of the year, by a long shot, and I 100% disagree with your assessment.

There was a zombie horde chasing them. He following Abby made perfect sense, remember besides Abby nobody welcoming him in the manor knew who was him, hence didn't act strangely or unfriendly towards him. Once they realize Joel was Joel, Joel immediately notice what was going on as well, but it was too late

The scene he was killed made perfect sense. People only got but-hurt because they were expecting some kind of uplifting and heroic death for a murderer in a post-apocalyptic world. Many people still not getting TLOU 2 is not a game of revenge or big acts, it's a very small and personal narrative about consequences and point of views

The way he died was just as small and unimportant as the people he killed before, and ultimately a consequence of his actions 

And the whole scene wasn't about him, but about Ellie and later about Abby. It was a masterpiece crafted scene from a cinematic perspective, a quality quite overlooked in this game, it's not about graphics only but it's also voice acting, it's the editing, it's what angle camera is focusing, how the sound was editing to focused on different dialogues happening in the same time.

You may argue every of those things were possible 7 years ago, so what? Everything about Zelda BOTW could be done with 2010 technology and hardware, what make it special if how they use their resources to made what was not done before, whether it was technically possible or not. TLOU2 do the same, just not with gameplay

It's hard to say, since I haven't played it myself (nor I plan to do so). But if I had to guess, I would say that

1: The game seems to not be as good as many people claim it to be (except for the audiovisual side, that is absolutely stunning). I don't think it's bad or anything. It probably is a very good game overall. But I have my doubts about those 10/10, specially after reading some reviews from less importante sites/individuals and countless player comments. It certainly isn't a 0/10 or a 1/10 like many Metacritic reviews seem to point out. I probably a lot more good than bad, but far from a perfect experience, let alone something that could be called "masterpiece".

2: The game had some controversial story decisions: some of them fair to dislike, some of them hated just because some people are a bunch of despicable bigots that can't stand certain types of characters and situations. In the end though, it doesn't matter if they are legitimate concearns or not: the controversy and the disliking is there and that has to affect the game to some degree.

3: As a consequence of points 1 and 2, word of mouth has suffered considerably.

But really, it's been 4 months. People move on. You can't expect people to keep talking about a 25 hours story driven game four months later like it just came out. Interest has to fall at some point. And it doesn't really matter, because TLOU2 is gonna win the GOTY. But that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone or some kind of quality seal: it was gonna win since it was announced back in 2016.

I dont think the games even hit the sales yet. It's been full price since launch and sales will probably stay steady till when its half price, when sales will most likely increase, as much as I hate to say since I hated the game.

BraLoD said:
Burning Typhoon said:

Every game that releases these days goes straight to twitch, and anyone can see the story of every game that comes out.  The game still sold millions in it's first couple of days, so this simply is not true.

And why was there a massive hate campaign?  There had to be something wrong with the game for there to be so much pushback against it, otherwise, there wouldn't be an unprecedented hate campaign on Metacritic.  It wouldn't have gained so much traction and any hate for the game wouldn't have stuck.

Spoiler!

You do not take a character, who could sense when someone was lying and trying to ambush in the first game, and allow him to immediately trust a new person and a random group of people, all the while Tommy is going out and giving out names, like they don't know they've been murdering people to survive over 20 years.  It's so foolish and comical that it's not even realistic by any stretch of the imagination.  If you want to kill Joel so badly, and bring out the rage of the player to go after Abby you have to set-up Joel as being a competent, worthwhile character.  He never would have done that in the first game, or he wouldn't have survived.  How you handle the character is important.

Not to mention, the gameplay is suck in 2013.  Outside of the graphics, there is nothing special about this game that couldn't have been done on PS3.  Gameplay is almost exactly the same, with some minor rope climbing added.  But what is this game doing outside of graphics that shows it's evolved over a 7 year period?

The ending of the game was a let down too.  All that set-up, and Ellie is going around killing people without mercy, yet the ONE person the player WANTS to kill, and Ellie lets her go free?  Abby would have died anyway.  She was captured and Ellie saved her (what?) After Tommy asked her to leave Dena and the baby and go out and kill, or something?  I'm foggy with the details. but Ellie's story was done.  She had no reason to leave that house, and had she not, Abby would have died anyway.  Too see her freed, and Ellie without a family, for no reason, was onr horrible let-down in the story out of many.  It most definitely was not game of the generation, or game of the year, by a long shot, and I 100% disagree with your assessment.

The hate campaign started a month before the game even released, the majority of metacritic score game asap when it was humanly impossible to have beaten the game.

I'm part of some gaming communities on facebook and a lot of people still can't handle a woman being as strong as Abby was, even as she trained her ass off like a maniac for her revenge.

The reason behind the hate campaign was just one: blind hate.

I've already stated exactly what the issues with the game were.  You didn't address a single one of them, and bring up the irrelevance of Abby's body structure.  I didn't once mention it because it had nothing to do with why the game was bad.  Four or five people not being able to handle muscular women is not the same thing.  There's no reason to even bring that up as a part of the conversation.  Of course, there's blind hate but not to the point you're speaking of.  Because if you have to bring that up, you have to bring up Ellie's sexuality too.  It's not a big deal, not everyone has to be the same, and it's fine.  If you have a problem with Abby you no doubt have a problem with Ellie too, and I don't see you mention that either.

I've heard people say, "I don't use females in games."  And you know what?  That's fine too.  Some people just don't like playing characters that aren't like them.  But I've already said my issues with the game, and it had nothing to do with my expectation of how women should be treated in games.  If it was really that bad, the first game would have failed.

Abby's set-up was done entirely wrong in the game.  You have to make a character be legitimately likable if you want her to kill Joel, and that's not what happened.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
Game Informer picked Part II the best game of the generation so far, and other sites picked it as the best PS4 game this year.

All I’m seeing in FB groups, YouTube and forums is more people getting to play the game and accepting is a really good one.
It went from 3.1 on metacritic to 5.7 and from 2.8/5 starts to 4.6/5 on Amazon, that’s quite the achievement.

At this time the game would be near 10 million units sold, is still at full price and Many were waiting on a confirmation for a PS5 remastered in order to play it.

But we also have that Black Friday is only a month away and it will
Be around $25-30 so many will pull the trigger then.

10 million lol, total player counts(new copies, 2nd hand copies, profile sharing, and etc) is currently sitting at 6.9 million users. 

TLOU2 had already receiving -$20 price promotions by Sony. 

Raw data of TLOU2 vs other Sony games player count

No offense but some people still haven't played/completed the game. Would be nice for some of you to edit your posts to remove spoilers or at least hide them.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
You expected it to be first in the charts after months of release? You expected the game to be the main talking point of gaming now that we are days away of a new generation of consoles? Third best selling game of the year according to what replicant posted and it had a massive dumb hate campaign that started a month before the game released, one of the worsts ever that probably hurt a bit. I hope they hit us with a upgrade for multiplayer and a patch to make the game even better than what it is on ps5, a free patch btw.

That chart is not for best selling games of the year. It is for the highest revenue in U.S.A only for the year. Plus Bethesda and Nintendo dont report digital sales to NPD. I believe Take Two doesnt as well.

Its possible something like Super Mario 3D All Stars; GTA 5 and MK8D have outsold it YTD world wide.

Not to mention its nowhere to be seen in any sales charts.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I forgot this game even existed and I read video game news every day. That says a lot.

Sony games are front loaded. Nothing new.