By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU2 is losing steam. Why?

For a game contending as the game of this generation, it's seriously losing in all aspects from social media mentions to sales trajectory as the legs lag behind other game such as GoW, Spiderman and even Ghost of Tsuhima.

I'm just gonna lay it out for everyone...

What happened?

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network

What are the latest stats? Current lifetime total? 

I never played it, but followed the lore and watched the cutscenes and got somewhat invested. Personally, I didn’t like how the devs took 2 beloved characters and made their lives much worse, with one dying a unceremonious death. (Think enough time passed that I can say spoilers). Meanwhile they give the spotlight to someone new that simply isn’t likeable.

Naughty Dog made their statement, made the game they wanted to make. On a technical level it’s near perfect. But it will forever have divided the fanbase on the story direction. Once word of mouth spreads from someone who didn’t like it, then it makes less incentive for a friend to play themselves. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 24 October 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I think the controversy did hurt its sales but it's the US' 3rd best selling game in 2020.
With Factions 2.0 and a boosted or dedicated next-gen version coming, it's probably fine.

Bad word of mouth and controversy. It didn't stop the game from performing well, but it's enough to hurt its legs and keep it from being a mega blockbuster. It was pretty obvious sales were gonna be front-loaded.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

once you have seen a story it's finished, see Game of Thrones

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Word of mouth killed it.
Good game but didnt live to the hype. Most fans were disappointed overall, I was one of them.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Wman1996 said:
Bad word of mouth and controversy. It didn't stop the game from performing well, but it's enough to hurt its legs and keep it from being a mega blockbuster. It was pretty obvious sales were gonna be front-loaded.

Especially in Asia!

Asia PSN store have 9k who scored it and game has 2 and a half out of five star ratings.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Good legs come from good word of mouth. If many owners of the game didn't recommend it to their friends or workmates then many of them don't buy it the months after release.

It will be still a huge financial success, though.

I'm waiting a few more months if a better PS5 version gets announced.

Especially since Spider-Man shows that free upgrades of Sony's first party titles aren't a given.

Wouldn't be shocked if it just looks to depressing with what is going on in the world and to me the game looked awful. Also i've pretty much vowed to never buy a ND-game again after the false-flagging of Youtubers