By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's next for Naughty Dog?

hinch said:
green_sky said:

YT Vid

Don't derail please this has nothing to do with OP, like at all. Simply don't post if you aren't interested in the subject?

Not derailing. It is relevant to the thread and discussion of what games they play. Why people liked them, including me. Why the reception was mixed to the newest one and what they could potentially do next or not. 

Just ignore if you don't like. I do for most of the internet. 

Around the Network
green_sky said:

Not derailing. It is relevant to the thread and discussion of what games they play. Why people liked them, including me. Why the reception was mixed to the newest one and what they could potentially do next or not. 

Just ignore if you don't like. I do for most of the internet. 

"Some game where they make you kill hundreds of people. Then you kill someone in the cutscene (which you didn't, the game did) and the game says omg aren't you becoming the bad guy. Will get 97 metacritic rating."

Nah, you went full on downplaying with that post. But let's get back on tracks.

Even fans of the studio and their games can't downplay the games now, when they don't like it. Just self censorship everyone and don't say anything. Become a bot.

Edit: Am out. You guys can do your amazing investigative journalism on what they are doing next with no freaking info. Just multiplayer for Tlou announced. 

Last edited by green_sky - on 20 October 2020

JuliusHackebeil said:
green_sky said:

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what he is saying. Watched the whole thing a few days ago. For their next game, they have to drastically rethink their approach.

Also, I read a lot, that the 2nd game was too dark. But it was just dark in what happens to what characters. The messages (and the video talks about that aswell) are very kiddy compared to the first part. Forgivness is hard, revenge is bad, murder and torture is bad.

That is very different from part 1, where those things are portrayed as good and quite handy and Joel (a stone cold murderer who selfishly forsakes mankind) as ultra likeable.

And I hate to say it, but I don't trust Druckman with anything any longer. Perhaps, when you are driven by personal ideology in a way Druckman is, this rubs off on your game and it becomes less daring since it HAS to be a force for good. It honestly astonishes me how clear cut good and evil are in part 2.

For their next game, I wish for moral ambiguity and daring messages, not just subversion of expectation à la Rian Johnson.

But I hope they stay somewhat where they are for their next outing: third person, rather linear, cool set-pieces, advanced tech and graphics, good actors.

What? How did you come away with that from the game? It was the total opposite of clear cut, it was pretty clear they wanted to show that there really are no good guys and bad guys or good and evil, it's just a matter of perspective. That was the whole point. An opposing group seem like the bad guys until you suddenly are shown things from their point of view. All characters do all kinds of things in the game, mostly horrific shit, even to the point where you as a player are made uncomfortable for what you have to do, and the characters justify their actions of course. I don't think bad things were portrayed as good in the first game either, it's always up to the player and it's very interesting how we fall in love with characters who do very grim stuff. The whole series is a study of the ambiguous nature of how we feel about these things.

It will be a new IP, at least what I hope; next will be TLOU, maybe a prequel ? I would also love a new Uncharted Game from Naughty Dog, and not from another Dev. It should be stellar, full of adrenalin action, and a very strong MP, and I want back Adventure coop and Arena coop, so basicly an "Uncharted 2 like" on steroids for the single player, and "Uncharted 3 like" on steroids for the Multi player. Dreaming is free :D

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Dante9 said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

And I hate to say it, but I don't trust Druckman with anything any longer. Perhaps, when you are driven by personal ideology in a way Druckman is, this rubs off on your game and it becomes less daring since it HAS to be a force for good. It honestly astonishes me how clear cut good and evil are in part 2.

For their next game, I wish for moral ambiguity and daring messages, not just subversion of expectation à la Rian Johnson.

What? How did you come away with that from the game? It was the total opposite of clear cut, it was pretty clear they wanted to show that there really are no good guys and bad guys or good and evil, it's just a matter of perspective. That was the whole point. An opposing group seem like the bad guys until you suddenly are shown things from their point of view. All characters do all kinds of things in the game, mostly horrific shit, even to the point where you as a player are made uncomfortable for what you have to do, and the characters justify their actions of course. I don't think bad things were portrayed as good in the first game either, it's always up to the player and it's very interesting how we fall in love with characters who do very grim stuff. The whole series is a study of the ambiguous nature of how we feel about these things.

I can agree to some extent. Yes, who is the good guy and who is the bad are very much dependent on perspective in TLoU2.

On the other hand: evil deeds are portrayed as evil and good deeds as good. This us what I think is too clear cut.

Spoilery talk:

Some characters might kill or torture others. In a really daring game the conversation would be open about this being a good thing. In part 2 stuff like that is bad 100 % of the time. And only when characters of part 2 are able to overcome their dark desires are they able to grow and overcome their trauma and get on with their lives.

And I really think this is something I cannot overlook. It is kiddy, but with a dark facade. And I fear their next game is goint to be similar in this regard. That there is no question about how to be good. Sure, for their next game I don't expect a clear cut villain and a clear cut good guy ptotagonist. But I fully expect that ND will carefully portray the bad stuff as bad and the good stuff as good, so that everybody knows how to be a goody two shoes. And that revenge is always bad. And that you have to forgive yourself and others to start healing. Such deep.

JuliusHackebeil said:
Dante9 said:

I can agree to some extent. Yes, who is the good guy and who is the bad are very much dependent on perspective in TLoU2.

On the other hand: evil deeds are portrayed as evil and good deeds as good. This us what I think is too clear cut.

Spoilery talk:

Some characters might kill or torture others. In a really daring game the conversation would be open about this being a good thing. In part 2 stuff like that is bad 100 % of the time. And only when characters of part 2 are able to overcome their dark desires are they able to grow and overcome their trauma and get on with their lives.

And I really think this is something I cannot overlook. It is kiddy, but with a dark facade. And I fear their next game is goint to be similar in this regard. That there is no question about how to be good. Sure, for their next game I don't expect a clear cut villain and a clear cut good guy ptotagonist. But I fully expect that ND will carefully portray the bad stuff as bad and the good stuff as good, so that everybody knows how to be a goody two shoes. And that revenge is always bad. And that you have to forgive yourself and others to start healing. Such deep.

The thing is, some things just can't really be justified as a good thing, no matter how you look at them. Torturing or killing someone may get you results, but they're still a shitty and awful thing to do to anyone, I don't think there's really a discussion to be had here in that regard. It's just about to what lengths one is willing to go to to achieve something. There's a price to pay.

Also, like you said yourself, there's trauma involved for all parties. Unless you're a psychopath of some kind, doing brutal things to other people will screw with your mental health, even if it felt justified at the time. People don't really think about this stuff because in most games, you just slaughter people in the hundreds without batting an eye. It's just a game mechanic. TLOU is trying to address what consequences it would have on you in real life. It IS pretty deep indeed.

I'm down for a The Last of Us part III but preferably a new IP. Maybe Savage Starlight would be nice. They already created a lot of the Lore by the having the ingame comics and cards

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Naughty Dog have proven to be strong with linear action adventure games.
I'd like a new IP from them but still some sort of action adventure.

They have combined it with platforming, run gun, stealth and horror. Maybe go more for some puzzles?
Thinking something like portal 2 but a little more close to home.

The last thing I wish to see is for them to go open world. Keep doing some great linear games please.

Dante9 said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

The thing is, some things just can't really be justified as a good thing, no matter how you look at them. Torturing or killing someone may get you results, but they're still a shitty and awful thing to do to anyone, I don't think there's really a discussion to be had here in that regard. It's just about to what lengths one is willing to go to to achieve something. There's a price to pay.

Also, like you said yourself, there's trauma involved for all parties. Unless you're a psychopath of some kind, doing brutal things to other people will screw with your mental health, even if it felt justified at the time. People don't really think about this stuff because in most games, you just slaughter people in the hundreds without batting an eye. It's just a game mechanic. TLOU is trying to address what consequences it would have on you in real life. It IS pretty deep indeed.

I'm trying to frame this in regards to what I want from ND in their next game, so that it is not too far off topic.

I think there is a somewhat discussion to be had about murder and torture being a good, or bad thing. Sure, we all see those things as bad, but this does not mean I cannot consume stuff (like video games) where the lessons are unintuitive, difficult, moraly revolting. I don't think ND is interested anylonger in making such games. Where the lesson in the end is: murder is difficult but just foresake some part of your humanity, become a monster, do the most horrible acts and live happier for it.

Don't get me wrong, murder is almost always wrong and almost always scarring. Any balanced human being would agree with that. But perhaps playing as a balanced human being, who in the end always learns the right lesson, is boring. I would find it much more interesting and engaging to play as a psychopath who over time loses remorse over torture and killing, lives happy and walks away with the completely wrong lesson.

Kind of what happened in TLoU part 1. Joel is for all intents and purposes a shitty person (how Tess put it). He lived part of the apocalyps as hunter scum. He kills all the good guys and even gravely betrays the trust of his daughter (Ellie of course). And then he walks away with her, to live a peaceful happy life in Jackson.

But suddenly, in Part 2, everything is different. Suddenly people get what they diserve. And many charakters really had it coming. I want a cruel world where injustice wins. In Part 2 some cosmic forces, or karma or whatever is really at it. And everybody seems to get what they deserve. That is kiddy and boring.

I might be on the wrong track with the following, but I think if you subscribe to a certain ideology and are of a certain mindset, game like that, games that I want, cannot be made. And ND at the moment is in a headspace where creating something like I described above seems impossible.

The TLoU2 is deeper than most games. Sure. But it did not go far enough for me by a long shot. Part 1 excelled in comparison. And this describes a downward trajectory ND might be on.