By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's next for Naughty Dog?

green_sky said:
Some game where they make you kill hundreds of people. Then you kill someone in the cutscene (which you didn't, the game did) and the game says omg aren't you becoming the bad guy. Will get 97 metacritic rating.

I know you are joking and I agree it breaks the suspension of disbelief and immersion. But the main reason why deaths in cutscenes (as well as damage you receive) are meaningful compared to the ones you do in gameplay is that it can be inferred that you were supposed to pass through the sections of the game unscathed and without killing anyone or perhaps even totally unseen. That is even the reason even enemies and allies don't even mention the hundreds you just killed or the many bullets you took without any problem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Dante9 said:
hinch said:

Yeah TLOU 2 went way too dark and in the deep end. We don't need another game like that any time soon. It needs to be more light-hearted game.

I wouldn't mind if they had a go at Sci-fi with RPG elements. If it was something akin to a Mass Effect I wouldn't complain. Like, at all.

I was one of the opponents of TLOU2 after the leaks, but finishing the game made me do a full 180. I now think the game is masterful and I find myself thinking about it long afterwards. ND could have taken the easy route of just giving us more of TLOU 1, but they did something very bold and I think it paid off in a more deep and thought provoking way than anything that I have ever seen in my 35 years of gaming. Not everybody was happy with it and I can see that too. It takes some contemplation and understanding and overcoming one's own emotional workings to appreciate. It was dark, yes, but I enjoy dark things and now it feels like The Empire Strikes Back, the dark second part in a trilogy. They have to make a Part III to complete the story. Elements are in place to make a truly meaningful conclusion to the whole saga. I don't think the whole controversy did any real damage to the franchise. Some fans were perhaps lost, some gained but if and when the final part arrives, it will surely get its due attention.

However, I think Part III will come towards the end of the PS5 life cycle, to close out the generation on a high note just as the previous parts have done. Before that, we will get something else and although I'm open to anything from ND, I hope it is a new sci-fi thing, I'd love to see their take on something like that.

Yeah I completed and really liked the TLOU 2 and it is one of my favourite games of this generation. However I have no real incentive to go back to it. Even the first game I only completed once. Is just a bit too much for me (to replay) and I prefer something more lighthearted, like the Uncharted series.

Judging by the reactions of even the biggest TLOU fans its quite a divisive game. The second one took it way too far and you could see the sales drop off after the initial opening. I respect the guys at ND but Druckman went all in and thats okay, its just not for most people.

But yeah, I'll take a new IP any day after 2 for their next game. Not poo pooing on it.. I'd be down for another TLOU in another 5-6 years

green_sky said:

Yeah, certainly can imagine the relevance of this post to the thread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Yeah, certainly can imagine the relevance of this post to the thread.

You are welcome. 

Around the Network
green_sky said:

YT Vid

Don't derail please this has nothing to do with OP, like at all. Simply don't post if you aren't interested in the subject?

hinch said:

Don't derail please this has nothing to do with OP, like at all. Simply don't post if you aren't interested in the subject?

Bold: Yeah, it shouldn't really be that hard. But for some it is apparently.

Of course, we don't all like every game but OP is asking for what you think will come next. Your personal take on TLOU2 isn't that relevant.

Replicant said:
hinch said:

Bold: Yeah, it shouldn't really be that hard. But for some it is apparently.

Of course, we don't all like every game but OP is asking for what you think will come next. Your personal take on TLOU2 isn't that relevant.

His personal opinion could even be relevant if he gave a real analysis of it and then what he expect next. But a third party video with almost 1h to claim the game is obsolete certainly isn't.

green_sky said:

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what he is saying. Watched the whole thing a few days ago. For their next game, they have to drastically rethink their approach.

Also, I read a lot, that the 2nd game was too dark. But it was just dark in what happens to what characters. The messages (and the video talks about that aswell) are very kiddy compared to the first part. Forgivness is hard, revenge is bad, murder and torture is bad.

That is very different from part 1, where those things are portrayed as good and quite handy and Joel (a stone cold murderer who selfishly forsakes mankind) as ultra likeable.

And I hate to say it, but I don't trust Druckman with anything any longer. Perhaps, when you are driven by personal ideology in a way Druckman is, this rubs off on your game and it becomes less daring since it HAS to be a force for good. It honestly astonishes me how clear cut good and evil are in part 2.

For their next game, I wish for moral ambiguity and daring messages, not just subversion of expectation à la Rian Johnson.

But I hope they stay somewhat where they are for their next outing: third person, rather linear, cool set-pieces, advanced tech and graphics, good actors.

See, it isn't that hard.

Post above actually makes an effort explaining why the things the user didn't like about TLOU2 (e.g. that it's too dark and got a mixed reception) may make ND go in another direction.