By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Right and left wing games

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Is there any, chicken wing games?

Around the Network

Leave it up to Americans to assign one of their only two political ideologies to video games =P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

What a complete joke is all I can say.

Thanks to people on the left this kind of excess has become a norm. This stupidity is what you support and vote for.

Hunting Season is done...

And this is why communism is great

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Sigh, I just can't resist the urge.

So, first issue. You should probably provide a source for the picture, because you saying it's a left-wing individual cannot really be verified otherwise. Though I agree that the individual probably considers themselves to be left-wing. I agree that the picture is bad, though it's not for the same reasons you do.

So, what are left-wing and right-wing politics? In essence, that has to be answered first before you even begin to respond to the matter at hand. Generally, left-wing ideas support the notion of equality, while right-wing ideas support the notion of inequality. So, that's why at the far-left spectrum you have communism, which supports a transformation into a classless society, while at the far-right you have fascism, including Nazism, which supports the notion of a genetically superior race that is inherently meant to wipe out the lesser races for a "pure" society. Accordingly, these ideas evidently necessitate an economic component, as wealth/relation to labour is a massive component to equality/inequality.

I know a lot of people try to separate the two, but as I tend to have a materialist view of human relations (the belief that society has mainly been formed by material conditions/people are mainly motivated by material matters, rather than ideological ones) I view it as impossible to separate social policies from economic policies. So, where does that lead us? Well, let's talk about the economic system in which these games were produced. The United States, the United Kingdom and Japan, the countries where the majority of these games were developed, have a capitalist economic system. Indeed, virtually the entire world does at this point. Now, why is this important? It's because capitalism is an inherently unequal economic system. It is predicated on those who own capital/property using their capital and property to increase their wealth, while those who do not have the capital to live on their own require working for those who do. This is important, as evidently with video games also conforming to that capitalist framework, there's evidently going to be a pro-capitalist/right-wing stance. That is the norm as it stands, and that influence seeps deep into the subconscious to the point that you'd have to actively evaluate and confront it to root it out (though it's impossible to ever do it entirely).

Now, onto the picture itself. I don't think the person who made that really understands what left-wing and right-wing really mean. A major red flag there is the distinction between liberals and conservatives. Unlike how a lot of Americans tend to view of it, the liberal-conservative spectrum really isn't left vs. right. The reality is, both liberals and conservatives adhere to a dedication to the preservation of capitalism. The voting affiliations criteria makes no sense either, as both the Democrats and Republicans share a lot of the same policies/platform. The Republicans are definitely worse/more-extreme, but as it was made clear with this year's primaries and Joe Biden's platform, even the mere hint of more leftist ideas are met with scorn by the Democratic establishment (anti Green New Deal, Medicare for All, etc.) The fact that these initiatives, which don't even advocate for overthrowing of the current system, but rather reform within it, are being shot down is evidence enough that the Democratic Party can't just equal left.

So, with that being done and over with, I'll just highlight some issues I find. The first the immediately popped in my mind was Spider-Man. Why is that left-wing? Your main ally is Yuri Watanabe, a police officer, and throughout most of the game you're fighting random criminals. You're actively trying to uphold the status quo. On the other hand, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is in the right-wing column, despite the main antagonist being a corrupt police officer. In that case, you're actively fighting against the corrupt police establishment. I know, I know, it's not like CJ is some communist promoting a worker's/peasant's revolution to overthrow the bourgeoisie, but I just found the choices curious.

In doing it the way they've done it, it also creates contradictions. Take Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for example. If sexualization of characters/diversity was an important factor in their decision, why is that in the left-wing column? The game lacks a lot of representation for ethnicities: dark-skinned characters are very sparse, let alone the LGBT representation in the game. The game's roster leans heavily male as well (come on Nintendo, give us more than just Min Min for DLC! You've still got Dixie Kong, Urbosa, Lip, etc. in your own catalog, not even to mention iconic 3rd party characters like 2B, Jill Valentine, etc.). Not to mention that characters like Bayonetta and the Luminary in it, characters who originate from games in the right-wing column.

So, overall, I think the premise of this list itself is flawed. It makes false assumptions on what left/right-wing means, and even within its own rules it doesn't seem to follow it very consistently.

vivster said:
OneTime said:
If you blindly limit yourself to only one political group's ideas you're guaranteed to be wrong 50% of the time...

True in some countries, absolutely untrue in most. Moderate groups will be right 80% of the time while extremist groups will be wrong 80% of the time.

Sounds like bullshit coming straight from /r/ENLIGHTENEDCENTRISM/

In most countries there are moderate left wing and right wing options.  Your particular choice (whichever ever it is) is *not* right 80% of the time.  You just think it is, because you only read news that supports your own choice.

OneTime said:
vivster said:

True in some countries, absolutely untrue in most. Moderate groups will be right 80% of the time while extremist groups will be wrong 80% of the time.

Sounds like bullshit coming straight from /r/ENLIGHTENEDCENTRISM/

In most countries there are moderate left wing and right wing options.  Your particular choice (whichever ever it is) is *not* right 80% of the time.  You just think it is, because you only read news that supports your own choice.

Moderates are by definition more right than anyone else, because they are more sensible in their policy and willing to compromise. It would be a disaster if we had parties that aren't more than 50% in their policy in the right. Or maybe you have a different view of what policy is considered "right".

Germany has been doing mighty fine with their main parties. We have been ruled by the CDU for the past 15 years, which is an undeniably right wing party. While I would never ever vote for them they have made mostly the right decisions, some that may be considered far left by certain countries. That happens when human rights are not considered to be a political statement, but a basic need.

In countries where human rights are a contentious issue, politicians will be more often wrong than right.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

That second picture seems like satire... It's satire, yeah?

The picture in the OP is obviously wrong, as TLOU, Mario, Zelda and Splatoon are all obviously right-wing.

"Although affected by context, video games have long focused on the expulsion of “aliens” (Space Invaders to XCOM), fear of impure infection (Half-Life to The Last of Us), border control (Missile Commander to Plants vs Zombies), territory acquisition (Command & Conquer to Splatoon), empire building (Civilization to Tropico), princess recovery (Mario to Zelda), and restoration of natural harmony (Sonic to FarmVille)."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/12/video-games-fuel-rise-far-right-violent-misogynist

Just kidding.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]